Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Power Block on 8002 poor contact fix

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

RAJOD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Silver Member
RAJOD Posted: Wed, Oct 8 2014 11:45 AM

I recently took apart one of my working 8002s to lube it and check the belt and also to put the top back on the power block, it was 1/8" up on one side so the lid would not shut all the way.

It was a simple fix just snapping the black cover all the way on.   So now its flush with the top of the cabnet.

But...  When its all the down sometimes the power light will cut out during play.  The fix is to put my hand under the turntable and push up on that power block so its no longer flush, then its fine.   If I push it back down where it looks cosmetically good and lid shuts it will sometimes lose power.

I put the power block from my parts 8002 into it and the same thing, it does not like to be all the way down.

I used contact cleaner on those long pins on the pc board that it slides onto but it did not help.   

What next?   Sand them?

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Oct 8 2014 1:50 PM

Reflow the solder joints for the transformer connector on the board.

Martin 

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Oct 8 2014 3:12 PM

On mine, the connector just was pushed slightly in. I had to open the can to push it back into place.

Jacques

RAJOD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Silver Member
RAJOD replied on Thu, Oct 9 2014 3:19 AM

Nice Dillen!

I had not soldered anything in like 20 years, don't even have a iron,    That short kept getting worse to the point I drove out to Radio shack and got a 25/40 watt iron.    I was a bit worried about flowing solder to the adjacent pins and had no remover or sucker.    

Well I went for it.   Opened up the case again, set the heat to 25 watt (290) and then held the iron to each pin (I think there are 8 or so)  and crossed my fingers.

I only held it there for 8 seconds per pin and I could see it just starting to melt.    Probably not as good as if I added more solder but it WORKS!!!  no more power outages.

Thanks for the good advise.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS