Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beogram 4004 plate suddenly slows down

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle Posted: Tue, Feb 25 2014 6:08 AM

Hello,

I have a Beogram 4004 that my father gave to me. I believe it is a 1978 or 1979 model.

The last day and a half I have had an issue where on 33, the sound suddenly drops as the plate begins moving much slower. I checked and the belt was on correctly when this happened. I assume there is a problem with the belt-turning motor. When I started it up later in the day, it worked fine for a while, until the same slowness suddenly started in again.

I am comfortable taking the plate/covers off the rig but I am not very proficient with some of the terms I've seen in other forums, and many people didn't have the 'sudden' change of speed like I was seeing. If someone could explain to me how I can diagnose this issue, I'd really appreciate it.

A bit of history here: The beogram wasn't used for about 10 years before this last year. It was working a year ago, but after studying abroad a year, I returned and now have this problem.

Thank you! 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Tue, Feb 25 2014 7:00 AM

Welcome to Beoworld !

These Beograms are famous for speed problems but most are quite easy to fix.
The speed setting trimmers on the main board can act up, so can the speed switching relay (where fitted) and
the fingerwheel-operated potentiometers on the operating panel.
Finally, the motor itself can be in need of cleaning and lubrication to its bearings.
All a bit technical, I'm afraid but, as said, fixable.

Martin

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 12:51 AM

I believe the potentiometer dials are operating correctly, as they still worked even when the plate was moving slowly. A B&O technician told me my potentiometers were in better shape than most Beo 4004s, since the back lights were originals and still working well.

It's safe to remove the motor by unscrewing it and removing it, right?  I'm planning on opening it up to see what's going on inside.

Where would I purchase new parts, if something is broken or worn out?
Where do I check the speed switching relay and the speed setting trimmers? 

Sorry to ask such simple questions. I'm trying to study this and learn it all for myself, which is difficult for a girl who grew up in the CD era. Sad

Andrew
Top 500 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 151
Bronze Member
Andrew replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 1:09 AM

Hi Danielle

The speed relay and trimmers are mounted on the PCB inside the Beogram underneath the platter (large circuit board). I would get them cleaned up before I begin looking at the motor as they are usually the source of the problem, not in all cases, but I'd prefer to check those before I begin to disassemble a DC motor which isn't easy to come by :)

The fact the globes are original doesn't have anything to do with the condition of the fine speed control dials on the top plate but the fact it continues to slow down even when these are worked suggests its likely the relay or the trimmers on the PCB inside the machine.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle replied on Tue, Mar 25 2014 1:44 AM

Would you direct me to the speed relay and trimmers? Here is a screenshot of my board. Again, sorry for the lack of technical knowledge in this. I appreciate your help.

xSpxtPN

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:33 AM

I had issues with my 4002 not too different from you.  I will try to find that old thread for reference.

The trimmers are probably the round pieces to the right (in your photo) between the two orange and white wires.  They have a slot in them a small flat head screw driver will fit into.  If you put the small screw driver into the slot, you can "exercise" the trimmers by turning them all the way to the left, then all the way to the right.  "Exercise" them about 25 times and you may cure your problem.  Easy to do.  But then you have to reset your speed.  (I tried replacing these trimmers but that wasn't the ultimate answer in the end.)

The relay is the cube to the far right (in your photo) below the orange and white wire.  Sometimes cleaning the contacts of the relay solves speed issues.  Not as easy.

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:40 AM

Thank you so much, Rich!
Do you know how to reset the speed after exercising the trimmers?

Let me know if you find your old thread!  

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:43 AM

Rich:

I had issues with my 4002 not too different from you.  I will try to find that old thread for reference.

Check this old thread.  Lots of advice on speed issues.

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:45 AM

Danielle:

Thank you so much, Rich!
Do you know how to reset the speed after exercising the trimmers?

You're welcome.  I bought a strobe and speed disc, but you should be able to get very close by ear if you have an LP of something you know very well.  I imagine it can be done electrically if you have the service manual and the right test equipment.

Old thread link above.

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 12:52 AM

Oh, wonderful! Thank you! I will give this a shot tonight/tomorrow and see how it goes. 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Download a speed disc, print on cardboard, cut to size, as you are in the US you will need a 60 Hz speed disc, then using a normal old light bulb you can adjust the speed.

What I would do is: change electrolytic capacitors and trimmers (potentiometers) and get a new belt, then adjust the speed, and if there are still problems, then and only then go for the motor.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 2:13 AM

Where can I find electrolytic capacitors and potentiometers for the 4004? 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Here or ask Martin (Dillen) on this forum, but if you dont know how to solder and a little bit of electronics, dont try it yourself.

Danielle
Not Ranked
South Dakota
Posts 7
Bronze Member
Danielle replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 3:02 AM

Great. Thanks again, everyone.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Now dont give up, its a nice turntable and worth saving, keep us updated

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Wed, Mar 26 2014 10:18 AM
Dnllrchr:

Thank you so much, Rich! Do you know how to reset the speed after exercising the trimmers?

There is also an iPhone app called Platter Speed that can help you adjust the speed accurately if you have a test disk with a 3510 Hz or even 1kHz test tone. I've used it with great success on my BG 5005.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS