Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram4000 tonearm lowers too far unto the record ??

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF Posted: Mon, May 4 2015 12:54 PM

Hello dear forum members,

My 'long-term' patient is in trouble !

After the hot-running motor issue has settled a new problem surfaced:

After start the carriage moves in position but only stops at the 25cm record beginning, the arm lowers and play just as 'normal'.

After studying the SM's fault-finding flowchart I still can't work out what is going wrong.

30/25=low means exactly what ??

Various spring adjustments were without impact.

What else could have gone wrong.......really stranded guys............please, anyone ??

And Menahem, in case you read this......it is the one with the arm-transplant....  :-((

Thank you for any clues, suggestions or  .......  ??

Cheers - ALF

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, May 4 2015 1:27 PM

Probably just a bad switch adjustment, or a bad switch. Have you tested it?

The red caps over the micro-switches do wear, which affects the deck's functions. There are leaf springs that may need to be bent a little to actuate the first switch. Remove platter and observe what's going on. 

I doubt it is something else. 

Jacques

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Thu, May 7 2015 10:47 AM

Thanks Jacques,

That exactly what I suspected but the shifting alone did not do it however the bending Big Smile

Also lubricated the tips of those red nipples to ensure better gliding of the metal spring.

The arm now lowers at the correct position :-)

I also noticed that the carriage motor does not always engages as soon as the arm is lowered?

After a couple of glides of the carriage for-and backwards it then engages after a re-start once the arm is lowered.

Is this another naughty spring or something more serious ???   

ALF

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, May 7 2015 2:58 PM

Caps, nipples... We have different perspectives! Big Smile

It might be a bad contact at the shutter's bulb connection.

Jacques

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Sat, May 9 2015 11:21 AM

Like your sense of humor Smile

As for the other problem, is it likely that the platter gets up to speed a tick to slow

And therefore the servo of the carriage won't start in time ?

Reason for my question is when I press 'start' the platter seem to have a delay before it is getting up to full speed!

Using the lift and after the platter has reached full speed lower the arm again seem to activate the servo almost immediately

And from there on works perfectly fine ????

Can't see any light flickering at the shutter globe, which could indicate either a faulty bulb or contact problem.

Please correct me if I am barking at the wrong tree - just want this machine to work again.

Cheers - ALF

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, May 9 2015 3:30 PM

In my experience the carriage will even start with no rotation of the platter, or with no platter at all!

Replace the belt anyway.

Jacques

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Mon, May 11 2015 12:56 PM

hello jacques,

you are absolutely right, I obviously expressed myself poorly.

I shall try more acurately:

after 'start' is pressed the carriage moves in position, the arm lowers onto the record but often the spindle-motor does not engage !

use the arm lift, move the carriage forward just a tick, lower the arm again and the spindle motor engages normal ???

this is the point I can not understand  - 'why' ??

I adjusted spring 'A' in various ways, I changed the belt of the spindle motor, even played carefully with the shutter-light trimmer

there seem to be no consistent fault pattern, unless I am blind !

you mentioned a belt change previously -  take it you referred to the belt of the main platter ?!

ALF

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, May 11 2015 4:40 PM

There must be a bad contact somewhere in the way. The bulb remains my favourite suspect.

Jacques

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Tue, May 12 2015 1:14 AM

When I press '33' it always worked so far !

When I adjust the trimmer next to the shutter bulb, that in -or decreases the light intensity, I noticed a flickering bulb, meaning it is not a steady increase in light !!

bulb replacement ? If yes, is it difficult to get/change ??

And/ or still suspicious contact ??..........but where ??

ALF

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Tue, May 12 2015 2:43 AM

ALF:

When I press '33' it always worked so far !

When I adjust the trimmer next to the shutter bulb, that in -or decreases the light intensity, I noticed a flickering bulb, meaning it is not a steady increase in light !!

bulb replacement ? If yes, is it difficult to get/change ??

And/ or still suspicious contact ??..........but where ??

ALF

I was getting bulb flicker when adjusting the light trim pot on my Beogram 4000. The problem was the trim pot was worn.  When I desoldered and checked the trimmer, it had bad spots so I installed a new trimmer. Now the light intensity adjustment is nice and smooth again.

-sonavor

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Thu, May 14 2015 9:33 AM

hi sonavor & jacques,

yes the flickering has stopped thanks to a new trimmer - see pic -  but the initial problem still persists

that sometimes the carriage motor simply does not engage after the arm has lowered onto the record at the correct spot - you try it again and suddenly it works !

once it starts to work,  it works fine for the whole record side..no trouble !

I just ran out of ideas what could possibly be the cause of this - very frustrating !

is it possible that one of those adjustable springs that trigger the red-cap switches causing the effect ?

really like to get the beauty to work again :-))  so,  help is still urgently needed :-))

cheers,  ALF

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member

here they are !

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, May 14 2015 3:20 PM

ALF:

the initial problem still persists

that sometimes the carriage motor simply does not engage after the arm has lowered onto the record at the correct spot - you try it again and suddenly it works !

once it starts to work,  it works fine for the whole record side..no trouble !

I just ran out of ideas what could possibly be the cause of this - very frustrating !

is it possible that one of those adjustable springs that trigger the red-cap switches causing the effect ?

really like to get the beauty to work again :-))  so,  help is still urgently needed :-))

cheers,  ALF

It still sounds like the problem is with the diaphragm adjustment. Look at Beolover's video of the adjustment procedure and circuit operation here.
On my recent Beogram 4000 adjustment, I was going around in circles not able to find a light intensity and diaphragm position that would get the tracking motor working properly. That is when Jacques suggested the tonearm motor belt was probably too tight. Sure enough, the belt was preventing the motor from turning as early as it should.

Run through the diaphragm adjustment procedure without a belt. Disconnect the platter belt, then run the tonearm out over an old record (also recommend using an older cartridge).  After that, disconnect power from the Beogram and remove the tonearm belt. Now power back on and lower the tonearm on the record. Run through the diaphragm procedure by manually turning the platter while gently touching the pulley that is on the tonearm motor. Verify that the pulley starts rotating after four turns of the platter. Perform the test a few times to verify the motor consistently starts within four turns of the platter. If that is the case, then your problem is the belt. If the tonearm motor still reacts intermittently, then there could be an issue with an electrical circuit component for the diaphragm, the positioning of the diaphragm or possibly the motor. But verify the motor tries to turn after four platter revolutions with no load first. 

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Tue, May 19 2015 7:27 AM

Thank you kindly for your suggestions and that great link - much appreciated.

The diaphragm adjustment was not necessary but that metal tongue with the center-slot under the bulb was off-center - I corrected that plus a slight trimmer adjustment and the servomotor does now engage as it should -very happy so far :-):-)

Once again a big thank you -any help is welcome :-):-)

The records keep on spinning!

Cheers - ALF

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS