Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 1900 (donated by Wouter)

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz Posted: Sun, Feb 15 2015 4:45 PM

Thanks again to Wouter for sending me this nice Beocord!

Here it is, after some cosmetic cleaning. No nicks to spoil its looks!

The to do's so far:

- The record switch has erratic contacts, making one or both channels disappear or hum,

- The head is strongly misaligned,

- The motor is noisy, but this is a quality Swiss motor - as seen in the Beocord 5000 4715 - so it should be fine,

- Two buttons are broken (fast-forward and pause), with the eject one being close to breaking,

- New caps,

- Thorough inside cleaning (something was spilled inside).

The mech does work fine, although it is a bit hard, so maybe new grease will be necessary, with a more complex dismantling.

I could not find any views of the inside, so I will show it here. The take-apart method is nowhere to be found either, but I figured it out...

Jacques

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Mon, Feb 16 2015 9:03 AM

Great thread Jacques, looking forward to progress being made! I'm sure you will have it up to scratch within no time Yes - thumbs up

Ben.

Ben_S
Top 150 Contributor
UK
Posts 631
Bronze Member
Ben_S replied on Mon, Feb 16 2015 9:03 AM

Great thread Jacques, looking forward to progress being made! I'm sure you will have it up to scratch within no time Yes - thumbs up

Ben.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Feb 16 2015 11:20 AM

Thanks, there's not much information on this particular Beocord. The manual is available here, but a few pages are missing, so I might consider buying the real McCoy on eBay.

I guess the broken keys will be hard to find though... and I do not like the glueing solution at all. 

The wooden trims are easy to work on (they are removable) and this will be my first job. The side cheeks are black anodized alu and the wood is glued directly onto the painted casts, and the front trim is glued on a bigger part, with painted profiles, so more fragile. 

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Feb 16 2015 5:48 PM

Here's how you open the beast. Nothing really mysterious but a little observation was required.

Unscrew the three A screws completely. Don't touch the small allen grub screws on their left side, these are used to abjust the cover plate.

Take the cover plate up, then draw it towards you gently. Put it aside.

Now we have to take the left and right cheeks out. Unscrew the two small grub screws a little, until you are able to rotate the alu plate (now free to move to the side, upper part only) then lift it out. Same operation at the other side.

Now it's time to remove the control panel. Since there are no connectors, you will have to move it conveniently to work without dismantling anything more.

Just unscrew the four screws (two each side) and like before rotate the plate (lift the back slightly) then take it out.

Pull (or push!) a little towards the back of the deck to free it.

Now you can get to the serious things!

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, Feb 16 2015 6:18 PM

Nice project!  I have one in the girls' homework room.  It and the very similar BC2400 I have out in the garage are great little playback decks.  Have fun!

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 8:58 PM

Jacques, I`m glad to see that you are happy with it! I completely missed this thread. Is it up and running?

Wouter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 10:27 PM

Almost!

The mechanics are restored (not much else to do than cleaning), new keys fitted.

The recap job is not yet done, but it plays music!

Jacques

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Thu, Apr 2 2015 11:05 PM

Good job!Yes - thumbs up

Wouter

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, May 9 2015 7:35 PM
After an uneventful recap, a bit of contact cleaner in the record/replay switch, I am pleased to inform you that this workhorse of a Beocord records and replay absolutely brilliantly.

Honestly I was not expecting too much of this deck and I was so wrong! I will have to augment bias a little (too much treble on TDKSA) but replay of quality pre-recordeds is really superb. That includes piano.

Time to put the lid back on, and place it next to the Beomaster 1900.

Thanks Wouter! And thanks Martin for the buttons!

Smile

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, May 9 2015 8:01 PM
There!

With my shadow as a bonus. Stick out tongue

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, May 9 2015 11:11 PM
Great deck and great work. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 10 2015 9:15 AM

I am actually! Pity the VU-meters only work when recording though. Perhaps there is a mod?

Rich, I still have your MMC4... Don't you want it back? 

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, May 10 2015 2:27 PM
chartz:

I am actually! Pity the VU-meters only work when recording though. Perhaps there is a mod?

The mod is get a BC2400. Surprise

chartz:

Rich, I still have your MMC4... Don't you want it back?

Sure, but no worries. I don't have a use for it except as a spare.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS