Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beomaster 8000 ghost-turn on

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF Posted: Sun, Sep 5 2021 1:30 PM

Hi all,

Lately I am experiencing a strange behaviour from my Beomaster 8000:

it seems to turn itself on without any command coming from me (remote control or activating ON) ?!

is it possible an outside remote would be able to turn it on or is it a intermittent fault with the IR receiver ?

really like to get to the bottom of this.

thank you kindly for your assistance.

ALF

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Sep 5 2021 2:38 PM
Hi Alf,

My Beomaster did that once, before re-capping 10 years ago.

That was the last time.

My second one I keep as a donor for parts has never been re-capped, and works just fine! Stick out tongue The display, however, needs re-LED’ing (can you say that?)

Jacques

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Sun, Sep 5 2021 7:31 PM

Hi Alf,

That is a known problem, although rare I believe.
I know of five owners that have experienced the problem and there were a couple of others when I asked a while back on this Beoworld Forum.
Most of the time the sudden turn on is to one of the FM presets.  Typically P2 I believe.

I took on one of the units and worked on it for a few months.  My problem is that during that time I could never get the problem to show up here.
I even tried connecting up to different house circuit breakers.

Within the Beomaster 8000 itself I have replaced the Microcomputer board and Power supply boards.  Neither solved the problem for the owner and all of the boards always work perfectly here.  I have tested various power outages and computer resets.  None of those scenarios produces the sudden turn on.

I had the owners disconnect their control panels and only operate via remote control to see if the control panel was a problem.  It wasn't.
I believe the issue is with the remote control circuit itself.  

If you have time and are up to it I would like to see what happens if you remove the remote control circuit wiring to the Microcomputer board.
If that makes the problem go away then we will know that circuit is susceptible to some sort of noise.

On the Beomaster 8000 that I looked at for several months I finally replaced everything I could think of related to source selection.  I replaced all of the board connectors and made new cables for the control panel to the Microcomputer board.  Since then that owner hasn't experienced the sudden turn on issue any more. I wish I could explain why but since I have never had the problem occur here, even with a known bad-actor unit, I really don't know.

Martin mentioned that there was a B&O service bulletin about a similar problem with a Beomaster 6000 but nothing on the Beomaster 8000.  The bulletin for the Beomaster 6000 was to change some components in the removed control receiver circuit.

John

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Mon, Sep 6 2021 11:04 AM

Hi John,

many thanks for your comprehensive reply - this BM is fully recapped with Martin’s kit and is the only one out of 4 with that behaviour.

it comes very much random and my first suspicion was an outside remote transmitter from one of our neighbours.

I am fairly busy with other projects at the moment and can live with it for a while as it is not a daily problem.

should it occur more frequent I may have to bite the bullet and shift the monster to the workbench.

kind regards

ALF

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Tue, Sep 7 2021 1:28 PM

My Beomaster 8000 started doing this when it was in use in our dining room - randomly switching on P3. It was quite unnerving to suddenly hear voices in the house one night when i was in on my own!

It turned out to be the battery in the remote terminal - apparently as the battery wears out, it has a tendency to cause the handset to send out random signals. i put a new battery in - no more problems.

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Mon, Sep 13 2021 1:33 PM

Hi AdamS,

nice theory / thought and indeed, the battery in my remote lost a good 10% of its voltage.

so, for good measure I put a new one in…….but the ghost is still around.

looks like I have to follow John’s route to success….😩

we’ll see.

regards, ALF

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Mon, Sep 13 2021 6:51 PM

Hi Alf,

Before you start replacing board connectors and so forth could you try disconnecting the signal line from the remote receiver circuit (on the power supply board) from the microcomputer board.  That will completely disable the remote control functionality and I am curious to know if that removes the problem.
If it does then we can focus on something to do regarding the remote control receiver circuit.  But first...we need to make sure it is the source of the problem.

John

ALF
Top 100 Contributor
AUS
Posts 1,015
Silver Member
ALF replied on Wed, Sep 15 2021 2:14 AM

Hi John,

interesting pointer, thank you.

i am a bit snowed under with work on a friend’s Beogram 4002 with a dead servo and work on some Quad ESL speakers.

i will definitely follow up on it and keep you posted.

thank you

ALF

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS