Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Anyone take their 220v B&O equipment to the US?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik Posted: Sat, Apr 28 2012 1:50 PM

If you did what did you do?  Get 220v Euro sockets dropped in your house?  Use a step up transformer?  Get the equipment converted?

I'm moving to the US from Australia and am not sure what to do with my stuff.  Selling it here and buying it new there doesn't look like a good option.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Depending on what you have. Some of the B&O can be changed to 110 V without problems, but if not, step up transformers are the easiest solution.

I use a 220 installation, but it was easy to do as I renovated an old house. before that I used step up.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Sat, Apr 28 2012 4:35 PM

I found this old thread I started when I first thought about moving:

http://archivedarchivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/39111.aspx

Good answers in there and also step up transformers look like an affordable solution.

Did yours cause any interference or degradation in sound?  Also what size did you need for your equipment?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

dilznik:
Did yours cause any interference or degradation in sound?  Also what size did you need for your equipment?

Never had problems, except for one old step up humming a little, dont remember the brand, at moment I have this one but only use it occasionally.

If using surge protector, use it before the step up. Use step ups with 30 % more capacity (Watts) than the items max. watts. And use grounded outlets.

With 220 outlets installed everything is much simpler and easier, and a step up use more power than direct connected 220 V.

If you have older turntables you may get problems with 50/60 Hz, motors will run faster.

dilznik
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
dilznik replied on Mon, Apr 30 2012 2:04 PM

Fantastic info, thanks.  This looks like the way to go.

One more question: how does one go about finding the wattage?  And are you able to plug a power bar into it?  I'd like to use one that will have the BS4, the two BL6000s and the Beoport all plugged in to one transformer.

I guess that's two questions.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Check your items here, and remember to get a step up at least 30 % bigger, power bar no problem

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS