Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoVox 5700 resto

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

70Dart
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
70Dart Posted: Sun, Aug 7 2016 4:36 PM

HI All, posting from Australia.  I just joined this forum because I just discovered it !  I have some BeoVox 5700 that I was lucky enough to get a few years ago and which I am putting together as they are incomplete.  So I need a little advice from more experienced members, as I am really just a beginner in the speaker world

Unfortunately the active drivers and crossovers are missing (probably how I got them for nothing).  The only original parts I got are the cabinets and grilles and the 10" passive radiators (all in really unbelievable good condition).  Of course I would like to find the original drivers but I admit that this would very difficult and could take years of searching.  I think the tweeters and mids are also used in Celestion Ditton 66, is this correct?

I have a nice pair of 10" (25cm) graphite cone bass drivers from Infinity Kappa speakers which I was going to substitute.  However I was going to ask if anyone here on this forum has a similar situation with Beovox 5700 without original drivers and did they find some that they found were a reasonable substitute?

I think the original woofers were Dutch made Philips but I feel these Kappa ones should be tighter than the originals

The cabinet volume of the Kappas which housed these woofers was larger than the volume of the Beovox so I might already have a mismatch.

I have some crossovers but not the originals, I think they are from Celestion 3 ways.  Beyond that I know very little about them

Any thoughts on my situation would be appreciated.   Or links to previous posts on the subject as I have done a search but not a great deal of success.

Thanks

70Dart
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
70Dart replied on Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:18 PM

73 people have read this post but no one has any idea? Are you all clueless or just too lazy to say anything? Or maybe too conceited, since I am not using a puritan using original drivers.  What  waste of time this was.  Now you really have an excuse not to reply !!

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Sep 19 2016 1:45 PM

The best (and maybe only) way to re-populate your cabinets would be to find a pair of working speakers of the same type in battered cabinets and
then make one good pair out of two bad.

What type are your speakers? (4-digit number found on the serial number labels).

Martin

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Sep 19 2016 2:25 PM
70Dart:

73 people have read this post but no one has any idea? Are you all clueless or just too lazy to say anything? Or maybe too conceited, since I am not using a puritan using original drivers. What waste of time this was. Now you really have an excuse not to reply !!

In my case clueless. And perhaps the other 72 people are also not experts on restoring B&O speakers. Most people won't be. I guess I could have said "just read your post but I can't help you at all" but what would that have achieved? Or perhaps I'm lazy too.
Lee
Top 150 Contributor
Newcastle upon Tyne UK
Posts 734
Bronze Member
Lee replied on Mon, Sep 19 2016 3:59 PM
You don't get help by being rude to members.

Although I must say the amount of threads with no replies seems to be growing. I myself have posted several questions of late and not had any feedback Sad

Seems like a lot of the experts sadly but understandably don't spend as much time on here anymore.

Saint Beogrowler
Top 150 Contributor
Saint Paul
Posts 780
Bronze Member
Speaker cabinets like these will be very difficult to find even marginal alternate drivers options. Those Celestion drivers are very sought after by custom and DIY speaker builders due to their specs.

As an owner of a pair of 5700, I hope you are able to find a pair of donor speakers or dittons, these are pleasant daily players. Also, be nice.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS