Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 8000 or Beolab Penta for Movie/Music

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
bincheng Posted: Wed, Sep 5 2018 4:51 PM

Hello all, 

I am totally new in Beoworld and does not so much about Bang Olufsen products.

But recently I sold my Linn Majik DSI plus Ninka speakers and started to find some replacements.

The reason why I sold my really good Hifi system is due to 

1. The sound from the speak when watching movie is not attractive.

2. Linn K600 cables are too thick and look not tidy in the apartment.

3. The speak does not look so modern and appealing.

Therefore accidentally I found Beolab 8000 by its luxury design and astonishing look.

By diving in the forum of Beoworld, it is known that Beolab 8000 is not good at bass which people suggests Beolab 2/11. I am afraid that it is over my budget. Then I found Beolab Penta which I found the price is quite similar in the second hand market. But the appearance is a bit less attractive. Since I will connect to Sonos connect, I am worried that the display of Beolab Penta will not work at all.

My desire points of my new system:

1. Suitable for movie and music, music performance should be close to Hifi system

2. Nice, modern appearance

3. Possible to connect to Sonos Connect or Bluesound Node 2 since I want to stream my music through airplay wirelessly.

A lot of things are personal and subjective and relative, so any comments are welcome.

Best Regards,
Bincheng

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
What is the size of the room you will be using the speakers?

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Hello,

I will use it for my living room, it is around 5m*5m.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I would go for a pair of Penta’s, that way you can expand with a pair of Pentas as rear speakers and add a Beolab 7.4 as center.

With this setup in that room there is no need for a sub, unless you want that deep deep rumble. And for that you need your own house.

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 7:03 AM
Hi Bincheng,

I recently completed a new set up for my living room.

I am connecting to a Yamaha, and in your case, a Sonos. I also wanted a high quality system for both music and especially for movies.

After much thought, work, and planning, I ended up with Beolab 8000. The bass is actually not bad, but for movies, a subwoofer would complete the system.

I would recommend that you get a set of Beolab 8000. Later on, you will be able to get a Beolab 2. While your budget is currently limited, you can always add the Beolab 2 later on, even if it takes a year. The audio system is work that will never finish!

The reason I recommend the beolab 8000 is really because it’s design will never go out of style. You can later move it to another room or bedroom if you ever change out your sitting room setup. It’s simply a set of speakers you can keep for a very long time into the future. The sound quality is pretty good, but if the smaller bass is not tolerable for you, you can always use a cheaper subwoofer while you save up for a Beolab 2. I used a B&W ASW2500 for a while, and actually kept it as part of my system since it sounds much better than a Beolab 2 after I got the Beolab 2. That’s the good part about connecting to a none B&O source, you can use any subwoofer you like!

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Not to dis or anything, but he should be informed about the issue with the Beolab 8000 when aging.

Repairing it yourself takes some skill.

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It is beneficial for me to make a decision.

I understand your thinking here. And the need for the system is quite similar to mine.

1.  Sonos connect does not have sub output so Bluesound node 2 is an option. What Yamaha system do you have? I would like to have the wireless solution

2. Beolab 8000 + Beolab 2 is what I imagine the system in my mind but never have the chance to listen to it. I even never listen to Beolab 8000 before and I was impressed by its design. It looks so cool and morden.

By the way, before diving in B&O system, I was looking into Naim Mu-So which looks beautiful too with 400 W which produce good sound.

Howzit:
Hi Bincheng,

I recently completed a new set up for my living room.

I am connecting to a Yamaha, and in your case, a Sonos. I also wanted a high quality system for both music and especially for movies.

After much thought, work, and planning, I ended up with Beolab 8000. The bass is actually not bad, but for movies, a subwoofer would complete the system.

I would recommend that you get a set of Beolab 8000. Later on, you will be able to get a Beolab 2. While your budget is currently limited, you can always add the Beolab 2 later on, even if it takes a year. The audio system is work that will never finish!

The reason I recommend the beolab 8000 is really because it’s design will never go out of style. You can later move it to another room or bedroom if you ever change out your sitting room setup. It’s simply a set of speakers you can keep for a very long time into the future. The sound quality is pretty good, but if the smaller bass is not tolerable for you, you can always use a cheaper subwoofer while you save up for a Beolab 2. I used a B&W ASW2500 for a while, and actually kept it as part of my system since it sounds much better than a Beolab 2 after I got the Beolab 2. That’s the good part about connecting to a none B&O source, you can use any subwoofer you like!

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Thanks for your remind. I have read those info in some posts but dont know if it is common for old Hifi system or it is unique for Beolab 8000.

leogoeswild:
Not to dis or anything, but he should be informed about the issue with the Beolab 8000 when aging.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Also you say movie and music. What kind of movies and what kind of music?

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Game of Thrones, the Americans etc.

Music: Pop (Norah Jones etc), Jazz, Hip-hop (Eminem etc) 

leogoeswild:
Also you say movie and music. What kind of movies and what kind of music?

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

I have never owned a pair of Pentas and can't remember how they sound so not able to comment on these specifically. However, I have owned a pair of Mk 1 and Mk 2 BeoLab 8000s with a BeoLab 2 sub and I was extremely satisfied with the look and sound reproduction of this setup for movies and for music. I only used the sub with movies.

As a design statement, together they looked and still to this day look very modern and contemporary adding a real statement to whichever room they are placed in. I was more than happy with the sub for bass; in fact,i t was far too overpowering on many occasions but in a good way, I just didn't make use of it to that depth.

As for the BL8000s when playing music, well to my ears they produced a truly wonderful sound and I was often blown away by them. I would therefore wholeheartedly recommend such a setup. All the best and what a fantastic position to be in. Enjoy whichever route you choose, I am sure you'll be so happy either way. Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
bincheng replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:19 PM

Hello Simon,

Thanks for your good comments.

I just called local repair store and had a chat with them.

The guy suggests to use Beolab 8000 + one Beolab 2 + Beosound core. Beosound core has wireless connection and connect the Beolab2. Then from Beolab 2, one connects two Beolab 8000. But this system is above my budget, especially Beosound core which is hard to find in the second hand market. It means that I need to buy the new one. I was thinking to have sonos connect but it lacks sub output. Bluesound node 2 is an option. How do you set up your system? How to connect the whole system for movie and music? I am interested in the detail setup here. ^-^

By the way, what is the difference between MK1 and MK2 in your opinion?

BAND'OH!:

I have never owned a pair of Pentas and can't remember how they sound so not able to comment on these specifically. However, I have owned a pair of Mk 1 and Mk 2 BeoLab 8000s with a BeoLab 2 sub and I was extremely satisfied with the look and sound reproduction of this setup for movies and for music. I only used the sub with movies.

As a design statement, together they looked and still to this day look very modern and contemporary adding a real statement to whichever room they are placed in. I was more than happy with the sub for bass; in fact,i t was far too overpowering on many occasions but in a good way, I just didn't make use of it to that depth.

As for the BL8000s when playing music, well to my ears they produced a truly wonderful sound and I was often blown away by them. I would therefore wholeheartedly recommend such a setup. All the best and what a fantastic position to be in. Enjoy whichever route you choose, I am sure you'll be so happy either way. Simon.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:24 PM
Why do you need the core?

How do you listen to music? If it’s streamed from your mobile or tablet then why don’t you buy an apple airport express and use this as airplay? Or chromecast audio...

The speakers obviously need to be connected to the TV as you want to enjoy your movies...

Your TV needs some sort of input for the streamers (airplay, chromecast)...

What TV do you have?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 12:28 PM
Go slow...

Don’t buy anything just for the sake of it... save over some time if you have to...

Have a look below...

ALMANDO

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Hello Kiran,

I use iMac or phone to stream music wirelessly. At least,  this is what I like to play music.

I have looked airport express solution, then you will connect 3.5 mm socket to RCA inputs in Beolab 8000. I am not sure the quality of sound in this setup.

TV only has coax output but I may upgrade my TV.

Kiran:
Why do you need the core?

How do you listen to music? If it’s streamed from your mobile or tablet then why don’t you buy an apple airport express and use this as airplay? Or chromecast audio...

The speakers obviously need to be connected to the TV as you want to enjoy your movies...

Your TV needs some sort of input for the streamers (airplay, chromecast)...

What TV do you have?...

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 1:20 PM
bincheng:

I have looked airport express solution, then you will connect 3.5 mm socket to RCA inputs in Beolab 8000. I am not sure the quality of sound in this setup.

Upgrade your TV!!!

The airport expresses are only £10-£15 on ebay.

The quality is great! There is no loss and you will not be disappointed. You can Airplay from anywhere which I think you already know about as long as you’re connected at home...

I have 3 expresses which will ultimately go into 3 NL/ML Converters... 👍🏻💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 1:23 PM
If you plugged the RCA into the 8000, will the Powerlink work too?

I have never tried more than 1 connection to Beolab speakers...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Do you use 3.5 mm to rca cable?

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 3:34 PM
bincheng:

Do you use 3.5 mm to rca cable?

No... Powerlink to 3.5 and Powerlink to RCA

I will use the 3.5 to RCA for the new connections... from the airport express to the NL/ML...

I used to use the AUX from various BeoSound systems to my iPhone...

All my systems are in bits while my house is being done...

I won’t be using AUX anymore. I will be using the Line-In on the NL/ML converters to distribute 3 airport expresses around the house... (I have around 10 BL3500 for this)

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Allright.

I dont have  NL/ML and a bit confused about all the setting here.Sad

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 4:13 PM
I tell you what, buy an old apple tv... any generation...

Plug all your speakers into your TV. Plug the apple tv in via HDMI and then you’re all set to airplay from anywhere and use to screen mirror!

Only problem here is that your TV will need to be switched on to hear the music...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Hungedu
Top 500 Contributor
United States
Posts 165
Bronze Member
Hungedu replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 4:20 PM

Both the Pentas and BL-8000s are great speakers. I own both and have had them for well over 20 years. The Pentas will give you adequate bass but are not as crisp on the high frequencies like the BL-8000. Of course, a pair of BL-8000 paired with a Beolab 2 or Beolab 11 subwoofer would take care of the bass. One member indicated that there are problems with the BL-8000s as they age. I'm not sure what he means by that, as I have owned mine since 1993 and one needed a new transformer at one point, but that is not a common issue. The smaller BL-6000s have a known issue with foam rot around the woofers. I had to perform this repair on my BL-6000 speakers a few years ago but never experienced this problem with the 8000s, which I have owned for years longer. My Pentas have been problem-free since 1996.

Also, Pentas have a fragile, stainless steel finish. They can be easily dented and show every fingerprint. Personally, I think the BL-8000 is a more iconic and timeless design and is my all-around favorite.

BeoLab 5, BeoVision 7-55 MK2, BeoSound 5 Encore, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, BeoLab 7-6, BeoSound 8, BeoTime (analog clock), Beo 4 remote.

chickenceo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member

I vote for the 8000 as well, at one point in time, (actually not long ago), I have considered replacing the 8000 with focal, but the look of two black boxes vs the slim 8000 is no comparison at all. Am keeping the 8000(gold color) until I replacing them with BL 5. Then I will move the 8000 into the bedroom. :)

BL8000, BL10, BL4000, BL2, BL3 (Sold), Beocentre 2 (Sold), Beosystem 3, LG C8

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

The main reason why I started to look into Beolab speakers is due to the design of Beolab 8000.

Pentas is probably due to its bass, but as you describe Pentas is a bit more fragile in terms of the product quality.

Start with Beolab 8000 as a start and add Beolab 2 or 11 or even other brands sub can be a good idea.

Then it is what receiver I should use, sonos connect seems lack of sub output, bluesound node 2 can be an option.

Hungedu:

Both the Pentas and BL-8000s are great speakers. I own both and have had them for well over 20 years. The Pentas will give you adequate bass but are not as crisp on the high frequencies like the BL-8000. Of course, a pair of BL-8000 paired with a Beolab 2 or Beolab 11 subwoofer would take care of the bass. One member indicated that there are problems with the BL-8000s as they age. I'm not sure what he means by that, as I have owned mine since 1993 and one needed a new transformer at one point, but that is not a common issue. The smaller BL-6000s have a known issue with foam rot around the woofers. I had to perform this repair on my BL-6000 speakers a few years ago but never experienced this problem with the 8000s, which I have owned for years longer. My Pentas have been problem-free since 1996.

Also, Pentas have a fragile, stainless steel finish. They can be easily dented and show every fingerprint. Personally, I think the BL-8000 is a more iconic and timeless design and is my all-around favorite.

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

That is really a good example how the design of the speaker can save its life.

The reason of dropping my linn Ninka is also due to the outlook of it.

May I ask how you use BL 8000 in your setup?

chickenceo:

I vote for the 8000 as well, at one point in time, (actually not long ago), I have considered replacing the 8000 with focal, but the look of two black boxes vs the slim 8000 is no comparison at all. Am keeping the 8000(gold color) until I replacing them with BL 5. Then I will move the 8000 into the bedroom. :)

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Get a Beosystem 3 Wink Big Smile

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member

Good choice but over my budget.

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
bincheng replied on Thu, Sep 6 2018 10:45 PM

I Google airport express and the output is a combination of mini toslink and analog output so it can use 3.5 mm to rca cable.

chickenceo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member

I use the BL8000 as front L and R connect to the pre out of the Pioneer LX83 using modified 9pins (was it 9 pins?) and 12v trigger. The same way I used to connect the BL 2 and BL4000. Only the BL 10 that need 7v trigger have I used a dedicated trigger box.

I have been using the whole setup for almost 10years and only one 4000 had failed me and send back for an amp replaced. The only real problem I have is the tacky sticky finishing on the BL10 and the BL2.

I have found the 8000 sounds a bit sharp to my ears and I have to play around the EQ on the Pioneer. It's getting closer to what I like, but am still fine tuning. 😁

chickenceo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
Bronze Member

I use the BL8000 as front L and R connect to the pre out of the Pioneer LX83 using modified 9pins (was it 9 pins?) and 12v trigger. The same way I used to connect the BL 2 and BL4000. Only the BL 10 that need 7v trigger have I used a dedicated trigger box.

I have been using the whole setup for almost 10years and only one 4000 had failed me and send back for an amp replaced. The only real problem I have is the tacky sticky finishing on the BL10 and the BL2.

I have found the 8000 sounds a bit sharp to my ears and I have to play around the EQ on the Pioneer. It's getting closer to what I like, but am still fine tuning. 😁

Howzit
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 94
Bronze Member
Howzit replied on Fri, Sep 7 2018 9:17 AM
leogoeswild:

Fair enough. However, the Pentas would have even more drivers to worry about wouldn’t they? A lot I see on eBay actually are sold with foam rot, while I have yet to see any BL8000s being sold with foam rot. Not say they don’t get them, I suppose that is the issue with any old speakers. I went through an Infinity vintage phase... with those, forget about it! Foam rot haven. B&O speakers seem to fair better.

From what I have heard, the Pentas are superior in sound, but the design is a little dated, but that would be the only con.

bincheng, another vote for the BL8000 from me is that later on, you can add another set for Surround or Rear... or match them (stylistically) with BL6000.

Connecting them all is a puzzle at first, but it becomes very easy after youve been around Beolab speakers for a few weeks. I have 8 beolabs connected to my TV, all triggered on and off from a 12V trigger off the Yamaha. Nothing too difficult.

Beolab 9 | Beolab 8000 | Beolab 6000 | Beolab 2 | Beolab 3 | Beosound 9000 | Beoplay A9 | Beomaster 8000 | Beovox M75, / S75, / S45.2 

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Repairing foam rot on Pentas is easy.

Repairing failed electronics inside 8000’s due to the isolation destroying the electronics; not so easy.

I had surround setup with Pentas. Best thing I ever had.

But this discussion is not going anywhere.

OP will get 8000’s Big Smile

bincheng
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Bronze Member
bincheng replied on Fri, Sep 7 2018 10:55 AM

Hello, 

I think I will go to Malmö which is close to Denmark to have a look at Beolab 8000 MK2 to check the condition and listen to it.

I am sorry that I dont know about 12V trigger.

I probably will think about to add Beolab 2 in future if I buy Beolab 8000 this time.

Steve said I can add Beolab 2 to the Beolab 8000 and Node 2, as follows.  The Beolab 2 subwoofer needs a powered cable to generate the trigger signals that would normally be sent from a B&O television:-

https://soundsheavenly.com/line-in-connection/singletwin-rca-to-beolab-2-7-10-2500-powered-trigger-kit

The Beolab 8000 speakers will then plug into the two output sockets on the Beolab 2 using standard Powerlink mk.3 cables (one cable is needed for each speaker):-

https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Fri, Sep 7 2018 12:17 PM

Bincheng - I recommend.

/ Peter Pan

Jaffrey2230
Top 150 Contributor
Washington DC
Posts 520
Bronze Member

My set up is very similar to what you're looking at, in that I currently have a pair of BeoLab 8002 (similar sound to 8000 mk2) with a BL 2. Interestingly I had a Bluesound Node 2 at some point but ended up replacing it with a BeoSound Core. I found the Core had slightly better audio quality than the Node 2. The bass seems a little punchier with the Core vs. Node. I don't recall now, but with the Core you don't need a separate trigger for the BL 2.

Also, if you want to use the Optical connection from an Apple TV. You can use the Apple TV 4K and there are many HDMI audio extractors that will split the HDMI video and audio. They are pretty cheap on Amazon and work well in my experience.

My current BS Core use case is set up to take an optical input from an Apple TV 4K using an audio extractor (Monoprice) and the Core is connected to a BL 11, which is connected to BL 6000s. This set up is in my bedroom vs. the BL 8002 + BL 2 which is in my TV room (connected directly to the Sony TV's variable line out output - the Sony OLED TVs have this, not sure about others).

I love the bass from the BL 2. Some people say it is too slow for music but that hasn't been my experience. It compliments the BL 8000 perfectly.

B&O in my life 😊: 

• Beolab 8002 + Beolab 2 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Office)
  • Beolab 6000 + Beolab 11 + Beosound Core with Essence Remote (Bedroom)
  • Beoplay A9 Mk2 (Living Room)
  • Beosound 1 with wireless dock (Portable)
  • Beosound Balance (Dining)
  • Beoplay H95 (Focused listening, travel)
  • Beoplay H9 (3rd gen) (retired)
  • Beoplay P6 (Portable)
  • Beotime wall clock (hallway entrance)
  • BMW X5 50i with B&O Audio Package (Commute/drive)

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS