Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Record cleaner Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member
Søren Mexico Posted: Tue, Dec 16 2014 3:15 AM

Before I went to McAllen TX, I bought this one

I had one day to test it, so only 5 old and 5 new LPs, there was less nicks and knacks on the the records overall, except for one new one where a lot of this came out, the sound was not better, but less nick and knacks overall, So I do recommend this yellow device.

Here a pic from the basin after cleaning the 10 records, most of the dirt came from the new ones and the inside covers, I provided the new ones with new covers as I do with all my LPs, My old records was more or less clean before cleaning with the Spin Clean, but even so they came out better than before.

Back home I will investigate more, about new record cleaning and the advantage of the older LPs cleaned with this device,

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, Dec 16 2014 4:40 AM

I have looked at that model before.  It looks like a good system.  I'm anxious to hear more about your results.

-sonavor

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Dec 16 2014 7:35 AM

Hello,

I tried the wood glue to clean my 60+ records before digitizing them.

It's not an every day thing to do because it's a long process, but it actually works.

Try googling with these words : wood glue vinyl

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member

Soren, I have one of the Yellow devices as well and  have been using it for a year or two. Amazing amount of junk it removes and leaves in the bottom of the tank. Ideally I would clean the records twice with the machine, once with just distilled water to remove most of the debris and then a second time with the cleaner to remove what is left. That way the cleaner in the tank can be kept and used again and is not so dirty. The instructions say the fluid and can be reused and clean a number of records anyway but it always gets so dirty after just cleaning a few that a two step method seems to make me feel better, even if it may not work better. It is the best cleaning system I have ever had. The electric ones with vacuum pumps would be better I am sure, but expensive.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Dec 16 2014 1:56 PM

This is the equivalent of one I bought via Amazon and have mentioned previously here on Beoworld.  They certainly do work despite the nay sayers - of which there are several.  You only have to look at the state of the cleaning liquid after washing even just one piece of vinyl, including new ones, to see that it works.  The sound quality is improved and the number of 'pops' and crackles is considerably diminished.

Dave.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Tue, Dec 16 2014 1:58 PM

Might have to add this to my Christmas wish-list!

Seems pretty good value as well to me

Ben

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, Dec 16 2014 6:34 PM

Søren Mexico:

Didn't you make a replica of the Spin Clean a year or 2 ago?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:

Søren Mexico:

Didn't you make a replica of the Spin Clean a year or 2 ago?

I did Rich, and it worked good, until it started leaking Big Smile, it is still there and I plan to use it for drying and cleaning the residues there may still be there after using the spin clean, I will set it up coupled to a Hoover, but it is long in the future, as with your help I now have a lot to work on.

Doonesbury
Top 500 Contributor
Landisville, PA, USA
Posts 168
Bronze Member
Doonesbury replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 11:36 PM

I don't want to disparage anyone's ingenuity, but I just spin the records on an old turntable and hold a cotton makeup square moistened with rubbing alcohol against the grooves.  The advantage to this aside from the easy supply purchasing is that since I'm pushing down on a small area, the cleaning will still get to any record warps or dips.

D

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Thu, Dec 18 2014 11:40 PM

Doonesbury:

I don't want to disparage anyone's ingenuity, but I just spin the records on an old turntable and hold a cotton makeup square moistened with rubbing alcohol against the grooves.  The advantage to this aside from the easy supply purchasing is that since I'm pushing down on a small area, the cleaning will still get to any record warps or dips.

D

There are at least as many ways to clean a record as there are people in the world playing records.

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Dec 19 2014 8:51 AM

Doonesbury:

D

One of the disadvantages of this method is in your answer in that you are 'pushing down' so some dirt etc will be pushed down into the grooves by the material you are using.  One advantage of the cleaner shown here is that the surface is flooded with liquid and the agitating brushes loosen the dirt which falls out of the grooves and into the cleaning solution.  This device allows for warps and dips too.  As has been said, there are multiple ways of cleaning vinyl.  Some methods suit some more than others.

Of all of the record cleaners I have, the old Parastat is by far the best as it's a 2 stage process wet and dry.  This one on sale is only 1 piece, the other part oif the kit is missing and is a round velvet cylinder with a sponge wick inside for distilled water:

http://knoppix.net/store/Vintage-Chrome-Parastat-Model-Mkiia-Record-Cleaning-Brush-Vinyl_251710936970.html

These are getting very rare now and if anyone sees one, you should snap it up.  It's widely recognised as a gem for record cleaning.  Another part kit with better picture is here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PARASTAT-MK-IIA-VINYL-RECORD-CLEANING-MACHINE-/111549558728?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_186&hash=item19f8df2fc8

Dave.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I have now cleaned 153 LPs with the record washer, I use the provided liquid as recommended, and added some drops of Kodak Photo-Flo 200 to get the water to run off faster and better.

Needed is a drying rack, to let the water run off before drying with micro fiber rags, after cleaning I add new inner sleeves from Mobile Fidelity

Here the clean liquid before starting

After 15 records

After 30 records

After 50 records the liquid was a little more dirty, but the records cleaned was 25 new ones and 25 older ones, but all of them cleaned before with other means. I went on cleaning all my older records, and had to change the liquid after aprox. 30 records.

The provider recommend to turn the records 3 revolutions in each direction, I found for older records 6 revolutions is better for first time cleaning.

I thought my records were clean, but not so. The provided microfiber rags are useless. I let the records dry off in the rack until they all stops dripping, then dry off with the rags, the provided rags gets wet after 5 records, I use my own heavier rags that last longer. After drying with the rags I leave the records stacked upright with 1 cm space between them to dry off totally, about 1 hour, then into new inner sleeve and into the cover. 50 records takes me about 3 hours.

I recommend this cleaner, after cleaning 150 records using 6 batches of liquid, there is still nearly half a bottle left of the 4oz bottle. I may have changed the liquid too frequently, but to my eyes after cleaning 30 old records the liquid was dirty. One time I left the liquid in the cleaner over night, took out the brushes cleaned them and left out to dry, next morning I put in the brushes again and started where I left. No problem what so ever. Some of the older records had tracks where the pickup was jumping, I have tried several times to clean these records with different brushes and liquids to no avail. Testing these tracks now, out of 10, 8 are good, some of these with a little noise, but no more jumping pickup. Static noises are nearly gone (the new sleeves may have helped there too). I noticed on the oldest records some finger prints still visible, so maybe a 2nd cleaning may be needed.

Ricardo
Top 200 Contributor
Moonbase 5
Posts 418
Bronze Member
Ricardo replied on Sat, Feb 7 2015 8:38 PM

Looks good and not too expensive. I clean mine in the kitchen sink with  dish soap and warm water. Just like doing dishes. I use cotton cloth for cleaning and drying. This however looks a bit more professional.

The You tube demo

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Ricardo:

Looks good and not too expensive. I clean mine in the kitchen sink with  dish soap and warm water. Just like doing dishes. I use cotton cloth for cleaning and drying. This however looks a bit more professional.

The You tube demo

I did the same Richard, this is better.

bidstonhall
Top 200 Contributor
Thailand 5560 miles from Struer
Posts 363
Bronze Member

Good video, thanks

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 5:40 AM

This is what I currently use:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/record-doctor-v-vacuum-cleaning-machine-lets-your-fingers-do-walking

it works well. A bit more expensive but I like the vacuuming off of the cleaner and dirt. Very easy to use. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member

Hello Søren,

i agree that the cloths that came with the record cleaner get damp after just a few records and so I switched to a thicker micro-fiber cloth. The problem I found with the micro-fiber is that when I cleaned my stylus their was a lot of fuzz from the cloth that ended up on the records. Have you had this happen with your micro-fiber cloths? Not sure how easy a real cloth diaper is to find these days but I may try that.

John

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

@ John, I had no problems with lint from my microfiber cloth, and it was a cheap packet of 6 pieces, I have another type of microfiber where lint came off, but after a tour in the in the washing machine they came out good. For my wood works I use old cotton T-shirt rags and I think they will do the same as the as the microfiber cloth, The best way to dry off the records I think would be a vacuum system, with rags they never get totally dry and there must be some residues left in the tracks. I have now after cleaning all my records been playing about 50 records and my needle is still clean.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Feb 8 2015 10:09 PM

This thread was initially placed in the B&O Vintage Products forum section.
Basically, it is neither about a vintage product nor a B&O product, but I find it a very interesting read, both related, valueable and
useful to our common hobby, so I have moved it to the Beogram forum section, where I feel it belongs.

Martin
Beoworld moderator

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Ordnung muss sein Laughing

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS