Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosystem 6500 with Samsung smart tv audio?

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco Posted: Sat, Oct 10 2015 3:44 PM

Feel rather stupid today. Bought a Samsung 22"  (UH5600) tv a few weeks back for my study where the B&O is also located. Expected to be able to use tv audio out for connection to the Beomaster 6500 so i ordered the RCA to DIN cable from Steve at Soundsheavenly.

Finally had some time to try this out today and failed to get any sound at all from my tv to the system, tred different setting for tv audio out, tried different Bombaster input but to no avail.

Anyone now what is wrong here?

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 3:59 PM

Hi cyco.

How are you connecting to the TV? I had a quick look at the manual for this TV and it seems to have component / audio RCA input connections, but I see no mention of any audio output except the headphone socket and the optical digital output (which it says only works with 5.1 broadcasts).

Kind Regards,

Martin.

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:06 PM

Hi,

I was using the two audio outputs you see in the attached picture.

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:09 PM

Sorry, pasting doesn't seem to work. I have 3 component video outputs on the RHS and 2 audio outputs the left of these. I connected to these 2 audio outputs.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:18 PM

The samsung installation manual seems to indicate these are inputs, not outputs (they are labelled component / AV IN in the picture below):

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:20 PM

You are right of course, is definitely input only. So that doesn't leave me with a lot of options to connect , or none at all maybe?

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

You can use the headphone output.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:32 PM

cyco:

You are right of course, is definitely input only. So that doesn't leave me with a lot of options to connect , or none at all maybe?

You could try a 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono adapter and connect to the headphone socket. Ideally you'd want to set the output to fixed volume if the TV supports that (or turn the TV volume up fairly high).

This should work fine, but sometimes the headphone output on TVs can be a bit noisy but it would definitely be worth a try.

Failing that you might be able to use an HDMI audio extractor - ideally one with ARC (audio return channel) support so you can also strip the audio from the TVs inbuilt tuner.

Martin.

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:35 PM

Thank you both, i do already have the iPad to DIN 5pin cable, that would work as well i hope?

Danny

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 4:45 PM

Yep, that'll do the job.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 5:03 PM

It works, i need to set the tv's sound level first as it was quite high after plugging the iPad jack in but that is a minor annoyance. Would it matter which input i use on the Beomaster? I am on Tape2 now.

Danny

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 5:14 PM

Good to hear you've got it working Smile

cyco:
Would it matter which input i use on the Beomaster?

Nope, not at all. The general rule of thumb is any input except the Phono input, but the BM6500 doesn't have an inbuilt RIAA preamp so in this instance you could even choose that input without issue if you wanted to, so just use whichever input you have free and makes most sense to you.

Martin.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 7:38 PM

I use the headphone output with my TV set, and a Bluetooth receiver between my Beomaster and my MacBook. Works really well.

Jacques

cyco
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Bronze Member
cyco replied on Sat, Oct 10 2015 8:08 PM

Thank you for the expert advise gentlemen.

Danny

Andrew
Top 100 Contributor
Frinton, UK
Posts 917
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Fri, Oct 30 2015 9:12 AM

You could buy a cheap DAC on Amazon (about £10) and connect that to the Digital Output and then the Analogue outputs to your BM6500 using a Phono to Din connecter - will give you much better sound quality than the earphone jack but there maybe a slight delay so it could be that lips are out of sync with speaking - I use a Cambridge audio dac and that is excellent, cost £100 but well worth it and has multiple inputs so you can connect an airport express or apple TV and stream music as well.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS