Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002 tonearm lifts part way through LP

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

tenelson
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
tenelson Posted: Fri, Dec 19 2014 1:48 AM

I'm working on getting a Beogram 4002 functioning, following a period where it has been unused for a number of years. A record will play, and I've adjusted tracking as in this nice tutorial. However, I have been unable to get through an entire side of an LP...the tonearm always rises. The point at which it rises seems random. How can I fix this?

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Fri, Dec 19 2014 4:59 PM

Welcome to Beoworld. I can not help you with the specific issue. But I can show you where you may find an answer. There have been quite many threads about the 4000 series. Try this - or the Workbench forum:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/27.aspx

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Dec 19 2014 6:11 PM

Welcome indeed.  Check out www.condoraudio.com which is operated by a Beoworld member with masses of experience with this series.  There is a really good link to a restoration of one of these BG's which you may find useful.  Apart from that, Silver and Gold members have access to all of the service manuals.

Dave.

tenelson
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

After some thought, I've determined that the yellow tonearm lifting solenoid has an intermittent short, which causes the tonearm to lift.

I tested this by shorting the two terminals during play, which recreates the problem. 

The coil overheated and started smoking when I first got it running due to a problem with a broken plastic piece on the switch that switches the solenoid voltage from ~21v to ~3v. I thought all was well, but I think now that some of the magnet wire enamel on the solenoid coil melted, which causes a short when it heats up slightly.

I bought some magnet wire to rewind the coil, but I don't understand how to remove the coil from the u-shaped bracket in which it is retained. So...has anyone done this? Or, alternatively, does anyone have one of these solenoids they can sell me from a junked Beogram 4002 or similar?

Thanks!

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

The plastic switch arm end failing off and subsequently the solenoid melting is a well known problem. I believe it was joeyboygolf who rewound a burned solenoid  in his BG6000, you might try searching for the old thread.

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS