Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocentre 2200

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

welle1
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
welle1 Posted: Mon, Sep 14 2015 1:56 PM

I have a Beocentre 2200 with a MMC5 stylus which all of a sudden has stopped playing and has become inaudible. If I put up the volume to maximum I can just hear what the record is producing.

Is there any way of fixing this?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 2:19 PM
Is it just the phono/turntable with the problem or is it the same with the other sources e.g radio or tape?

If only the TT, then the MMC5 probably has a suspension failure and needs a rebuild/re tip by Axel in Germany.

There is always a way to fix something that's broken. If it's financially viable or if you can find someone to fix it are other issues!

Dave
welle1
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
welle1 replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 3:04 PM

Now you mention it I have now tried the radio and it is just the same.

What can I do to solve this?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 4:43 PM

The amplifier for this is a chip based device rather than the darlington transistors occupying the other B&O systems of the time. These can be difficult to source and this system was actually made in Japan and uses components not normally seen in a B&O machine. It is also less designed to come apart so is not the easiest to repair. Combine this with a low value these days and I wonder if I wouldn't look at replacing it. If you were looking for something similar with the three sources, a 7002/7007 or 7700 would be a considerable upgrade and much easier to keep going for years due to the nature of the way it is assembled.

Peter

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Mon, Sep 14 2015 6:15 PM

OK, keep the MMC5 for future use and scrap the BC2200.  Sell some parts like the platter etc.  I think the money you'd spend sorting it out would be better spent on a better vintage system.

Dave.

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Wed, Sep 16 2015 9:18 PM

Did you connect the speakers to the set 2 sockets and forget about the switch at the front ?

Martin

welle1
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
welle1 replied on Thu, Sep 17 2015 11:13 AM

Which switch would that be?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Sep 18 2015 5:03 PM
At the front, next to the headphone socket there should be a button marked 'speaker 2'.

Dave.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS