Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bang & Olufsen App for MacOS/Win?

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC Posted: Sat, Dec 19 2020 7:27 PM
Hello,

Reading from other threads it looks like there’s still some work to do on the iOS / Android B&O app but I was wondering if there’s anyone else out there who’s in the same user case I am.

During these sad times we live in, made of home working and lockdowns, I find myself using my Mac while the BV is running.

It would be convenient to control it (and other B&O products in the same network) with the same device I’m using, without the need to reach a remote, a smartphone or a tablet.

So what about having something like the B&O App we have for the mobile devices, same functionalities, but for macOS / Windows computers?

Does anyone know if there’s something like this on the works?

Thank you and I wish you all the best possible Christmas and New Year.

Olivier
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Dec 19 2020 10:46 PM

I thoroughly doubt something is in the works.

However, it may be that the iOS apps work on the new (M1) Apple silicon Macs.

I dont have one yet, but as soon as I do I will come back with some feedback.

For context (for those perhaps unaware), the new Macs can run iOS apps, unless the app provider opts out.

OlivierC:
Hello,

Reading from other threads it looks like there’s still some work to do on the iOS / Android B&O app but I was wondering if there’s anyone else out there who’s in the same user case I am.

During these sad times we live in, made of home working and lockdowns, I find myself using my Mac while the BV is running.

It would be convenient to control it (and other B&O products in the same network) with the same device I’m using, without the need to reach a remote, a smartphone or a tablet.

So what about having something like the B&O App we have for the mobile devices, same functionalities, but for macOS / Windows computers?

Does anyone know if there’s something like this on the works?

Thank you and I wish you all the best possible Christmas and New Year.

Olivier

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 4:47 AM

OlivierC:

Beoliving & B&o app both run on a Mac Mini with Apple's M1 processor. Both with complete functionality

Windows 10 can emulate Android (apps) with some Samsung phones (beta). I have no knowledge about the Android B&o capabilities in Windows 10 though.

tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 11:13 AM

Yes, that would be great. I wrote a small macOS app as a proof-of-concept to be able to remote control using the play/pause and vol-up/down keys from my mac computers: https://github.com/tlk/beoplay-macos-remote-gui

Would much prefer officially supported tools made by B&O, of course.

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 11:32 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions, guys!

I didn’t think about M1 processors and their ability to run iOS apps, good point!

This would justify the fact of not having a macOS app on the works for a phasing out HW.

Too bad I am still in the Intel realm (I presume there are still many) and I’m using my laptop for easy tasks, it might take some time before I will upgrade to a Mac equipped with the Apple CPU. Sad

Regards.

Olivier
Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 1:00 PM

OlivierC:
Too bad I am still in the Intel realm (I presume there are still many) and I’m using my laptop for easy tasks, it might take some time before I will upgrade to a Mac equipped with the Apple CPU
Use TLK's tool. It works real good on the Intel Apples.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 4:09 PM
Carolpa:

Use TLK's tool. It works real good on the Intel Apples.

I confirm, I use it every single day.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Sun, Dec 20 2020 8:52 PM
Ok, I have downloaded tlk’s Beoplay Remote, thank you Thomas!

I’ve seen XCode is necessary to compile it, I’m now downloading.

XCode download size is 11.6 GB and about 40 GB of free storage are needed to make it work, yikes! Geeked

I’ve just read another thread about it, https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/37724.aspx, but I would need some dummy proof guidance on how to properly install the downloaded files and folders with XCode.

Sorry but I’m not familiar with the process...

Thanks!

Olivier
tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Wed, Dec 23 2020 12:34 PM

Hi Olivier,

Yes Xcode is quite massive, last time I deleted a version it was going through maybe 300-400.000 files :-)

I have made a new release available that does not require Xcode:

This has been built on the Github infrastructure operated by Microsoft but macOS defaults to preventing you from running the app. Please see the link that describes how to open a Mac app from an unidentified developer.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Thomas

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Wed, Dec 23 2020 10:45 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for redirecting me to the latest source, I made it thanks to the link to the dmg file, much more suited for my skills. Smile

The downside is that despite I am shifting the volume cursor position in the BeoplayRemote app, nothing happens to the volume on the tv.

As you can see from the chain icon on the menu bar, the WiFi at home is streamed from my iPhone as a hotspot.

FYI, I’m running macOS 11.1 Big Sur on an Intel-based 2017 MB Air.

Might it be the iPhone as a hotspot instead of a proper WiFi router the reason of this behaviour?

Thanks!

Olivier
tlk
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 26
Bronze Member
tlk replied on Sun, Dec 27 2020 12:20 PM

Hi Olivier,

It could be that the BeoplayRemote.app does not (yet) work properly with BeoPlay-V1 devices. Sorry, I did not check that earlier. Have you been able to remote control the BeoPlay-V1 with the official iOS app when the BeoPlay-V1 and your mobile are connected to the same WiFi network (not hotspot)?

I found a discussion in the Home Assistant community about remote controlling a BeoPlay-V1. There is a user reporting that volume control works from the Home Assistant software, so it should be possible to make the BeoplayRemote.app work as well.

If there is a network expert out there with a BeoPlay-V1 and an iOS device, pcap-records of interaction between the official iOS app and a BeoPlay-V1 device would be well received :-)

Best regards,
  Thomas

OlivierC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 128
Bronze Member
OlivierC replied on Sun, Dec 27 2020 6:45 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the suggestion.

I made a test and the V1 can be controlled via the B&O app of my iPad when connected to a regular WiFi (I have a spare AirPort Express I’ve used for this verification) but it doesn’t when the devices are connected in the same WiFi through the hotspot.

When using the hotspot, the app doesn’t even see the V1, so I think it is the hotspot the weak point when trying to link the systems.

Thank you.

Olivier
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS