Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 1600 - Faulty Cassette Player

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

HenningWalker
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
HenningWalker Posted: Sun, May 27 2012 9:15 PM

Hi,

I have recently been addressing a couple of problems with my Bang and Olufsen System. It was originally owned by my Great-Grandparents from the 70's to the 90's, and is therefore of sentimental value to me as well as being a very respectable sound system!

I have found that the tape deck has become less and less able to play tapes at a consistent speed. The mechanism all still works without a tape, although whenever I insert a tape to record, play, forward or rewind the mechanism struggles and the spools slow right down if they even manage to move at all. My opinion is that this may be down to a faulty drive-belt, or the fact that lubricant needs to be added somewhere, I don't really want to dimantle it and risk breaking it further if I don't know exactly what the problem is, but this is something I'd really like to have repaired and I would be most grateful to anyone who could tell me how to get the cassette player up and running properly again.

Thanks and Regards,

Henning

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, May 28 2012 3:04 AM

Hi there

As You mention: The problem is most likely down to faulty drive-belts. No wonder after almost 40 years...
You can probably buy new belts from member 'dillen' here on Beoworld. Send him a PM.
If you know how to use a screwdriver, it is not that difficult to change the belts.

Menahem Yachad
Top 75 Contributor
Jerusalem, Israel
Posts 1,249
Bronze Member

Henning

On the little plastic wheels with geared teeth (which fit inside the holes of the cassette tape), and actually turn the cassette tape, are circular rubber tyres, slightly larger than the plastic wheels' diameter.

These rubber tyres (which are NOT the motor drive belts) have dried out and hardened with age, and are no longer sticky enough to cause enough friction when contacting the capstan motor.

I have many spares here, but I can help you only if you remove those little plastic wheels and send them to me.

I can fit the exact compatible replacement.

Menahem

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS