Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocentre 9000 mk3 sw 3.3 - suddenly lots of problems (new purchase)

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

mrlossyman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
mrlossyman Posted: Tue, Mar 10 2020 8:05 PM

Hi I'm new here!

I recently purchased a beocentre 9000 which worked great for 24hrs!  I thought I got it at a great price with beolab 6000 speakers and stand all great condition.  The units was working fine, switching between disks, no playback issues all fab - until today.

I now have the dreaded pause issues after 10 seconds or so of playback, tried several disks, cleaned laser etc and still no joy.  The other strange thing is is when the door is closed it will not even attempt to play disc 6 (bottom), the sledge whizzes down there, makes a thud, moves back a tiny bit and then completely resets!  If the door is open it will attempt to play disc 6 fine (go to pause after a while though).

As I got this as seen I can't return it and the fact that it was working completely fine suggests something has gone wrong on my side.  I don't have a beo4 so can't run any tests.  I do know though from reading this forum that the laser mechanism seems to be the culprit for the playback issue, however I don't know whats up with the sledge and disc 6.

I'm in Surrey UK and there a BO dealer quite close, although I have no idea what a service would cost.  Anyone have any advice on what I can try?  I'm pretty good at stripping things down and assembling, I think I could probably do a laser swap myself if I could get the parts.

Any help appreciated.

mrlossyman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

I fixed the 6 disc issue and that is working fine.  I found out the laser is a VAM1250/21  -  9305 022 25021.  Are these easy to get and replace?

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Mar 11 2020 10:56 AM

Hi,

They seems to be findable on eBay at reasonable prices (depending on how much you paid for the whole 9000 unit).

In most cases you just need to change the laser unit (the little PCB with the blue eye and the orange ribbon cable).
Its not difficult but it's a little bit scary if you're not used to it. There's a lot of documentation around the web on how to do it properly.

Good luck!

mrlossyman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
mrlossyman replied on Wed, Mar 11 2020 10:39 PM

Thanks for the response.  I got the whole laser mech out and managed to find a guy on ebay who replaced the laser and tests the mech.  It was £100 but it's worth it as it should give me a few years trouble free.  Not sure if I got the BO at a good price I paid £800 for a mk3 sw 3.3 in very good condition, BO floor stand and Beolab 6000 speakers that are also like new.  It also had all the cables etc, but no remote.  Hopefully it will prove to be a good investment!

mrlossyman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

I got the laser fixed and the system is working perfectly!  The laser was really easy to replace, you do not need to remove the sledge.  It took about 20 minutes to put it all back together,  if you are quite handy and sensible it is an easy job...

Thanks to the person that PM's me the details for the laser replacement.

PaulGiles
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Bronze Member
PaulGiles replied on Tue, Mar 17 2020 10:15 PM
That is an amazing price!

Normally go for around £1500 with stand and speakers upwards of £250
mrlossyman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

That's nice to hear.  I thought it was reasonable, but I did have to get the laser replaced which I didn't know.  I think the transportation may have damaged it as it worked fine for a day then failed!  That's just bad luck!  With the new laser it is working like a dream :-).

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sun, Mar 22 2020 5:28 PM

If I should buy another Beosound 9000 (we're talking Beosound right?), I would assume that the laser is defective no matter what. Because either it is or it will soon, unless you had a track of recent change.

I don't think the transport has damaged the pick-up. Most likely it was tired and the seller was lucky enough it worked during the demo.
Not a big deal since you got it working again and it was a great price. Classic B&O shopping :-)

When I bought mine, I knew I'll have to change the pickup so I bought it eyes closed… Only to discover important parts of it's guts were missing. Had a very bad night that day Big Smile.

AndersPersson
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member

Since you managed to get it going I will just mention my "fix" for future readers of the thread...

Every now and then my 9000 tends to lose track of its whereabouts and won't play any CD, not just CD 6.
For me step 1 is to power off the entire thing using the "big red button" (no worries, it won't self destruct like in movies :-) ).

If that does not help it is time for step 2.
I have noticed that it seems like there is some tracking mechanism of the sledge that gets lost due to dust.
On more than one occasion it has helped to simply blow air in the track of the sledge.
If you have strong lungs or you are a sissy you simply blow as hard as you can to get the dust away.
If you however are a real man with big cojones you have a compressor in the garage with a reasonable number of horse powers and then you use that one. :-)
Just be ware that most compressors tend to not separate air and moisture so be careful not to blow loads of water into the system.

And of course for all Americans (and others as well): I assume no responsibility what so ever for my tips and ideas.

mrlossyman
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member

Yes Beosound 9000 that's right!

I'd always been into hifi when I was younger but sold off all of my Arcam stuff a few years back that had been boxed for many years.  The reason for B&O was purely the design, I am not at all blown away with the sound, but in todays Sonos and Alexa world the BO sounds great compared to them and there something just magical about seeing a CD spinning!  Next purchase will probably be a turntable to play all my old vinyl!  The other half not loving me at the moment!

Not good you got a unit with internals missing?   I didn't really do too much research so I think I've been very lucky.  The laser was pretty easy to change and I gave it a bit of a service and lube whilst it was in bits :-).

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS