Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 8000 Twitter

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Jdenz
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Jdenz Posted: Sun, Nov 3 2019 4:45 PM

Hi Eveyone,

I am new here and hoping to find some help. I have a Beolab 8000 that needs a twitter replaced, I have bought the part from the guys at Ava unfortunately I am I. Mauritius and can’t find anyone to do the instal. I was told when replacing the Twitter some components have to be changed on the main board, I have the components and I can solder but I have no idea what to change and when I look at the schematic it doesn’t make any sense to me. Has someone done this before? So you have any pics of the components that need to be changed and where they go? I have no option but to attempt it myself. 

I appreciate all the help I can get

deni 

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member

I have replaced the tweeter of Beolab 8000 before. There is really no soldering required. All you need to do is to slide off the fabric cover, unscrew the two screws holding the old tweeter, and remove the cables going to the tweeter (just two cables with a female spade termination). There is no soldering of any kind required and the mainboard does not need to be adjusted. 

Jdenz
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Jdenz replied on Sun, Nov 3 2019 5:49 PM

Hi,

thank you for the prompt reply. That’s interesting, the guys from Ava we’re adamant that it wasn’t just a straight plug in deal but if you say you did yours then I’ll go with that thank you 

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member

Jdenz:

Hi,

thank you for the prompt reply. That’s interesting, the guys from Ava we’re adamant that it wasn’t just a straight plug in deal but if you say you did yours then I’ll go with that thank you 

I don't know what Ava is, but I would always recommend you to ask a B&O dealer first. Did you at least get the right replacement part?

Jdenz
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Jdenz replied on Sun, Nov 3 2019 7:52 PM

Hi 

they are Ava services B&O out of the UK. I did get the right part. Below is the email I got from them.

Replacement of the tweeter however will require multiple component changes after the tweeter has been replaced. These are surface mounted chip components.(see below)

Replacement requires good soldering skills and should carried out by a qualifier engineer!

Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member

Jdenz:

Hi 

they are Ava services B&O out of the UK. I did get the right part. Below is the email I got from them.

Replacement of the tweeter however will require multiple component changes after the tweeter has been replaced. These are surface mounted chip components.(see below)

Replacement requires good soldering skills and should carried out by a qualifier engineer!

What components on the PCB need to be changed is really a mystery to me. After replacing the tweeter one should adjust a variable resistor, but that does not require any soldering? It would be interesting to see what components they have sent you.

Jdenz
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Jdenz replied on Sun, Nov 3 2019 8:46 PM

i am trying to upload a picture of the components but i can't. will i ruin anything if i just went ahead and installed the new twitter? 

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Mon, Nov 4 2019 12:03 PM

I believe the multiple component change refers to upgrading the tweeter protection circuit. The original wasn't very effective (hence many Beolab 8000s with burned tweeters) and was modified once or twice over the years.

The other adjustment is compensating for the measured values of that particular tweeter, to make the overall frequency response as flat as possible. If you don't care about that and do not plan on using excessive tweeter-threatening playing volumes, you can just swap it over and forget about the changes/adjustment.

--mika

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS