Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Wall of BM900, an almost finished project and this is the story

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member
Christian Christensen Posted: Tue, Jan 21 2014 11:49 PM

The Story of the BM900 Wall
Now when I took this picture, It feels more of a memory as 2p 900K is already sold and gone.
The wall could have been higher if I didnt choose to start selling of before I was finished with all of them.

They all came from an auction. 

For me it was a call.
What could be better with a new hobby then working on a bunch of 900?

Agenda was clear from start, to go work on all of them so they all reached a reasonable level of being nice cosmeticly, funtion well and could be used for someone that would love to own and use one.

I dont have possibility to wood work as living in an apartment so wood is what it is.

Day of arrival.

A truck from a freight company in Denmark arrived in front of the builing I live in a cold november night.
The happy danish truck driver helped me carrying in evertying ( well there were more B&O things in that deal ), and I got a nice oportunity to practice my danish language.

Once inside my apartment, I saw all the dirt on the items I bought, and a ugly smell spread out in the apartment.
Inspection, hmmm where have these guys been stored ?, many of them looked like they had been stored in a outdoor garage for decades.
I asked Eva to help me, she took a bucket of warm water, with a little dishwash soap and cleaned the first layer of dirt of them. The water was  really black after she was ready.

Inspection started.

more then half of them started and played, two 900M , not in the image, were both in horrible logisticly shape, wrecks and completly dead. Rust had digged in so deep in the knobs that I couldnd screw them off.
Over time, the two M models in worst condition became part machines to makes the rest be better.

What all have got in the renovation, is new powersupply cap, new lamps, new electrical connectors, and a completly de attachemtn and fine cleaning of the knobs, scale, FM Stereo alignments, more then half have stereo decoder...better clening and wood polish.

After this its  been individual work, some 900 were quick to fix as above, some needed way more work. broken lines on PCBs, mechanical problems in switchboard, hard mechanical tuning, removing modifications !, exchanging dead transitors, cant remember all.

One 900 came with a little story. It was stamped with SEMKO, approval , the old Swedish electrical safety approvement, but had a service tag from Denmark, so it had orginally been sold in Sweden, and ended up in Denmark.

3 of them is still under work, but I choose to take the image today as another K is sold and will be gone in a couple of days.

The project has been realy fun, but I will actually take a pause with 3 last ones as I have actually become a bit bored of opening 900s now.

A BC 7002 will take place now to give me new insirationa and lust on my kitchen table.

When I am totally ready I will keep 2 K and 2 M, the rest will be sold, I hope to buyers that will love them and use them.

I would love to keep them but with limited space I rather will continuie with new machines.

I have learnt alot on this journey, made mistakes, learnt again fixed my mistakes, been angry, been happy, been frustrated.

Martin have helped me ALOT, thanks Martin, and the biggest thing Martin taught me was not to throw away the two wrecks, All these would not have been this nice if I in stupidity would have thrown away the two wrecks.

I realize that this renovating is not only technical skills to learn, its a culture to learn.

What to do with them and what not to do, risk factors due to my own limitation of skills.

One future project will be to change all caps in the preamp in one of the 900 I will keep, to evaluate eventual sound quality improvement.

Soo, I didnt get to take the picture before the wall begun to be taken down by two pieces, and soon this will only be a memory, documented in pictures.

Its nice to touch them,and see the wall... and aren´t they lovely ?

My re-capped M75 are my precious diamonds.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Nice story and congrats Chris, and yes just beautiful pics, but how in the world and where could you buy a lot like this.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Danish auction firm www.lauritz.com

It came with a bunch of BGs in redicilous bad condtions, and 3 beautifully BM3400 in quite good condition.
Yes it was a very strange buy, VERY . It would have been interesting to know the entire story.
If this was leftovers that they packed together to one bidding obejct, or if it was from one collector.

First part of story unknown ...

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

It ended up as a quiet expensive buy for me in the end, with all expensives freight aso, but it was worth it, as It has become a memory I will never forget.

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Actually I realize that the wall could have become ever bigger, one M is actually still open in in my project shelf

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 8:00 AM

LaughingLaughingLaughing Nice. Thanks for reminding me that I don't have a black fascia 900. Stick out tongue

Beats my old "quadraphonic" 900K pic. Well done saving these! Yes - thumbs up

--mika

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 8:10 AM

tournedos:
. Well done saving these! Yes - thumbs up

+1

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 9:31 AM

Very nice and impressive!Smile

//Bo.
A long list...

Jacquesboo
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Bronze Member

Great job, congrat !!! And nice story ;)

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

The entire pile is now working perfect, !

One K number 2 from the bottom had a dead FM tuner, now fixed this aturday evening
Yipieee 

Just minors stll to do

A couple of power supply cable needs to be replaced and i will look for new rubber feet to them, then its all done. Smile 

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 25 2014 11:28 PM

Wow Christian, that's a lot! ShalI I do the same with my pizzaboxes 6500/7000'sBig Smile

Brengen & Ophalen

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

You are sooo, dxxxx, extraordinary funny, I laughed myself almost dead now. Big Smile

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

double post please remove

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

double post please remove

Killmouski
Not Ranked
A hot tin roof in Stockholm
Posts 55
Bronze Member

Leslie:

Wow Christian, that's a lot! ShalI I do the same with my pizzaboxes 6500/7000'sBig Smile

NO
not every thread on this forum is about how much stuff you have gathered les. why not make your own beobrag website. OT anyway.

nice work chris. really enjoyed this. watch out for the rubber bumper feet or screw heads will mark whatever it sits on. will the bm3400s and bgs also come or are the bgs too bad?

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sun, Jan 26 2014 6:36 PM

Wall of Pizza's

Brengen & Ophalen

Killmouski
Not Ranked
A hot tin roof in Stockholm
Posts 55
Bronze Member

congrats on your hoarding les for crying out and if i may ask you the point of your post in this thread?

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sat, Feb 1 2014 12:49 PM

Minuscat:

congrats on your hoarding les for crying out and if i may ask you the point of your post in this thread?

I imagine it was the amusement of finding someone else who collects - some people collect lots of different things, some collect every single type of a single device and some collect a mixture. I used to be in the former category but have divested myself of almost everything - I can however see a certain joy in seeing a wall of 900s! Completely pointless of course but very amusing! I feel quite inadequate now though - I only have one 900!

Peter

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Minuscat:

pointless or not, I am sure it is very interesting post for many vintage fans here...

Thank you Christian for you 900-story! Wink

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

Peter :), if you read my initial post, the agenda is to sell them to people that will use them and hopefully love them
The agenda was to save them , make them nice and spread the culture of vintage B&O.

Christian Christensen
Top 150 Contributor
Stockholm
Posts 512
Bronze Member

decided to keep two refurbed for my own collection

Last one for sale is up on internet.

Mission complete, B&O culture spread to new users. 

BO
Top 150 Contributor
Halmstad, Sweden
Posts 728
Bronze Member
BO replied on Tue, Mar 18 2014 10:59 PM

Good job, well done!

//Bo.
A long list...

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Impressive work! Yes - thumbs up

I've done similar stuff with Beogram 4000-series (relubing, new trimpots, alignment and speed cal) one at a time, it's a good feeling to know that someone is happily using them now instead of ending in a landfill.

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Page 1 of 1 (23 items) | RSS