Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4002, Type 5513 RCA to DIN conversion.. BEWARE!

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu Posted: Sat, Jul 27 2013 11:37 AM

HI to all,

I know that, usually, people wants to make the opposite conversion, but I have a beogram 4002, Type 5513 that I never used since the DIN was converted to RCA long ago and the other receiver I have is a beomaster 2400... (and I didn't wanted the tons of adapters that situation would have required..)

It's been a tedious task so I thought I would share my experience, in case somebody else would be in the same situation.

When I searched on the web, I saw few exemples of what I needed to make the repair, however, on other B&O models... most of them showed the left out being a blue wire (pin 3) and the right out a red one (pin 5)...That's what I did.... No sound at all! However, A good look at the proper manual (Type 5514-5524) rectified the thing. This is the pinout configuration:

Pin 1 and 4 are not usually used. These are the extra connections for the optional CD4 decoder. Each pinouts goes to P9 on 6 pins, that are numbered 1-6, from left to right:

And this is the actual configuration of my beogram:

So I have, from 1 to 6, yellow, blue, orange, red, common ground (bronze wire wrapping) and ground chassis (silver wire wrapping). By doing the math with the schematics above, I get this actual DIN pinout configuration (Which is completely the opposite of what I thought):

Yellow is the actual front left channel and orange the right one..

I don't know if the color configuration is always the same on these model of 4002 but the lesson is: Always look at the schematics to be sure ..

It worked. Fine, but then I had some weird distortion in both outputs. I was being nervous again. My first thought was that I messed with the continuity of some wires. Everything was fine. Then I thought about the cartridge: a MMC 10E that I salvaged from an old BG 1600. Maybe it was bad. I tested with the MMC 20CL I have on my 8000. Sound was way better. So the other cartridge was probably bad. Then I thought about the tracking. Searching on this wonderful site, I've found this: 1,5 gram for the MMC 10E.

At last! I'm not just looking at this system now..

Guillaume

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 2:23 PM

Well done Guillaume,  and very useful information! Smile

Jacques

cozza
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
cozza replied on Thu, Oct 2 2014 3:03 AM

I just used your nice detailed post to replace a DIN plug on my 4002. Worked like a charm - thanks!

chuck
Not Ranked
wilmington, DE 19804
Posts 1
Bronze Member
chuck replied on Wed, Feb 18 2015 3:15 PM

This was a HUGH help, Thank you. my Old beogram 4004 TT works great..!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS