Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocenter 7700 - 3 questions

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu Posted: Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:22 PM

Hi,

I have a nice Beocenter 7700 that miss is front woodtrim. Don't know why it's annoying me that much. It was probably removed by a previous owner to match the CDx. Shame!

Judging by the sides, i might think it's teck, and it's stained... (it's too "orange" to be natural)..What do you think? Besides, does anyone ever replaced these trim? What did you used?

My second question is about the turntable. When another source than phono is playing, the light under the cover stays on. However it's faint compared to when the lid is open or if the source is on phono .. is this normal or should it just turns off completely when another source is selected?

My third question is about the clock. On standby, you can choose to display it or not. However if you choose to display it, it turns off after about one hour. Is there a way to let it on permanently. (Or perhaps the purpose is to manage the leds?)

Thanks to everyone for your kind help

Guillaume

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 12:55 AM

Hi there

I will try to answer your questions...

1: You can buy some Wood veneer and glue it to the front. There has been some postings on this subject earlier, here on Beoworld. Just Google veneer, and you will find sites where you can buy it.

2: The light should turn off when the lid is closed.

3: I don't think the clock display can be on permanently (perhaps a good thing as those LED's has a limited lifespan)

Steffen

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 11:58 AM

Thanks Steffen,

So I'll have to open that turntable again.. I had a lot of contact problem lately with it, although it plays fine now. I was not sure if the light that stays on was a good thing or not since it definetly looks good in the dark!

I've already started to check for veneer. It's just that I can't find the exact wood match, with the same wood grain. Teck comes in a lot of variety or provenance. But it is really teck?

Like rosewood... In fact, in the 60's and 70's, what was actually refered as rosewood was principally "Dalgerbia Nigra", or Brazilian rosewood, which is now a preserved and vulnerable species, practically impossible to find. Rosewood now comes in a lot of substitute that does't have any link with the original species. It only rather "looks" like it.

I always wondered what type of wood Bang & Olufsen really used for their veneered parts. If it really was Dalgerbia Nigra, then the value of the items veneered with it might be considered superior!

Guillaume

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 3:11 PM

Different sorts (with different grain patterns) were used during the years.
The ones found on the 1960s Beovox speakers varies greatly from what was used in the 1970s and
you'll find a very different grain in the 1980s and that goes for both teak and palisander.
Look at the serial number label on f.e. a Beomaster and you will (often but not always) see a stamped
marking of T3 or P2, referring to the sort and grain pattern. E=oak, T=teak, P=palisander with the number
corresponding to the grain pattern.

I believe the palisander was dyed to B&Os specs.

Martin

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 1:35 AM

hamacbleu:
So I'll have to open that turntable again.. I had a lot of contact problem lately with it, although it plays fine now. I was not sure if the light that stays on was a good thing or not since it definetly looks good in the dark!

Well - if it looks good in the dark, why not just leave it as it is. It will be easier to just change the lightbulb in the lid when it blows, than to open the turntable again 

hamacbleu
Top 500 Contributor
Québec, Canada
Posts 194
Bronze Member
hamacbleu replied on Mon, Jun 16 2014 11:15 AM

Dillen:
Look at the serial number label on f.e. a Beomaster and you will (often but not always) see a stamped
marking of T3 or P2, referring to the sort and grain pattern. E=oak, T=teak, P=palisander with the number
corresponding to the grain pattern.

Thanks Martin,

I didn't no that.. that's an invaluable information.. However, I don't see this information on my various 80's units. Perhaps it was a 60's or 70's practice? Yesterday, I was finally able to ID the essence of my old Beocenter 3500. It bears the mark "P3". If the number correspond to the grain pattern, then I might think that "3" refers to a flat cut. Also, the wood on my unit is not dyed.

To Steffen: I'm not in a urge to open it anyway: I'll have to make a deep cleansing of the tape deck somedays I'll check that at the same time.

...By the way, I've found that "Padouk" wood might be a good substitute to this type of woodtrim, with orange hue, and faint black stripes, frequently present on the woodtrim of 80's units...

Thanks

Guillaume

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS