Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosystem 5500 w/Penta speakers - trying to connect outdoor non-amplified speakers

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Wendy J
Not Ranked
California
Posts 2
Gold Member
Wendy J Posted: Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:15 AM

(From new poster, not very technical) What do I need to attach some outdoor non-B&O, non-amplified speakers to my Beosystem 5500 so the outdoor speakers are not on all the time when I am listening to the system inside? From my limited research, I think I need a Beolink passive, but can it be used without the IR receiver?  I am having a hard time finding both the Beolink Passive and the IR receiver - mostly the IR receiver.  Is the Beolink Passive my only option for connecting those outdoor speakers or is there another route?  I am not averse to having to manually turn something on and adjust the volume for those outdoor speakers.

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:29 AM

The Beomaster 5500 does not have an ML-socket, so Beolink Passive wont work unless you use some other extra gadgets. I think what you want is an MCL2/A or MCL2/AV+MCL2/P.

/  Johan

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 10:35 AM

MCL2A with an extra IR transceiver is what would be typically used for this purpose (together they were sold as "MCL X-TRA speaker kit")

There is a catch, though - earlier Beomaster 5500 units will not work with it without a software update. I'm not sure if it is available from B&O any more, or whether having it installed would make any economical sense. If there is a "Datalink" sticker on the back of the Beomaster, you should be safe.

--mika

solderon29
Top 150 Contributor
U.K.West Midlands
Posts 764
Gold Member

Most versatile solution would be a MCL2A/V-MCL2p combination,this will give you remote control,and a degree of independent volume control of the second speakers.Downside is,you will need to run special B&O cable,and connect to power and it's all a bit of a "big hammer,to crack a small nut"!

Simplest solution would be use a speaker switch box with integral manual volume control for the extra speakers?Radio Shack etc locally should be able to sort something suitable?These are readily available in the UK for about £30.

Nick

Wendy J
Not Ranked
California
Posts 2
Gold Member
Wendy J replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 7:17 PM

Thank you very much for all this information. I think I will go the Radio Shack route.

BTW, I have used Sounds Heavenly before for cables, and he is great. I was willing to do some fancy cabling if he could help, but it seems like that is all overkill to be able to turn OFF the speakers outdoors when I need to.  That is really all I want to do.

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your kind words!

One simple solution could be to use your main room speakers in the "Speaker 2" sockets of the Beomaster, as these don't switch off when you press the Mute button.  Connecting your outdoor speakers directly to the "Speaker 1" sockets will allow you to easily turn off the outdoor speaker when required, either by pressing the Mute button, or by inserting a pair of headphones into the socket on the front of the Beomaster.

If you need any further help with cabling, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS