Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

MMC20 cartridge in non B&O record players

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

radex7
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
radex7 Posted: Tue, Dec 1 2015 7:32 PM

Hello!

I had this grand idea of using my MMC20 cartridges on something different than B&O. I figured since the manufacturer came out with proper attachment brackets to accommodate different mounting options, this should not be a hassle. Well, it is not always the case. Here is my scenario:

I am using Philips 212 and I like it a lot, my Beogram 3000 (non TD variety) is being reconstructed. Since I currently have MMC20EN, MMC20CL, and MMC10E, I would like to hear them on my Philips. I acquired necessary mounting bracket which came with a single spacer. After installing the cart in its sled, and mounting in on tonearm, this is the result:

As you can see the base of the cart practically touches the record. I was able to get enough clearance with my MMC10E so the cart doesn't drag on the record, but I am pretty confident this is not ideal.  Please note that the cart in these pictures is mounted without spacer.

When you look at MMC cart spec sheet you can see that B&O had different setup in mind:

Here you see that the base of the cart is suspended above the record, and nearly parallel to it.

At this point I see no other way of working this out but making my own angled spacer to compensate for this issue. Has anyone here done something similar? Ideas?

Thanks!

r

radex7
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Bronze Member
radex7 replied on Mon, Dec 7 2015 12:57 AM

Looks like some googling paid off! Here a helpful clip.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS