Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 5005

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve Posted: Tue, Feb 16 2016 5:24 AM

Hi guys

I've just managed to get my hands on a beautiful Beogram 5005 - in working order with cartridge / stylus! 

It's a beautiful unit - but with its age, there are obviously a few niggles

1) The motor has a 'ticking' / whirring noise when it runs - it makes this noise without the belt attached as well. Can i lubricate the motor... and how? Or is the fix more complicated

The platter still seems to run at the correct speed and consistently, despite this.

2) When the needle drops, the audio coming out of the right channel seems to 'flicker' - i.e.: Come on, go off, then come on... very quickly.. all is fine once needle dropped. Same thing happens when tonearm lifted. My gut tells me this is the mute switch and not cartridge-related. How do i remedy this?

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Feb 16 2016 12:05 PM

Definitely not the switch if it does this when playing a record.

It just grounds audio when the arm is lifted, that's all.

If this occurs when you clean your stylus, then it is the switch! You have to clean the contacts.

Jacques

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Feb 16 2016 1:10 PM

The motor issue is a common one - below is the reply I've posted to it previously with advice that comes directly from Tim Jarman:

The problem is caused by the magnetic ring for the FG servo just above the commutator inside the motor. There is a plastic “tyre” that holds it in place in the motor and these age and then crack - the loose end gets mixed up with the brushes and make a noise. Normally just removing the offending loose piece is all you have to do, the ring seems to stay in place by itself.

To get at it, remove the bottom of the motor, unsolder the PCB and then take off the brush plate. It is much easier to put it back together if you take the pulley off first, then you can insert the rotor into the brush plate before sliding the complete assembly into the stator. Be sure not to lose any of the spacers and washers on the motor shaft, their positions are important. A tiny spot of oil on the two bearings is also a good idea while it is in pieces.

As to the dodgy channel, this could be the muting switch but it could also be the suspension in the cartridge. I've had two MMCs where the audio in one channel can be briefly heard as the arm lowers but then cuts out when the stylus lands fully on the record. In both cases, a new cartridge was required.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Tue, Feb 16 2016 3:21 PM

Yes, an MMC on its way out could do that, when playing. I can confirm Tim's trick with the FG Servo motor.

Jacques

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Tue, Feb 16 2016 3:37 PM

Thanks everyone - much appreciated. 

record plays fine, and the same channel flickers briefly when lifting stylus too. Right channel

two questions - where is the muting switch located on this deck

re the motor - is there a visual guide to doing this anywhere? I'm a novice and concerned I may completely stuff it up!

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Tue, Feb 16 2016 3:38 PM

And one more Q: what is the procedure for cleaning stylus to check this? Just turn the deck?

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Tue, Feb 16 2016 4:07 PM

Sorry - one final question:

while the tonearm seems perpendicular to the platter, the display arm seems to be at an angle. Any idea how I can adjust / straighten this? And any idea why this would be the case? See pic

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 9:18 AM

Apologies for all the questions in one thread - can anyone help re skew display arm? I've managed to get some assistance with the motor dissembly 

thanks in advance,

steve

Steve
Not Ranked
Cape Town
Posts 73
Bronze Member
Steve replied on Sat, Feb 20 2016 11:42 AM

Ok - I think I'm sorted re motor and checking cartridge. Can anyone give me advice RE the odd angle of the display arm? Is this normal or can I realign. Also, does it seem that the full carriage is at an angle if you look at the pic?

any feedback greatly appreciated. Thanks 

Steve 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS