Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Differing Mains Plugs on Beomaster 5000

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

SurreyNick
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
SurreyNick Posted: Sat, Jun 2 2018 12:29 PM

I told my son he could have the Beogram CD50 I’m repairing to play his CD collection so he bought himself a Beomaster 5000 amp/tuner to pair with it, and to my surprise it came with a different style mains plug.  All four of my Beosystem 5000 units (including my Beomaster 5000) have the 3-pin plug shown.  His Beomaster 5000 came with the 2-pin plug shown.

I had assumed the 3-pin plugs on my units were standard, but I'm now wondering if they aren't and that they are an aftermarket swap done by the original owner.  It's convenient because the four hi-fi units all plug into a QED In-Line Distribution Unit (pictured) so I only have one wall plug.  I have since read somewhere that this isn't supposed to be a good idea with non-earthed units, but I don't know if there is any veracity to this argument.  I don't think these QED Distribution Units are still being sold though.

For my son to use the units I'm going to have to change one or both of the plugs pictured and I'd welcome any suggestion on the best way to go.  I am assuming a 3 amp or 5 amp fuse will be order of the day. 

Thanks

Nick

SurreyNick
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member

A QED In-Line Distribution Unit as used on my Beosystem 5000

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sat, Jun 2 2018 2:22 PM

The two-pin is an euro plug. Standard in many countries - also in Denmark, and compatible with many more (Germany etc.).

Martin

NickPope
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
NickPope replied on Sun, Jun 3 2018 12:55 PM

Years before the 5000 I had a Beolab 1700 amplifier and the separate matching Beomaster 1700 tuner was supplied with a 2 pin Euro plug which connected to a socket in the rear of the amp. This was possibly so the tuner did not require a separate transformer for the higher UK voltage.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Jun 3 2018 1:44 PM

The Beomaster 5000 tuner has the same arrangement with the Beolab 5000 amplifier. A lot of my B&O has two pin plugs and I have a block connector for this - makes dealing with wires when in a B&O cabinet much easier!

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS