Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

B&O would listen to potential buyer of company

rated by 0 users
This post has 32 Replies | 1 Follower

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo Posted: Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:46 AM

an article this morning https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-bang-olufsen-m-a/bang-olufsen-would-listen-if-approached-by-buyer-chairman-idUKKCN1VD0MB

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 12:03 PM

Could we all club together and buy the company? Whistle

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 12:47 PM

9 LEE:

Could we all club together and buy the company? Whistle

Probably

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 1:58 PM

predictable, and predicted here before.

Not all buyers are created equal - Apple buying them would be very different from some opportunistic investor with limited track record in the space.

Not clear why any of the big tech companies would actually even buy B&O? What would they be getting exactly that they need?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 5:02 PM
This article doesn’t really tell us anything new. As a public company B&O is obliged to listen to offers/enquiries if they appear genuine. That’s all part of being a listed company. The directors have to act in the interests of shareholders.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 5:06 PM

Sandyb:

Not clear why any of the big tech companies would actually even buy B&O? What would they be getting exactly that they need?

Possibly a few trademarked inventions/ideas, but are there many of these left?

I've been involved with a few big company buyouts in the past and they nearly always end in tears. The company buying tends to want a small part of the company and often splits it up or sells off various parts.

It's very rare for a company to buy another company 100% and simply keep it 'as is'.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 6:01 PM

moxxey:

Sandyb:

I've been involved with a few big company buyouts in the past and they nearly always end in tears. The company buying tends to want a small part of the company and often splits it up or sells off various parts.

It's very rare for a company to buy another company 100% and simply keep it 'as is'.

About the only time I can recall that in audio was with McIntosh, which thankfully is still acting like McIntosh. B&O has forgotten how to be B&O, and I doubt any company buying them, especially a Chinese holding company, knows how to be B&O either sadly.

Just an off the cuff observation, I recently purchased a new car that has a B&O branded/Harman audio system in it. It sounds identical to all the other three Harman car systems in cars I drove, from Harman branded, to Revel branded. Harman has homogenized all of the brands to sound the same, the only thing different is the dashboard brand name logo.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 7:05 PM

moxxey:

Sandyb:

Hasn't that already happened in part!

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 7:32 PM

B&O would make a good 'Halo Brand' for someone like LG.

What's left of the brand name, plus some very good technical people. That's all B&O has to offer from a buyers perspective, unless you're looking to build a huge art- hotel in the middle of nowhere, complete with sheep...

Lee

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:31 PM
One cannot go without sheep Stick out tongue

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:31 PM

Correctamundo  ,I totally agree with you here ,shame B&O been rudderless for a while and Bang olufsen are as much we love their (some) products are stubborn !

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 8:47 PM

Duels:
This article doesn’t really tell us anything new. As a public company B&O is obliged to listen to offers/enquiries if they appear genuine. That’s all part of being a listed company. The directors have to act in the interests of shareholders.

I read 2 quotes that caused the PR person to deny the company was put up for sale. That IS new and probably not good form. 

ed7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 9:30 PM

Interesting reading in another article!Surprise

Sparkle Roll

Investors may now be asking themselves why B&O’s board was so determined to fend off a 2016 takeover attempt. Back then, Sparkle Roll -- a company controlled by Chinese billionaire Qi Jianhong -- indicated it was interested in buying B&O as it built up a major stake. But Andersen rebuffed its overtures, referring to the uncertainty surrounding a potential bid. That was three years ago, when a B&O share cost considerably more than now.

Andersen has more time to focus on B&O these days, after being ousted from the head of the board of Danske Bank late last year in connection with a $230 billion money laundering scandal. His departure was forced through by A.P. Moller, the biggest shareholder in Danske. Andersen has also agreed to step down as chairman of food-ingredient maker Chr. Hansen.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Fri, Aug 23 2019 10:20 PM

ed7:
Investors may now be asking themselves why B&O’s board was so determined to fend off a 2016 takeover attempt. Back then, Sparkle Roll -- a company controlled by Chinese billionaire Qi Jianhong -- indicated it was interested in buying B&O as it built up a major stake. But Andersen rebuffed its overtures, referring to the uncertainty surrounding a potential bid. That was three years ago, when a B&O share cost considerably more than now.

I seem to remember it was the other way around, I.e. Sparkle couldn't or wouldn't provide the credentials and lost interest in the process, The worst part is actually the longer this goes on the more the brand value gets diluted.

IMHO the only remaining value is in the Play segment, unfortunately extremely volatile and the Beolab range where one of the two most expensive speakers have gained a somewhat dubious reliability reputation. In the lower end of the speaker range, the driver is based on a 30 year old iconic design, and as much as love and admire that speaker, it needs some siblings to play with!

It's going to be a tough sell, especially with the overhead needed for the "own store" concept to operate,- perhaps the true achilles heel!

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 12:43 PM
9 LEE:

B&O would make a good 'Halo Brand' for someone like LG.

What's left of the brand name, plus some very good technical people. That's all B&O has to offer from a buyers perspective, unless you're looking to build a huge art- hotel in the middle of nowhere, complete with sheep...

Lee

A luxury spa is not a bad idea Smile

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 12:47 PM
Jeff:

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus.

I started to recover from the virus, too, a couple of years ago. That said, I'm keenly watching what will be revealed at IFA.

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

thorne
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 315
Bronze Member
thorne replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 1:24 PM

Apple should buy it and sell B&O products as a separate brand in Apple stores

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 4:45 PM

KMA:
Jeff:

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus.

I started to recover from the virus, too, a couple of years ago. That said, I'm keenly watching what will be revealed at IFA.

I keep hoping that they will get their act together again, but keep getting disappointed. Hoping for something worthy and interesting at IFA as well, time will tell.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 5:06 PM

thorne:

Apple should buy it and sell B&O products as a separate brand in Apple stores

Why should Apple buy company like B&O with low quality and over priced products?

For example look at the ratings of the B&O App at the Apple App Store. When a company in the high price segment is not able to develop high quality products, it is not surpricing that the development of sales / revenue as well as the share price looks like the one of B&O in the last months.

The time for B&O is over …

Schuifschoen
Not Ranked
Rotterdam
Posts 55
Bronze Member

The price for a B&O oled television is much too high! 

They don't follow the marketprices. 

They should better stop with their LG oled television with their own sound. 

Mikipidia
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,169
Bronze Member
Mikipidia replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 9:44 PM
The harmony isn’t. The lg panels will follow market prices and the speaker bit is a b&o speaker and movement and avr basically. So it would be foolish to stop now

New: Beovision Harmony, Beolab 50's, Beolab 28's, Beolab 18's, Beolab 17's, Beosound Stage & LG, Beosound 2, Beoplay M3, Beoplay A1, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay H4 gen 2, Beoplay E8 3.0

Mikipedia on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Mikipedia

Mikipedi4 on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mikipedi4

Mikipedia on Intagram: https://www.instagram.com/mikipedi4/

Old: Beosound 9000 mk3, Beolab 3's, Beovision Eclipse, Beolab 1's, Beolab 2, Beovision 10-46, Overture 2300, beolab 8000's, Beolab 4000's, Beovision avant 32" etc. etc.

Pushkin
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Bronze Member
Pushkin replied on Sat, Aug 24 2019 11:46 PM
And another article (link below) - the reader comments on the article are interesting - not much love for the brand anymore! https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7388863/Luxury-TV-speaker-maker-Bang-Olufsen-looking-buyers-string-profit-warnings.html#comments
Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

Looks there is doubts whether the current management can turn the company around. My 2 cents is that B&O needs to focus on their retail strategy and streamline their product line. At least in the US it is almost impossible to find a store. Also, they should have fewer products with the Beolab 18 as their top end product. The Beoplay and OEM business lines are profitable or close to IMHO. 

As for a buyer, most likely suited is a PÉ company that will focus on Beoplay and more emphasis on mass market availability.  B&W and others have all been acquired as well...

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

HH1971
Not Ranked
Posts 58
Bronze Member
HH1971 replied on Sun, Aug 25 2019 10:02 AM

Jaffrey2230:
most likely suited is a PÉ company

The PE (Privat Equity) solution is probably the only solution, that could manage a hard turn around. By getting ride of all the low performer, overstrained and dreamer of the good old times at the B&O headquarter in Struer.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Aug 25 2019 11:03 AM

Private Equity will not be interested in B&O.

PE funds generally like companies which they can leverage up with debt, and with a clear exit strategy to relist the equity 5 years down the road.

Those get companies often have simple operational inefficiencies, not large R&D / investment requirements, and have financial metrics that can support high debt loads for 5 years.  B&O does not fit the bill.

Trust me, PE will not be interested, not even from an undervalued IP point of view.

B&O are stuck with a trade buyer (Apple, Google, another audio company), or an opportunistic investor ( a la Sparkleroll) who dont necessarily bring anything to the table. Or continuing to be independent.

To me a trade buyer would be best, Apple ideally, or maybe even Sonos, though their market cap is very similar to B&O, so that seems unlikely. Anyone but Google or Amazon.

BEOVOX141
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark, West
Posts 711
Bronze Member
BEOVOX141 replied on Sun, Aug 25 2019 11:12 AM

Sandyb:
To me a trade buyer would be best, Apple ideally, or maybe even Sonos, though their market cap is very similar to B&O, so that seems unlikely. Anyone but Google or Amazon.

There is no way Apple would be interested!

Regardless of what you think of Apple their hardware is in a completely different league than B&O, and they can leverage the power of true mass production! 

And they own a good deal of the ecosystem!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Aug 25 2019 2:54 PM

Agreed, I said Apple would be best, not likely at all though.

BeoFrederic
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 276
Gold Member

Apple’s been public about their acquisition strategy for quite some time.  They acquire small-to-medium firms with talented people who can contribute to Apple’s product goals; and/or have intellectual property that can contribute to Apple’s product goals.  See: Intel’s modem division.  Beats was acquired for the streaming and curation technologies, and for Jimmy Iovine.

They don’t acquire things they can make or develop by themselves (pretty much any product).  And they won’t purchase because of brand equity.  They seem to be doing well enough on that count by themselves.  🙂

The exercise is to see how well a B&O acquisition would fit with those priorities.

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Hungedu replied on Sun, Aug 25 2019 9:38 PM

One word... Apple.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Aug 26 2019 12:23 AM

Agreed, which is why its very unlikely at best.

With Ive now operating from the outside, they may feel B&O offers them some design chops perhaps.

Anyway, I give this little further thought, as it's altogether a 0-5% chance max.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 26 2019 3:20 PM

HH1971:

Jaffrey2230:

The PE (Privat Equity) solution is probably the only solution, that could manage a hard turn around. By getting ride of all the low performer, overstrained and dreamer of the good old times at the B&O headquarter in Struer.

Is there anything realistically to get rid of? You know B&O already cleared out it's vision department and is selling off its HQ!

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Aug 26 2019 4:18 PM

moxxey:

HH1971:

Jaffrey2230:

Is there anything realistically to get rid of? You know B&O already cleared out it's vision department and is selling off its HQ!

You're correct of course - all they're really left with is a group of people, some who could walk into a new job anywhere tomorrow, (along with others that have helped navigate the ship to where it is today) and a name that used to mean something (to some)!

Ban boring signatures!

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Mon, Aug 26 2019 6:12 PM

Puncher:

You're correct of course - all they're really left with is a group of people, some who could walk into a new job anywhere tomorrow, (along with others that have helped navigate the ship to where it is today) and a name that used to mean something (to some)!

And the 'good old times' are arguably consumer-driven not always manufacturer-driven. It needs enough people to want to buy the products. Sure you can dictate this through clever marketing and price, but ultimately dealers need people to walk through those doors. You don't necessary develop the old days from a drawing board - the Eclipse is well-designed. Just friggin expensive. And designed for people who are happy to spend £10K on a 55" TV. There aren't many of those left.

Page 1 of 1 (33 items) | RSS