Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Martin? Beosystem 5000 setup problems

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Mightyboots33
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
Mightyboots33 Posted: Thu, Jul 7 2016 7:30 PM

Hello, I'm new to the Beoworld forum and have a variety of questions.  I've been reading lots of posts and some questions have been answered but I'm still in need of help.  I started a new thread because some other posts were quite old and I hope that this will be a fresh discussion and any new information is appreciated.  Thanks to all up to this point.

I recently acquired a 1980's (1985?) Beosystem 5000. Beocord 5000 (type 4923), Beogram CD 50, and the master Control Center remote.  Everything was quite dirty and some abuse, but cleaned up well.  

The tape player does not work and of course I looked inside and found broken belts and goo everywhere.  I really worked hard at cleaning the goo and with my own measurements bought some belts at a local shop.  It seemed to come to life, but the tape heads engaged and stopped a few times and sure enough, I saw the common smoke from the R20 resister near the power supply. I unsoldered the now burnt resister and removed it, and determined through reading posts that the belts tension is off and this is a common issue.

I put Martin's name in the subject because I am unsure how to contact him at this moment.  He seems to be very knowledgeable.  I would like to order new correct belts, with a proper belt diagram and get advice in fixing the 10 ohm resister in the back.  Is there a better fix?  Or should I just replace with the same?  I appreciate your help Martin if you are reading this.

The CD player is not working either.  The drawer goes open and closed but CDs are not being read.  I did read about cleaning the motor.  I removed and disassembled and put fresh oil, although it did not seem too dirty.  Everything seemed to go back together ok, but the same problem exists.  I don't think the laser is doing anything as well as the motorized laser assembly moving.  With some manual encouragement it will move, but after activating the button, the assembly stays in that position and the player still does not read.

The amplifier and control center seem fine and it does communicate with the beocord fine.  I do not have another DIN 7 cable to test the CD 50 data link at this time.

I would love to get everything up and running and hope no further damage has been done.  I will put the project on hold and look forward to any advice and conversations.  Thanks in advance, Brian

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Jul 8 2016 9:45 AM

Martin goes under the name of Dillen. So search for him and you will be able to send him a message. You definitely need the correct belts for the Beocord which Martin can supply. Did you try and clean the laser?

Mightyboots33
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member

Thanks BenSa.  Yes I did clean the laser.  I am quite a tinkernaught, and sometimes too overzelous with cleaning and dissassembling things.  It just doesn't behave like it should.  It has the number 1 on the display and if the CD spins it doesn't spin very fast only to reject and with really no movement from the assembly.  Just not sure what to do.  

Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Fri, Jul 8 2016 12:50 PM
The CD50 often suffers from an issue with the drawer closing mechanism... Whereby the cd is not lifted up into the laser assembly quite enough.

Insert a CD with the reading side facing upwards and close the drawer, when the drawer closes turn the gears that deal with the loading mechanism by hand slightly to lift the CD up to its proper position. If this then works you'll need to disassemble the loading mechanism and clean the old grease off and replace the belt. Dillen can supply the belt IIRC and instruction on how to fit it can be found in the forum at... http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/2091.aspx

Make sure to follow all the instructions carefully as its got to be put back exactly as it was or it won't work.
BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Jul 8 2016 12:54 PM

Like Lee says the disc must be loaded upside down! 

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Fri, Jul 8 2016 1:10 PM

It sounds like your CD50 has the usual spindle motor problem and this is not an easy fix. Your best bet would be to send it to someone who has experience of this repair.

As to the cassette deck, one of Martin's belt kits is the best option and replace the resistor. As a matter of course, I generally put a higher power resistor in as a precaution (either a 1W or 2W if I remember correctly - haven't done one for a while!).

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Jul 8 2016 5:47 PM

The resistor in question is a safety component and must NOT be "upgraded" in any way!
The resistor is a fusible type, the new one must be exactly the same! It's not just any old resistor.
It's supposed to burn through at a certain current flow in a safe way (smoke but NO fire) - other resistors may burst
into flames or (in the case of a higher wattage spec'd type) keep heating up until something else nearby (or the motor or whatever
is overloading the supply) burns.

I have correct belts for both the tapedeck and the drawer motor and I can include mounting instructions (photos and english text).
I have new idler wheel and reeltable rubber parts and also a correct resistor.
Email me.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS