Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

7 pin DIN switching box

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne Posted: Sun, May 31 2015 9:01 AM

HEY,

Does anybody know if it would be possible to create (or buy) a seven pin DIN switch box so I can expand the number of B&O inputs that can be controlled by my Beomaster 3300

Thanks,

J

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, May 31 2015 9:39 AM

I take it you mean Beomaster 3300. The answer will be yes but what extra sources do you want to add? The purpose of the 7 pin DIN plug is to enable Datalink but the individual sources react differently. For instance, a record player attached to a Tape socket, even a Begram with a built in RIAA, will not react to a Tape command and if you use a Phono command, the Beomaster will change source to whatever is attached to the Phono socket. If remote control is not an issue, a simple 5 pin switching box would work fine.

Peter

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 9:56 AM

Peter:

I take it you mean Beomaster 3300.

*beomaster 3300.

Thanks!

The answer will be yes but what extra sources do you want to add? If remote control is not an issue, a simple 5 pin switching box would work fine.

At the moment I have a CDX connected to the beomaster (w. rca to 5 Din adaptor). I need an input switching box as I would like to also add a beogram CD 3300 to the CD input alongside the CDX. So, In order to retain remote control function of the CD 3300 I would need to find some way of switching from CDX to CD3300 - a 7 pin din connection on the switching box would be essential.

I also would like the ability  to connect an ipod and as I have a Beocord 3300 connected to the tape input, a switch would ideally be needed on that input too.

Is there anyone on here that could make one for me? Or would it be relatively simple to make one myself / ideally buy?

Cheers.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 31 2015 10:28 AM

Not too difficult. But the real question is, why would you like to use two CD players? Is it worth the effort?

Jacques

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 10:44 AM

chartz:

Not too difficult. But the real question is, why would you like to use two CD players? Is it worth the effort?

This probably doesn't sound like a good reason, but I much prefer the sound of the CDX compared to the 3300 but at the same time find it frustrating to have to get up to go and change tracks or stop the playback of the CDX in order to change inputs (the beomaster has a slightly leaky switch on the left channel, so I get CD playback coming through the speakers when using other inputs). So, I would like a switch in order to have the ability to use the remote (be lazy) when I want and have a slightly better sound when it suits. I also need a switching box so I can switch between ipod and the beocord.

So it's a laziness versus sound quality debate! but definitely worth the effort

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 31 2015 11:35 AM

The CD3300 is a bit too harsh? It is more detailed too. I think.

Jacques

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 12:10 PM

That sounds about right - the CDX has a slightly warmer 'analogue' sound (or at least mine does). Any ideas on creating a switching box

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, May 31 2015 12:45 PM

Ideas, yes. Time, none! 

Jacques

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 12:50 PM

There's nothing available for sale online? so, I would have to build it myself?

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 12:51 PM

or would anyone be able to post a how-to guide - I'm crap at electrics and circuitry... 

geearr
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

I think you need one of these but not sure how rare they might be!

Regards

Geoff

geearr
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

Not sure where the second photo went - it has four, 7 pin DINs that you need

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 1:05 PM

That looks like the deal! and presumably yours not for sale? Hmm

geearr
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
geearr replied on Sun, May 31 2015 1:11 PM

Unfortunately, not for sale - I waited a long time for that one.  At least now you know what you are looking for!

Geoff

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, May 31 2015 8:38 PM

Have you asked Steve at Sounds Heavenly. He is normally up for a project.

Peter

joetpayne
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
joetpayne replied on Sun, May 31 2015 9:24 PM

I have managed to find someone who will sell me a b&o aux expander for £40 - seems like a good deal?!

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Peter,

Yes, I have a simpler 2-way cable expander (http://soundsheavenly.com/bang-olufsen/11--aux-y-7pin-.html) or a 4-way expander box (http://soundsheavenly.com/input/18-aux-input-switch-box-for-multiple-input-devices-to-one-aux-socket-4-way.html) in stock.

I'm always happy to consider a project if something more specific is needed! Big Smile

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS