Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram CD 50 needs help finishing the service

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member
Bernd Kayser Posted: Thu, Feb 5 2015 6:47 PM

Hallo,

I' m new here in posting but not in reading. With the help of the fantastic  thread from Sören Mexico I went on

giving a cd 50 I bought "not working" a service. Only mechanically, I'm not experienced in repairing electronics. I changed the belt, cleaned and lubricated all things and put them together in the right way (hope so).

But unfortunately something is wrong : the cd is loaded, but the procedure stops when the lift has to go down a little bit. When I turn the gear with my finger so that the lift goes down the cd starts and  the player works quite normal. 

Has anyone an idea what helps to that missing step? I can't find it out.

Looking forward to some helpfull hints.

Bernd

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Thu, Feb 5 2015 6:50 PM

Sounds like the mechanism is out of sync. Are you sure you put all the gears back in the correct places? As I understand it you have to ensure the gears are meshing in exactly the right places.

Lee

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 8:00 AM

Welcome!

Check the height of the brass nut over the big wheel. I had the same problem exactly a few years ago and it took me some time to figure out what was wrong. It seems that this is not an issue on all versions of this Aiwa mech. 

Also, it could be that the belt, not being tight enough, doesn't have enough torque to finish the sequence.

I even found that it wasn't necessary at all to mark the gears for correct placement after all.

Jacques

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 10:31 AM

chartz:

I even found that it wasn't necessary at all to mark the gears for correct placement after all.

Correct, but it does make things much easier for non-tech people at the kitchen table guided only by forum posts and emails. Laughing

Martin

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Thank you for your replies.

I tinkered a bit with that brass knob. But without any result. Nevertheless I found it a little bit hard going when I pushed the gear with my finger.

And then :  I saw that little gap where you can see the belt. And it was slowly creeping forwards when the gear stopped. Perhaps that is it.

Shall I use another belt? I bought this one at an ebay-seller last winter already (I do these things only during wintertime ) and thouht  that it is very thin.  

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Feb 6 2015 7:02 PM

The belts for B&O you will find on the Internet are usually pretty useless.

Ask Martin, aka Dillen! 

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Get a belt from Martin, and adjust the brass nut so the gear has about 0.1 mm radial play. Finger tighten the nut until it sits block with the gear, then loosen the nut about 1/3 turn, check that the gear is moving freely. In the weekend I will open a CD50 I got from Rich.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

OK , I think you are right, chartz. I try to order a better one from Martin. Contact over this forum or how does it work?

Regards

Bernd

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Contact Martin

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Thank you Sören, just done.

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Hello again,

in the meantime I got a new belt from Martin and all worked as it should. With a little exception. When a CD is very long the last two or three tracks do not come. But I think I have already seen the reason: the CD wobbles and I think at the end its too much movement for the laser to read.  So I think I have to controll the CD-motor.

By the way, I just had the chance to buy a complete new kit CD 50 Terminal with original box, manual , installation description and electronic. Rather rare item now I think.

Bernd

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Mar 11 2015 5:56 AM

No pictures: it did not happen!

Jacques

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

You want a picture of that kit, right? I would post it but don't know how to do. I couldn't find any advice. Not so familiar with pc-management!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Mar 12 2015 7:09 PM

Disc wobbling can cause focus problems, that's true, but we must keep in mind that at the time of
Beogram CD 50 production, CDs were limited to a playing time of apprx. 74min (Redbook format).
The 78 and 80min CDs came later.
Most Beogram CD 50 versions will happily play it all, but I would never expect all to do it.
If your Cds run past 74mins this could be the reason.

Check the block number. It's on the internal label, sitting at the right side of the vertical
divider metal plate between the sandwiched circuit boards at the center and the rightmost circuit board.
It's a stamped or hand-written number/letter in the hex range (1 to F).
The number will not tell us how many and which (if any) post-production revisions were made but it
will tell the basic version.

Martin

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Mar 12 2015 8:21 PM

Philips machines of this era will read wobbly CDs very well (and you can see the swing arm work hard, wobbling about very quickly!), but these Aiwa machines will have more difficulty to read badly centered ones, yes. My CDP-101 reads everything though. 

Jacques

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Thank you for answering, interesting infos. I am going to check it.

Bernd Kayser
Not Ranked
Freienwill, Germany
Posts 21
Bronze Member

Very interesting information about that cd history. I checked the cd I had problems with and found out its playing time is 80 min. That's quite that what Martin told us! Two times the player stopped in the last track, but  I could restart it and it played to the end then. Seemed to me like the mechanic had to get used to play that long way. Of course I did some slight regulations to the cd platter. Now the cd runs more straight.

I checked that inner label, and it says : B 8 (not sure the stamped figure is not clear)  51211213. Does this number tell us something? 

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS