Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

HDR1 playback issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Bjorn
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Bjorn Posted: Wed, Jan 29 2014 4:17 PM

Does anyone here have a technical component knowledge on the HDR1? My issue is that when playing recorded media from the HDR1, there is a vertical blue/green bar that is present.  Due to lack of experience on these, I cannot tell whether it is recording this signal or if it is just present on playback. I did test recordings using both scart and RF input, and the same bar appears whilst playing the recorded media.

Everything else on the machine works fine. In service mode, no error codes are reported.

Any ideas? I don't want to go down the route of replacing modules if it's just a component that needs replacing.

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

Where exactly is the vertical blue/green bar on the screen and about how wide is it ?

What is your signal source for your records ?

Regards Keith....

Bjorn
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Bjorn replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 5:33 PM

Thanks for your message.

The bar is just off centre to the left of the screen and is approx just over an inch (on an MX4000)

main signal source is my sky+ box and my beocord VX7000

synth
Top 500 Contributor
Off piste
Posts 105
Bronze Member
synth replied on Wed, Jan 29 2014 11:45 PM

One of the B&O repair agants here actually warned me off buying an HDR1.....

You might have a job ahead of you.

Bjorn
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Bjorn replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:17 AM

sounds like it. I have had varying reports about HDR1. Most about the cost of repair. Unlike other B&O schematics, there are no drawings of PCB components, all the useful information. Rather the focus has been on modular replacements, which for me is not the best way of repairing these items. As most of the AV board consists of surface mounted components, getting the correct rating for capacitors in almost impossible without detailed schematic diagrams. 

In the old days I would just look up the board, locate the component needing to be checked and get it done, but the manual just doesn't help. 

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 10:50 AM

If the problem is within the HDR1 then you can buy another for well under £100: there is one on Lifestyle at £95 right now. Keep your old one for future module substitution.

I have an HDR1 bought on eBay, and I suspect from a dealer who seemed to sell odd bits of B&O privately  from time to time. This was some time ago by the way. Every now and then there is a momentary loss of sound on my recordings, just for a split second, but really annoying once you notice it. I had a feeling that this might have been a fault from the outset, returned to the dealer  for an exchange by the original purchaser, and then the dealer has disposed of it privately knowing that this minor fault might go unnoticed for some time.

I originally bought the HDR1 for its later STB PUC: this was a much cheaper way of upgrading my BV5 than having a dealer change the TV's internal PUC chip.

Graham

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@vikinger

But which devices/tuners are supported by the original PUC in the HDR1?

Probably none of the recent MPEG4-tuners?

And then you would have to let it update anyway (ok - comes cheaper, because you can carry the HDR1 to the dealer).

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 11:42 AM

Millemissen:

@vikinger

But which devices/tuners are supported by the original PUC in the HDR1?

Probably none of the recent MPEG4-tuners?

And then you would have to let it update anyway (ok - comes cheaper, because you can carry the HDR1 to the dealer).

MM

True. But it was the best option at the time.... I am not saying that it would help with any current tuners. But, yes you are correct.... It is cheaper to take your HDR1 to a dealer for a chip upgrade than to call them out to your BV5!

Graham

Bjorn
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 35
Bronze Member
Bjorn replied on Fri, Feb 14 2014 6:54 PM

Could the vertical blue/green bar be due to a problem with the scart connector? Locating the component on the AV board which is failing is causing a lot of problems. I wish B&O had produced more detailed diagrams.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS