Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beovox S22 vs 1702

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

machineage
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 69
Bronze Member
machineage Posted: Sun, Feb 16 2014 6:05 PM

Hi everyone :)

I just wondered if anyone had experience of the S22 and 1702 and which sounded better in your opinion?

I was looking to use some for a simple surround setup in a bedroom - and for listening to music.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 6:16 PM

Both types are fairly sweet sounding but Beovox 1702 wins if you ask me.
Mainly because of its dome tweeter.

Martin 

machineage
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 69
Bronze Member

Hi Martin

Did the S22 not have a dome tweeter?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 6:42 PM

Sorry, yes they do.
I was thinking about the Beovox S25. They don't.
Still, the 1702 wins in my world.
I use a pair of Beovox 1702 in my repairshop because they produce a wonderful sound for their small size, I can
listen to them for hours without getting tired and I find them perfect for reference use.

Martin

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 11:20 PM

S22s are lovely little speakers - I had a pair and they sounded superb for their size. The S25 which replaced it had a cone tweeter as Martin says and was a distinct downgrade. The S22 is also very nicely finished - much nicer than the later speakers. The 1702 is also good though it doesn't have the curved front so is slightly less interesting to look at!! Smile

Peter

machineage
Not Ranked
United Kingdom
Posts 69
Bronze Member
machineage replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 12:02 AM

Thanks Smile

I have also looked at the S30 which would fit into my space requirements and have a dome tweeter? I see there were two models during their production life - not sure what the differences were?

Would I be correct in saying all of the above except the S22 use a rubber surround for the woofers?

Cleviebaby
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, United Kingdom
Posts 672
Bronze Member
machineage:

Would I be correct in saying all of the above except the S22 use a rubber surround for the woofers?

The 1702s certainly do and I would agree with Martin on their sound.

Your intention to use them in a surround sound system is interesting. I have used mine as the 'rears' using the ambiophonic capability of the Beomaster 4400. It wasn't a total success, but that wasn't the fault of the 1702s.

Cleve
pepps
Top 500 Contributor
Kent, UK
Posts 116
Gold Member
pepps replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 4:05 PM

I used a pair of 1702s when I first moved out of home - they were "borrowed" from my parents' Beogram 1500 set-up and I sort of accidentally forgot to ever return them. I loved their sound - they followed me around all the flats and houses I shared in Leicester and London as I flitted from job to job. They provided a close and intimate listening experience in box rooms (all I could afford when I was younger) and also played the central role as the speakers in a loud hi-fi set-up at various house parties.

They're beautifully built and have stood up well to years of "travelling" with me.

Once one of the tweeters fell out once as a drunk friend of mine bumped into the book case the speaker was placed on. The cabinet fell off the bookcase and onto the floor, the tweeter popped out like a cartoon eye! I gently put it back in and it's been flawless ever since. The cabinet is finished in Rosewood and the aluminium trim around its edge is still sharp, clean and defines the form of each of the gorgeous little boxes.

I wonder what you went for in the end? Do tell.

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Cant compare, but I LOVE 1702. 
got a pair for equal 20 euros in shiny white, , recapped and was stunned of what I heard.
Will never let go of them,  :)

My re-capped M75 are my precious diamonds.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS