Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 9000 - One VU stuck at max

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
dave_n_s Posted: Sun, May 10 2015 10:58 PM

I've almost finished bringing a Beocord 9000 back to life. I'll note what I've done in case I'm the problem.

- on numeric display one segment out and one intermittent - replaced complete display with one from an 8004, purchased as a spares machine for $25 a couple of years ago. I think it just paid for itself!

- belt change - realized they're the same as a set I had for an 8004

- fuse replacement - had to do this on every 8000 / 9000 I've opened, does running the motor with bad belts kill them?

So far got just two issues on test:

- FFWD not working (going to follow Sonavor's method and de-gunk the mechanism as I have no missing / floating parts. 

- Left VU stuck at full level. I've had a look at the circuit diagram and suspect the only single failure that could cause this would  be around TR5 / TR6 - is the circuit a comparator that provides a return for the relevant voltage LED when that voltage is provided by those two transistors and their opposite numbers for the other channel.

Advice on this stuck VU would be much appreciated.

One observation is that on test this old guy sounds absolutely fantastic playing a tape I recorded on a very fancy Yamaha deck 20 years ago,  via the headphone output and a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1s that I've had for at least 20 years. 

dave_n_s
Not Ranked
Posts 54
Bronze Member
dave_n_s replied on Tue, May 12 2015 6:47 AM

The VU indication problem has gone - oddly it went as soon as I started testing record functions and moved the MIC-AUX-AMP switch to AMP. I could not make it return by operating that switch.

A couple of other observations:

- it responds very nicely to remote commands via my Beomaster 5500 and pressing play takes over the replay priority just as it does on a Beocord 5000 / 5500. Full marks to B&O for not changing the logic, even though they introduced a new IR implementation between Beomaster 5000 and 5500.

- because I was using two B&O devices, I left the DIN / Line switch at DIN initially. Recordings were distorted (and the record level controls below 2) on output to the Beomaster and direct to headphones. I switched to Line and all was well. Line OUTPUT levels can be adjusted, but I don't think input sensitivity can be adjusted via a user control. I'll dive into the specs for both the Beocord 9000 and the Beomaster 5500, but it doesn't make sense to me that two B&O units aren't matched at DIN levels in and out.

Comments appreciated

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS