Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beloab 5000 speakers, connection options

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

BeoMarius
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
BeoMarius Posted: Wed, Aug 19 2020 8:31 PM

Hello

So I got my first B&O products today, a pair of Beolab 5000 active speakers. When I got home I set the selector switches to N and A and connected my phone to the line in connectors with a standard minijack to rca cable, just to verify that they work.

Sadly, one of them did not play. It seems to power up, showing the red status LED in the front, but no sound. I connected the seller and it turns out he never used the line in connections himself, but he had used both the power link and the speaker link connections. I'm getting a DIN speaker plug connector tomorrow to see if it's hopefully only the line in that's dead, but now I have some questions:

1. Is this a common issue with simple fix? (he asked hopefully)
  2. From the manual I see that the sockets are rated:
    • Power Link: 1 V/ 100kOhm
    • Line In: 1 V / 33kOhm 
    • Speaker link slectable: 11.3 - 16 - 22 V / >47kOhm . 
    • I'm not sure how to interpret this, does it state the expected/suitable signal voltage and the input impedance...?
  3. Is it advisable to use the speaker link or power link sockets with a generic audio source? Which is better suited?

Hoping for some answers, for some or all questions above :)

Br

Marius

BeoMarius
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
BeoMarius replied on Sat, Aug 22 2020 4:46 PM

... so did I say something wrong or does no one here know the difference between power link, speaker link and line in? 

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
BeoMarius:

... so did I say something wrong or does no one here know the difference between power link, speaker link and line in?

(1) Powerlink inputs are best used if you have a B&O source, like a BeoMaster or BeoSound or BeoCenter with Powerlink outputs. The outputs are pre-amp level, volume controlled analog with both left and right channel in one socket. If the source has DIN Powerlink sockets, then the BL5000 status displays should light up and tell you source, volume level and track/program number.

(2) Speaker link inputs are best used if you have an amplifier WITHOUT a pre-amp level output, I.el only a passive speaker level output. The BL5000 has built-in attenuators to tale the speaker level signal back down to pre-amp level, before amplifying it again.

The Link part of this input allows an enabled BeoMaster / BeoCenter to tell the BL5000 which source is playing, and maybe volume (not sure).

(3) Line In allows you to connect any non-B&O source with pre-amp level, volume controlled analog outputs. Note that most phones need to have their volume turned right up to provide enough output from the speakers.

Have you correctly set the Audio/Video/Off sliders on the side of both speakers? Either Audio or Video should do the trick with the RCA inputs.

Lawrence
BeoMarius
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
BeoMarius replied on Sun, Aug 23 2020 8:24 AM

Hello Lawrance

Thank you very much for replying. This answers all my questions regarding the inputs, thanks for the education.

lawrencejmcook:
Have you correctly set the Audio/Video/Off sliders on the side of both speakers? Either Audio or Video should do the trick with the RCA inputs.

No I had not... I had found and wondered about the selector but I didn't realize it was a slider. Switching the "faulty" speaker to audio/video (can confirm that both work) makes it come alive Big Smile

Thank you so much!

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
BeoMarius:

Hello Lawrance

Thank you very much for replying. This answers all my questions regarding the inputs, thanks for the education.

No I had not... I had found and wondered about the selector but I didn't realize it was a slider. Switching the "faulty" speaker to audio/video (can confirm that both work) makes it come alive

Thank you so much!

Entirely my pleasure, Marius - glad I could help.

The purpose of the sliders is to display the correct source, whether the speakers were connected to a BeoVision with Powerlink, or a BeoMaster/BeoCenter with Powerlink, e.g. it would display TV instead of Radio when connected to a BeoVision and the slider set to Video.

I have a pair of BL5000and think that - given the size of the drivers - the sound is amazing! I wish you many happy listening hours.

Suggestion: for some “B&O magic “ try enabling the displays by buying a cheap BeoMaster/BeoCenter/BeoSound with DIN Powerlink outputs. You’ll also need the correct Powerlink Mk2 (fully wired) cables.

L
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS