Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Silver top plate and tone arm door on 8002 - Silicon vs 3M tape

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

RAJOD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Silver Member
RAJOD Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2015 3:13 AM

As you probably know the 8002s adhesive tends to dry out causing the lid and top silver cover to loosen.

I did one of mine with some 3M tape but on this next one I'm thinking silicon might be better.  The tape is almost too thick where its hard to get the metal flush with the wood trim.  

Silicon sort of thick like caulk but can be pressed to very thin.   I figure is its strong enough to hold fish tanks together its probably fine for these parts.  

Am I missing something here?   Anyone try this or can think of a reason not to use it?

Jason
Top 500 Contributor
Redditch Worcestershire
Posts 177
Bronze Member
Jason replied on Thu, Jul 16 2015 9:17 AM

I have been thinking of doing exactly that, I've use tape on my bg8000 and due to the limited surface area around the tone arm it occasionally lifts and rubs on the tonearm plastic housing.

i plan to remove the tape I fitted and use silicone .

jason

RAJOD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 159
Silver Member
RAJOD replied on Fri, Jul 17 2015 6:05 AM

I'll do the same.   The silicon drys slow which is nice so you can move the parts around.   But if you need to actually press down (ie the metal is lifting some place, its a bit hard to clamp.    So maybe some kind of weight on areas that need a bit more pressure.

Once it sets its very strong and a bit forgiving as it flexes.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS