Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoGram 5000 Speaker Advice

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

choc611
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
choc611 Posted: Wed, Dec 9 2015 10:35 AM

Hi!

This is my first post on here and i'm looking forward to hearing back form real enthusiasts who own and love B&O products as opposed to just posting random things online that don't help. 

I have recently purchased a BeoGram 5000 turntable which needs some work but i need a set of speakers that will work with it. Obviously the 5000 comes with a 5 Pin Din cable and i have brought some adapters that have Phono and Aux capabilities respectively but would like a pair of B&O speakers that work with this system and plug directly in. Does anyone have advice of what speakers i should be looking for and perhaps a good place to source them?

The system is untested yet but i got a great deal on it. They said when i brought it, it might need a new cartridge as it's not running along the tracks of the record but i think it might just be a balancing issue and i need to adjust the tone arm so it sits on the record properly. If not, it's going to be an expensive refit of a new MMC! 

The speakers are my main priority for now though as i want to get it up and running ASAP playing through the best speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member

I found B&O this year in a similar fashion as you, bought a table, fixed it, and then wanted to connect directly to speakers.

Are you looking to connect straight to speakers from your turntable or through a receiver or amp then to speakers?

The BG 5000 doesn't have a phono preamp built in so you will need one of those in between your table and the speakers (which will need to be powered speakers if you are looking to avoid using a receiver). Many B&O powered speakers don't have volume control built in so you will need a phono preamp that has its own volume control.

The path I took started with a BG1800 then a simple Rolls phono preamp then connected to Audioengine A2s. That worked fine for what it was since the audioengine speakers had a volume control. Then I bought the Beoplay S8 and then bought a phono preamp with volume control since the Beoplay S8 doesn't have a way to control volume. That work so-so and I didn't like it.

Then I bought a Beomaster 5000, connected my table up now not needing a separate phono preamp and used to preamp out for my powered speakers the S8s. Now I have a remote and places to hook up other gear. Then switched out the S8s for some old time BEOVOX 5700 passive speakers and love it.

All this to say, if B&O made powered speakers with a built in RIAA phono preamp and volume control then you wouldn't need to start collecting much new gear. But you adventures in product procurement are just beginning.

choc611
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Bronze Member
choc611 replied on Wed, Dec 9 2015 12:52 PM

Thanks for the response, Pete. I was hoping to connect directly to a set of speakers but if this isn't possible, i will go down the route you've suggested. What i failed to mention was this is a present for my Mum for xmas and i wanted to get things up and running so she can use it straight away. I have a 5 Pin to AUX cable and a Bose Soundlink with AUX input so if, for now, i were to plug those two together, would that work for the time being and produce sound at least so she can use it?

If not, i fear i have a busy few weeks upcoming to get it all sorted before the 25th!

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member

It won't work directly with the bose. You will still need a phono preamp since there is an equalization curve that the phono preamp will correct before it will be amplified. It will make sound but not much sound and definitely not sound good.

Sounds like a sweet gift. My mom is getting chocolate.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS