Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Difference between ML Gateway and BL Gateway

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog Posted: Thu, Dec 10 2020 11:58 AM

Hi,

I have a ML Gateway - but was wondering whether it is worth changing to a BL Gateway. Does it give me any extra benefits to do this?

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member
L Spad replied on Thu, Dec 10 2020 12:05 PM

I have both - unless you have a newer beovision capable of displaying the home control menu then there is little point IMHO. I understand you use a pc based home automation solution interfaced to your MLGW (from your previous posts). I use a similar approach. For advanced users merely using the MLGW or BLGW as a gateway to a more capable automation controller then the difference is minimal. On the other hand if you are making use of drivers hosted on the B&O hardware then the BLGW has the benefit that new drivers are available for a broader range of things like hue lighting etc.

The only reason I updated was so I could see my webcams on my Beoplay V1 (basically an expensive baby monitor). I’d save my money and put it towards something more exciting like some new beolabs!

frog
Top 150 Contributor
Camberley UK
Posts 624
Founder
frog replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 12:50 AM

Yes, I am using the ML gateway into Domoticz, so as you say, I’ll not gain anything in switching to the BL Gateway. Thanks for the clarification!

L Spad
Top 500 Contributor
Brighton
Posts 271
Bronze Member
L Spad replied on Fri, Dec 11 2020 7:17 AM

For anyone who is interested - in my view the mlgw is available so cheaply now I think it’s a great way to access home automation from the B&O ecosystem if you’re willing to use an “always on” pc or Mac as the automation controller. Domoticz or Indigo are very good solutions and far more capable than anything natively hosted on the BLGW or BLI. For completeness I should also mention the MLGW is compatible with NL devices as well as ML devices. Quite an underrated product. 

Giovanni
Not Ranked
San Francisco Bay Area
Posts 56
Bronze Member
Giovanni replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:04 AM

I connected the MLGW to a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant and it works great. No need for an always on PC... the Raspberry is more than enough to run my entire home automation.

The software to integrate the Masterlink Gateway with Home Assistant is here:

https://github.com/simonkamronn/mlgw

Giovanni
Not Ranked
San Francisco Bay Area
Posts 56
Bronze Member
Giovanni replied on Tue, Dec 22 2020 4:05 AM

I connected the MLGW to a Raspberry Pi running Home Assistant and it works great. No need for an always on PC... the Raspberry is more than enough to run my entire home automation.

The software to integrate the Masterlink Gateway with Home Assistant is here:

https://github.com/simonkamronn/mlgw

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS