Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BL19 creates a small hum in existing setup

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey Posted: Mon, Nov 30 2015 4:14 PM

I have a BV12-65/BL3s/BL11 sub setup. Worked flawlessly, but decided to move up to the BL19 sub, which I bought from B&O Lincoln.

Had to buy a powerline adapter from Sounds Heavenly to connect to the existing BL11 cable configuration, connected to the BS3.

I expected to simply swap over the cables from the BL11 to the BL19 (with the adapter). It's not worked well. Two issues:

1) You can hear an audible hum from the BL19

2) The BL19 displays the green led when you turn on the BV12-65, but then the green led goes off swiftly after (even though it's still on the BL3s), which makes me wonder if it's working correctly.

If I switch back to the BL11, the hum disappears. It only happens with the BL19.

Anyone have any ideas?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Nov 30 2015 7:39 PM
moxxey:

2) The BL19 displays the green led when you turn on the BV12-65, but then the green led goes off swiftly after (even though it's still on the BL3s), which makes me wonder if it's working correctly

This expected behaviour. You should see an equally brief red light when you go to standby (or switch speaker settings eg SPEAKER 1 on older BVs).

It's a pity as it is a nice glow ... and like you I am used to all those LEDs as a guide to system sleeping or living.

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Nov 30 2015 8:21 PM

elephant:
moxxey:

2) The BL19 displays the green led when you turn on the BV12-65, but then the green led goes off swiftly after (even though it's still on the BL3s), which makes me wonder if it's working correctly

This expected behaviour. You should see an equally brief red light when you go to standby (or switch speaker settings eg SPEAKER 1 on older BVs).

Thanks Elephant. The hum hasn't gone though. In fact, it's less of a hum and sounds more like a sightly rattling fan! The BL19's speaker diaphragm is constantly in action (slightly constant movement), indicating something is driving it to constantly vibrate.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Mon, Nov 30 2015 8:23 PM

Grounding or shielding issue..... or sabotage by Bath.

Graham

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Dec 1 2015 10:49 AM

vikinger:

Grounding or shielding issue..... or sabotage by Bath.

Yes, but that's where I'm perplexed. It uses the same cables as the BL11 used. If I switch the BL19 back out and put the BL11 back and there's no hum, no noise, nothing.

At the moment, I have the BL19 connected to the BL18 setup, in another room, wirelessly.

Not hugely impressed with the BL19 at the moment. Reminds me of the BL2, in a different case.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Dec 3 2015 6:41 PM
Any progress with the BL19? Are you still unimpressed with it alongside the BL18s. I'm wavering on that decision myself.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS