Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab Penta Mk2 amp failed last night. Any suggestions?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

r5gordini
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
r5gordini Posted: Mon, Jun 30 2014 10:38 PM

Hi All,

I've been getting on ok with my Pentas (only had them a couple of months) and have successfully repaired one of the amps. The other failed last night. Was working perfectly, then suddenly there was a loud buzz sound and it stopped working. I didn't realise, but it had gone into protection mode.

Now when troubleshooting it, it won't stay out of protection mode, so it's a bit hard to measure voltages, etc.!

Prior to the fault, I replaced the op-amp with a Burr-Brown one. Lovely. I also replaced all the electrolytic capacitors that were in the signal path with high quality poly (I think - can't remember exactly).

I also recapped the crossovers.

Since the fault occurred I have recapped the rest of the board (except the power supply region, which seems ok). None of the capacitors I removed was faulty. I have also temporarily replaced the NTC (temp sensor) resistor with a 330K resistor. I also tried replacing the op-amp with the original.

So far, nothing has made any difference. Amp goes straight into protection mode.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have! What would the loud buzz indicate? Do I have failed output transistor(s)??

Thanks,

Andrew

r5gordini
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
r5gordini replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 10:41 PM

Oh - I forgot. I also replaced the trimmers just in case. Of course I can't set them since the amp is not working at all...

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 10:41 PM

Andrew, contact member Beobuddy, he's the Penta expert..

Brengen & Ophalen

r5gordini
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
r5gordini replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 10:51 PM

Thank you!

r5gordini
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Bronze Member
r5gordini replied on Mon, Jun 30 2014 10:51 PM