Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

ATC LOUDSPEAKERS FOR BEOLAB 5000 (1967)

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

superdario
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
superdario Posted: Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:59 PM

I'm thinking to buy some Monitor Speakers for my Classic Audio Beolab 5000 Amp. If i remember right Peter use his Beolab 5000 with the legendary BBC LS 3/5a (Rogers, Splendor???) and Soundproof with a pair Dynaudio Focus 110. Can somebody recommend some other Non B&O Loudspeakers, for example the british ATC SCM Loudspeakers, in using with the Beolab 5000?

Thanks a lot.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:47 AM

Hi,

You don't want to use modern, bright speakers with the Beolab. You could always tame treble a bit either on the amp side, or on the speaker's side.

But you really need a neutral loudspeaker I think. Listen before buying, as always!

Jacques

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 8:29 AM

I agree - I use Richard Allan LS3/5As and AB1 sub-woofers. The characteristic of these speakers is that they have a wonderful mid-range and the AB1s add bass to what many would regard as a normal speaker level! The top end is definitely reduced, but I cannot hear than anymore anyway! The Beolab 5000 is likely to be a bit bass heavy with big new speakers as the damping factor is very low. It is also a very lively sounding amplifier so, as chartz suggests, I would avoid very bright speakers. 

I am using it with my Beogram 3000 and a Beogram CDX and it produces a lovely sound.

Peter

superdario
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Thanks for your suggestions Chartz and Peter, ATC monitor speakers are famous for the self produced Midrange/Bass units with huge magnets. In most Speakers they use Vifa Treble units, that's what i've read. But they need a lot of Power to operate. The entry speakers are rated at 50 - 300 Watt (8 Ohm). I think the specifications are in RMS. The Beolab 5000 is rated at 60W (4 Ohm) in DIN. Will be the power enough to drive ATC Speakers? I know that watt in DIN are more powerful that watt in RMS, but how much? What would be the specification of the Beolab 5000 in 8 Ohm RMS?

Thank you.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Jul 18 2012 9:26 PM

In theory half that, but you can count on 40 watts or thereabouts. I tried my Beolab with inefficient (87dB) 8 ohms Arcam speakers and it is more than enough in a 7X4 metre room.

Jacques

superdario
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member

Bonsoir Jacques, I've asked Frede and he told me that the specifications are:

2x 60 Watt DIN 4 Ohm

2x 40 Watt DIN 8 Ohm

2x 20 Watt DIN 16 Ohm

You're right with your suggestion. But i don't know how much are DIN Watt in RMS Watt exactly.

Anyway, what speakers do you use currently?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS