Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002- Am I in for a big Repair?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

DavidNYC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
DavidNYC Posted: Sun, Dec 14 2014 3:09 AM

I purchased a Beogram 4002 on ebay. When I received it I removed both top cover  panels including the platter, subplatter to look inside. I did not remove the "control" panel on the lower right. When I plugged it in and hit the "On" button the motor spins for a few seconds and at the same time the pick up arm moves to the left then back to the right and comes to a rest. When the pick up arm comes to a rest the motor stops turning and that's about it! Also, no cartridge is installed.

The fine adjustment register does not light up and no other functions on the control panel seem to work when touched or a least move the pick up arm.  

Break it to me easy. How bad is it?

On the bright side the turntable is in beautiful looking condition...

Thanks

David

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Attach a pickup, put a record on the platter and try again.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

DavidNYC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
DavidNYC replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 3:30 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

Unfortunately, I don't have one at the moment. I ordered one from Soundsmith but I know that should take a few weeks/ months. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I just got nervous when I didn't even see the fine adjustment register light up.

Thanks again

David

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 6:10 AM

What type of Beogram 4002 is it?  I currently have a type 5503 apart on my bench. That is the type with the AC motor and heavier platter (one of the early series after the famous Beogram 4000).  I have a working type 5523 that I bought back in 1977. That has the DC motor and lighter platter. All of the 400x turntables are nice in my opinion. Considering their age, anyone picking up a used one should be prepared to restore it unless it was sold as already refurbished.  If you your deck is in nice cosmetic condition and all of the internals are present, then the worst case you have is some restoration ahead but it will be worth it. My deck originally came with an MMC 4000. Later I picked up an MMC 6000 followed by some MMC 20CL cartridges. I like the 20CL cartridges the best although the MMC 6000 is very nice too.

So in answer to what you are in for...
If you picked up a 400x series Beogram that hasn't been worked on for ten years, then it is likely due for some restoration.
If you picked up a 400x series Beogram that hasn't been worked on since it was new (in the 70's), then for sure it needs some restoration.

What condition was it advertised as?

DavidNYC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
DavidNYC replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:12 PM

I have a 5503. The condition was advertised as working up till six months before the sale but at that time it went unused. It was not sold by the original owner who passed away. I am very happy with the cosmetic condition of the turntable. Even the control panel which is normally discolored is in beautiful condition with no discoloration.  I was just hoping for a little more then what I described above.

I'm going to bring it to Soundsmith for the restoration but I wanted to do a few things on my own. I polished the stainless steel cover plates and wood frame, cleaned the brass male plug from the tarnish and cleaned the male DIN plug. I also wanted to clean the old hard grease off the two  tone arm guide rods. I was able to clean one side but I wanted to move the tone arm to clean the other side. I was unable to move the arm manually so I thought I could move the arm using the control panel. No such luck!

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:23 PM

DavidNYC:

When I received it I removed both top cover  panels including the platter, subplatter to look inside. I did not remove the "control" panel on the lower right. When I plugged it in and hit the "On" button the motor spins for a few seconds and at the same time the pick up arm moves to the left then back to the right and comes to a rest. When the pick up arm comes to a rest the motor stops turning and that's about it! Also, no cartridge is installed.

I'd say that given the conditions of the test, that sounds okay.

No stainless steel here, just aluminium. What do you mean, polish?

Jacques

DavidNYC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
DavidNYC replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:31 PM

I'll take Okay! Good !

I cleaned off the top plates (aluminum) with a product called Signature Multi Surface Cleaning Polish and conditioner. It works great and really did a fine job.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:32 PM

DavidNYC:

When I plugged it in and hit the "On" button the motor spins for a few seconds and at the same time the pick up arm moves to the left then back to the right and comes to a rest. When the pick up arm comes to a rest the motor stops turning and that's about it!

I have 4002 with the DC motor.  The behavior you describe above is what is supposed to happen when you press "Start" on the style of 4002 I have - if you DON'T have a record on the platter.  That is why Soren suggested putting a record on the unit and trying again.

DavidNYC:

The fine adjustment register does not light up and no other functions on the control panel seem to work when touched or a least move the pick up arm.  

Have you tried pressing and holding the "33" button?  That will spin a record so that it can be cleaned while not having any effect on the tonearm.

By the way, this guy has serviced my BG4002.  Good luck.  I love my BG4002 with Soundsmith SMMC20EN.

DavidNYC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
DavidNYC replied on Sun, Dec 14 2014 4:41 PM

Thanks for the tips and advise. I think for now I'll keep my fingers out of this and let the guys at Soundsmith work their magic. They are only about an hour drive from me so I don't have to ship it.

I also want to listen to one of his phono stages as well.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS