Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 1800 Type 5213 - some questions!

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

soapytwist
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
soapytwist Posted: Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:13 AM

Hi - I took delivery of this turntable recently:

https://flickr.com/photos/19134612@N02/sets/72157652018415385

It has all all the usual problems of age plus a few more! Hopefully someone who has one can answers some of my questions, and if anyone has a scan of the manual they can send, that would be great!

Questions:

1. Oiling/greasing - in my flickr photo of the innards I've added numbers for places where I think I need to relubricate. I know (3) needs sewing machine oil soaked into the felt (I'm presuming there will be a similar set up on the other end when I dismantle it), but do the bearings need graphited, sillicone, or lithium grease? Also, at (1), (2) and (4), which grease do they need?

2. The turntable was sent to me by courier and I have a feeling that the auto mechanism may have been jolted. When I finally get it to work (dried grease is the main reason for it taking a while!), the tonearm seems to be thrown sideways at speed across the platter, rather than moved in a controlled manner and slowly dropped. Any ideas as to which bit of the mechanism I need to look at?

3. When I hit the black button on the right to stop the platter, it just stops. I was half-expecting the tonearm to return to its starting position, but without the manual I can't tell if this is normal procedure. Is it?

4. It's in great cosmetic condition for its age, but the feet have worn flat - is there any modern day replacement available for these?

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:24 AM

Fantastic turntable. Probably my favorite in my collection and pretty unusual too.

Someone with more technical knowledge will I'm sure help you here. I have been looking for a User Manual for a while but there is the Service Manual on site for Gold/Silver members. 

I can tell you that by pressing the black button the turntable will stop and the arm lift but the tonearm will not return to end. As far as I know this is normal procedure. 

A common problem with these machines and the whole 1200 range is the motors getting stuck and therefore running too slow (or not at all). How does yours run at the moment?

The feet on mine have also been destroyed over the years but I have used some felt pads which you can buy from eBay etc. Martin (Dillen) recently supplied me with some brilliant replacement pads for my Beomaster 900M but I am not sure he has the right ones for this model.

Hopefully someone can help you further!

Great photos by the way

Ben

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:40 AM

Welcome to Beoworld Chris.

Veru nice TT and pictures.  Rather than using sewing machine oil (which is usually OK) try 'Liquid Bearings'.  It's a synthetic oil but does not dry out - unlike sewing machine oil over time.  It's a great bearing oil.  Easily available via eBay and possibly Amazon.

Try cleaning and relubricating before trying to make any adjustments.

I'd think a moly grease would be OK for the other points - I don't like graphite greases as they can make a mess and they also dry out.  Others who have worked on this TT will be better placed to give advice.  There is no information in the service manual regarding lubrication as far as I can see.  I'm also not sure how much you can do with the motor as the manual says it is not serviceable in case of failure and needs to be replaced as a unit - well they would say that wouldn't they?  I'm sure it's been done here before - search the forum for motor servicing etc.

A shame the pre-amp board isn't fitted to it.

Dave.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Fri, Apr 17 2015 11:43 AM

Can confirm that mine was completely stuck but Tim Jarman managed to sort it out for me! I leave things like that to the experts of course! But it can be done for sure.

Ben

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Apr 17 2015 12:19 PM

Beogram 1800 is a semi-automatic deck.
Press start and it will start the platter motor at the selected speed, swing in the tonearm to the selected record size, lower the tonearm and start playing.
At record end - or if you press stop - the tonearm lifts away from the record and the platter motor stops. It does not swing the
tonearm back to parked position. You will have to do this by hand.
All perfectly normal.

Martin

soapytwist
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Thanks for your input. Clean and lubricated, and seems to be working okay (need a DIN adapter to check the speed though as I can only hear via the stylus at present!

My one remaining problem is where the tonearm drops. I know there's an adjustment screw via the hole at the side of the TT, but on mine the tonearm seems to be thrown violently across rather than controlled. The only thing that's slowing it down currently is the adjustable metal pin near the pivot (picture added to my Flickr album) - I'm pretty certain this is only there to lift the tonearm though!

Here's a video of what happens on mine: http://youtu.be/afCbLAKUuNs

Here's how it should look (at about 9'50): http://youtu.be/sjB3CAgKCR0

Here's the pin (along with the scrape mark which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there!): http://flic.kr/p/rUjhTu

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS