Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Have a few people left since the forum move?

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 0 Followers

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey Posted: Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:26 PM

There are quite a few regulars who appear to have either left or have barely posted since the move to the new forum.

It's not that much different! People really hate change. Every time we refresh one of our various websites, I guarantee you 70% are against the new site and only 30% are in favour. Many even say "why change? go back to the old design!" even though the old design was cramped and looked like it was designed in 1999.

A year after the refresh, hits are up, the old discussions have moved on and the regulars returned. Happens every time.

I wonder why people are so opposed to change. So much so, they disappear for a while, as seems to have happened on here.

joeyboygolf
Top 25 Contributor
Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK
Posts 4,188
Bronze Member

I admit to still having to force myself to read the forum since  the changeover.

It is growing on me......... slowly!

Regards Graham

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:50 PM

moxxey:

There are quite a few regulars who appear to have either left or have barely posted since the move to the new forum.

It's not that much different! People really hate change.

You're totally right there - change the looks a little, people get an allergic reaction and start to complain about every little thing, even those that actually didn't change at all. Before this, the forum was practically unchanged for almost five years, which is a bloody eternity in internet terms.

There were a few teething problems, some are still being worked on - we just need to realize that it's mostly Keith that does it, and he has a day job and a life as well.

I personally don't like the new looks but simply being able to post offsets all the problems to me. Those who didn't post that much in the now archived forum didn't see much of that problem, and probably don't realize that quite a few regulars effectively left before the change.

I'm also confident that all these folks come back - what better place is there after all?

--mika

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:55 PM

There are a couple of navigation things that make it seem more long winded to do what I used to do but it's great to be able to post and have it go first time without the complete frustration of posting, without having copied it first, only to see it disappear into the ether never to return!  Many of us got into the habit of copying posts before pressing "post" and accepting it may take 3 or 4 attempts to paste and re-post before it worked - this has now gone and everything seems to work first time again ............. wonderful.

Ban boring signatures!

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Puncher:

There are a couple of navigation things that make it seem more long winded to do what I used to do but it's great to be able to post and have it go first time without the complete frustration of posting, without having copied it first, only to see it disappear into the ether never to return!  Many of us got into the habit of copying posts before pressing "post" and accepting it may take 3 or 4 attempts to paste and re-post before it worked - this has now gone and everything seems to work first time again ............. wonderful.

I have been using the forum as a tester also, and slowly I get used to the new, and really its not that much different, it just take some time getting used to it, and I suppose that younger members is faster in that, and we older ones takes a little more time.

I dont think we lost members, but it will take some time before all is back, many members doesn't use the forum frequently, but slowly they will be back again. Just yesterday I got mail from a member who didn't know nothing about a new forum.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 11:57 PM

tournedos:

I'm also confident that all these folks come back - what better place is there after all?

A lot of the American posters seem to have disappeared or stopped posting? That's something I noticed. Trip and others. Far less prominent lately.

DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
Posts 699
Founder

It is understandable that the change of the forum was needed for a handful (but most experienced and helpful) posters. Other than that there seemed to be no need in drastic layout changes. That was a DISASTER in my opinion and it should be noted. Moxxey is wrong on this i am afraid. It is not the change. It is the completely un-B&O ish, if i may say, selection of colours and other small little things here.  I loved the change from old-old to our previous forum. This is a cheap and fast work and bad imitation of the old forum. I will be here yes. I will post and read because i love the forum. But i know something when i don't like it so i can understand others who are not even participating. It is not a habit Moxxey. It is called pleasure-to-the-eye.... or torture. Once again....Please Keith.... change those stupid green and yellow buttons of suggest as the right answer, to something more appropriate. It will help i believe.

Dimitris-

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:13 AM

DrDimitris:

It is understandable that the change of the forum was needed for a handful (but most experienced and helpful) posters. Other than that there seemed to be no need in drastic layout changes. That was a DISASTER in my opinion and it should be noted. Moxxey is wrong on this i am afraid. It is not the change. It is the completely un-B&O ish, if i may say, selection of colours and other small little things here.

That is the change? You can't have a change and then complain about the style, colours and other things. You're complaining about the change, which is exactly what I was referring to :)

DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
Posts 699
Founder

moxxey:

DrDimitris:

It is understandable that the change of the forum was needed for a handful (but most experienced and helpful) posters. Other than that there seemed to be no need in drastic layout changes. That was a DISASTER in my opinion and it should be noted. Moxxey is wrong on this i am afraid. It is not the change. It is the completely un-B&O ish, if i may say, selection of colours and other small little things here.

That is the change? You can't have a change and then complain about the style, colours and other things. You're complaining about the change, which is exactly what I was referring to :)

Although maybe we misunderstand each other (Smile), what i say is a server change does not mean that a layout change is mandatory(i believe). Maybe it is succesful for some that can now post but for the majority of others that did not have any problem posting, it is simply awful to their eyes. 

Dimitris-

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

I seem to recall that my posting rate had fallen off, partly because of the hanging of posts or post failures in the old forum.

Then, when I came to post in the new forum there was the issue of finding your way around (not quite the same) needing to re-set avatars etc etc.

That will have put-off many, but they will return.

The forum works well overall. Agree that some colours need changing to give a better colour-coordinated feel to the site. I don't like the answer choosing options: bit like one of those Yahoo type sites where the original questioner picks the best answer (and it is invariably wrong.) We have more of a dialogue with posts on this site!

Graham

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

DrDimitris:
Although maybe we misunderstand each other (Smile), what i say is a server change does not mean that a layout change is mandatory(i believe). Maybe it is succesful for some that can now post but for the majority of others that did not have any problem posting, it is simply awful to their eyes. 

It wasn't only a change of a server, the software that runs the forum was upgraded as well. As I understand it, the old "theme" (which, despite the name, means a lot more than just the layout in this case) wasn't supported in the new version and couldn't be used any more.

(the rest of this post is in general, not directed to you, Dimitris)

I hope I'm not seen as a dissident when I admit that I have written a user style sheet for Firefox that gets rid of the bubbles, the coloured buttons and adjusts the fonts in many places Big Smile

Other than that, most of the old stuff is in the old places often even behind the same URLs, perhaps an additional click or two away. The thing that changed the most is the forum landing page. If you don't like it, create some bookmarks for the functions you use! Every browser has them.

--mika

DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
Posts 699
Founder

Ehhhh hmmmm. A forum that you have to alter in Firefox so as to like it.... That is new...Confused

Dimitris-

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

DrDimitris:

Ehhhh hmmmm. A forum that you have to alter in Firefox so as to like it.... That is new...Confused

Not at all: http://userstyles.org/categories Angel

--mika

DrDimitris
Top 150 Contributor
Greece
Posts 699
Founder

tournedos:

DrDimitris:

Not at all: http://userstyles.org/categories Angel

Sorry Mika. Not my style Wink. I tend to visit this forum for fun and enlightenment on B&O stuff. Not to waste my time by tweaking colours on website themes. I am sure that million persons are tweaking the colours on the forums they visit (NOT). Come on. Let's be more serious on this.

Dimitris-

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

As someone who always deals in facts, let me state a fact related to this subject.

In a typical week on the old forum between 250 to 300 members would visit the site.

Since the launch of the new forum 8 days ago up to now 1008 original members have visited the forum.

I will allow you to draw your own conclusions from these two facts.

Regards Keith....

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 10:57 AM

Keith Saunders:

I will allow you to draw your own conclusions from these two facts.

I'm not talking visits Keith, I'm talking posts. A lot of users have registered/re-registered etc, but post numbers, or those from key people, seem to have dropped off.

Anyway, little point arguing this between each other. Won't bring them back (if they have stopped posting).

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:10 AM

Right now I do not believe that the # of posts relates to the new design. As someone stated before I had the same impression that the # of posts was declining during the last couple of month.

There might be a plurality of reasons for that. The sun is coming back after a long and cold winter, the haircut in Greece might consume some of your time ( kidding ), economy is going up and people might need to work a little bit more, well I do not know.

But what I know is that I like the new forum and its design

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

kimchr
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 170
Bronze Member
kimchr replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:17 AM

I am really sad to see that old posts have not been migrated. It's a shame since now we have to search both the old and the new forum. Personally I would never have made this transition without migrating data. 

Also the move to new urls is a catastrophe in terms of organic search traffic from Google. People searching Google for Beo related info may still see a searchresult from Beoworld, but the link now points to a non-existing page. Also google will be very confused about all the pages disappearing and new pages emerging.

I guess for some Beoworlders this may feel like starting all over again.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 11:54 AM

Lars:
here might be a plurality of reasons for that. The sun is coming back after a long and cold winter, the haircut in Greece might consume some of your time ( kidding ), economy is going up and people might need to work a little bit more, well I do not know.

Or the lack of new product announcements ?

Just announce something .... and we will all start discussing it .... and its PRICE !!!

( I would have started a thread about being a little disappointed about how predictable today's Apple announcement was ... but I would probably get shouted down ... but I might have generated a few extra posts ... time to check if the old smiley big grin works [] )

elephant:
 time to check if the old smiley big grin works []

it did not :-(

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 12:14 PM

elephant:

( I would have started a thread about being a little disappointed about how predictable today's Apple announcement was ... but I would probably get shouted down )

I pre-ordered a new Apple TV and iPad 3, if that helps? :)

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Me too Moxxey. 1080P and no wires, or old fashioned plastic disks.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Rick
Not Ranked
Nevada USA
Posts 35
Gold Member
Rick replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:40 PM

Well being very new to this forum I have nothing to compare it to but, I like the layout compared to others I have used.  I can always copy paste and old post if I want to bring it up again.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Mar 8 2012 4:44 PM

Chris Townsend:

Me too Moxxey. 1080P and no wires, or old fashioned plastic disks.

I haven't watched a DVD since I've started using the Apple TV seriously (had it about 6 months, only used it for a month). Now it will do 1080p, even better.

And I've taken my own topic completely off-topic.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS