Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Another Beomaster 5000

rated by 0 users
This post has 38 Replies | 0 Followers

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig Posted: Sat, Sep 21 2019 9:56 AM

Well....spotted this on ebay and for the princely sum of £63 acquired it! sold as spares/repair of course....seller identified as working but with issues around lamps and tuning meter malfunction. Following a visual inspection powered up gingerly from the variac….

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

True to its description it did actually function, the stereo lamp wasn't working and the tuning meter, or as much as was visible, was also skipping around. Connected a decent antenna to it and adjusted the stereo and muting settings and away it went.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Dirty and dusty in there as one would expect......but actually functions pretty well, will need the usual components replacing. More of a concern is the tuning meter front lens.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

This has been subject to a bit of UV damage I think....it's cloudy as opposed to marked, bit like the sliders on the Beomaster amps...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

I'm hoping someone out there will have a meter that's damaged/broken but with a clear lens I can purchase? I will drop Frede a line.....maybe he has one squirrelled away someplace..... 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Sep 30 2019 2:28 PM

Great new's...........

Just recieved an email back from Frede, he has a meter for me Big Smile I have asked him to send me an invoice to include for a reconditioned panel too.....this one is looking quite tired so its game on!

Craig

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Not a very good picture but as can be seen the panel text has worn away quite a bit......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

So whilst awaiting a panel and meter from Frede I have made a start on replacing the usual suspects...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Power supply smoothing capacitor first up.....sadly the bracket cracked along the main fold when I tried to bend it to suit the much smaller modern day capacitor...so I have put my faith in epoxy to hold it in place, not sure I'm completely happy about it and I may fabricate a bracket out of copper sheet.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

I wanted to change the 20vdc trimmer next, its a fragile looking skeleton type of trimmer that always look quite frail to me, checked the voltage before I started.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And again with a piher 15mm replacement, I checked the resistance setting of the old one and set the new one up accordingly.....was pretty close as it happened.....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Frede, when replying to my email around the meter and panel has recommended I replace the bridge rectifier (he advises these often fail in the BM5000 tuners) so I have been looking into a replacement, seems to me I need a 30vdc 250mA unit.....Martin I'm looking at you Wink

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Oct 3 2019 8:57 PM

The one in the photo is not the original.
It has already been replaced, looks a decent job, so no worries.

I am not sure if I have a photo of the original Siemens rectifier, but it's a similar type to what is used on the tuner board in
Beomaster 3000, only with a small metal mounting fin.
I also always replace the ones in Beomaster 3000(-2).

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Fri, Oct 4 2019 10:44 AM

Martin

I had a look at a previous post form my other BM5000 and sure enough this is a replacement, and quite a good job as you say Smile

https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.27.31.32/P1015078-_2800_Copy_2900_.JPG

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 4 2019 11:42 AM

That green BY-something in the link is not original either.  Laughing
But is also a decent (earlier) replacement.

Martin

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Fri, Oct 4 2019 11:48 AM

The original Siemens rectifier can be seen here:

Link

I've seen to many bad ones, so I like to replace them on sight.

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Amazing.....looks like the original rectifier was a bit flakey as Frede said, However it wont be a problem for mine right now. My inner front panel has taken a knock at some point so will need cleaning up and straightening out.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Taken apart and dressed up before application of a primer......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

All the electrolytic caps replaced along with the dodgy trimmers......awaiting the postman for the replacement meter and refurbished front panel, Frede has posted them so I'm hopeful they will turn up next week, meanwhile I will look to the cosmetics. I have to say this was not nearly as challenging as the last one....clearly the seller was honest about its assumed good condition.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

As always good job from your side, which type of the Piher 15 mm do you use, I have a BL/BM 5000 still waiting for restore

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Soren

The 20vdc trimmer is a 2.2k .25W which I replaced with a 2.5k device Piher No PT15NV02252A3030 2K5 0.25W 15mm, I had to modify the wiper pin out to suit the installation but it worked out fine, the wiper pin needs to be lengthened.

The Channel separation trimmer is a 5k .25W which I replaced with a Piher NoPT15NV02502A3030 5K 0.25W 15mm, this fitted with no modification.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Craig:

Soren

The 20vdc trimmer is a 2.2k .25W which I replaced with a 2.5k device Piher No PT15NV02252A3030 2K5 0.25W 15mm, I had to modify the wiper pin out to suit the installation but it worked out fine, the wiper pin needs to be lengthened.

The Channel separation trimmer is a 5k .25W which I replaced with a Piher NoPT15NV02502A3030 5K 0.25W 15mm, this fitted with no modification.

Thanks Craig, that makes it easier to order

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

finished off the inner front panel this evening.....looks happier

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Sanded all the old varnish and scratches away before applying bees wax......

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Mon, Oct 14 2019 9:46 AM

Whilst awaiting delivery of Fredes meter and refurbished panel, and out of boredom I decided to hook up both my BM5000 tuners and do some comparisons.....my previously restored tuner led me a merry dance with the front end FET's as some may recall, and I have discovered that the current tuner is more sensitve than the previously restored unit. Both units are picking up what I believe to be the strongest signals and both sound excellent...however the new unit is picking up stations in-between the strong ones which with the previously restored unit is only  faint....clearly a sensitivity issue......and although the unit still sounds very clear on the strong signals, stereo lamp illuminating correctly and everything crisp its not performing as good as the new project.....so something is still not 100% here......I am reluctant to start making adjustments to the alignment without the proper test equipment.....anyone got any advice, apart from leave well alone Unsure

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Mon, Oct 14 2019 10:12 AM

Not all Beomaster 5000 are identical.
They were produced with a couple of different frontend modules (one being the german Görler), some
have ceramic filters and some even have an extra IF-stage on the main board.

I wouldn't expect them all to perform alike.

In other words, make sure you don't compare bananas and apples. Laughing

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Martin

Thanks for the info...….I'm encouraged by that, and as I say the receiver is working very well outside this issue. Well Fredes parcel arrived yesterday and I am delighted as one would expect.....

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

These panels are actually better than when new....excellent job.

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

And the meter Frede gifted me also arrived......spot the difference!

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Meter fitted and rebuild started...…..

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Inside front panel...……...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Fredes front panel......time for a glass of wine ;¬)

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

Finished off this evening......sounds amazing, as you would expect. 

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member

It's little wonder these systems where so expensive back in the day.....I don't own a modern day stereo sound system and I imagine the top end market kit is very good, however I suspect this little fellow would give them a good run for their money Yes - thumbs up

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Craig:

Fredes front panel......time for a glass of wine ;¬)

Frede deserves a toast if any, as you said his font panels are better than new ones

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Oct 17 2019 6:21 AM

Wonderful result - as expected!

Martin

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Fri, Oct 18 2019 5:48 AM

Thanks Martin...….Frede tells me there are 9 variations on the BM5000, as you say its not realistic to expect them all to perform the same ;¬)

Craig

Beo_Jean
Top 200 Contributor
QC, Canada
Posts 334
Bronze Member
Beo_Jean replied on Sat, Oct 26 2019 1:55 AM

Well done again Craig,

I have 4 units of those sitting for a while; always good to know more before starting the work...

Craig
Top 50 Contributor
Yarm, United Kingdom
Posts 2,040
Silver Member
Craig replied on Sun, Oct 27 2019 9:52 AM

Thanks Charles.....they really are a joy to work on and to listen too when complete, I would like to be able to do more with them but don’t have the correct test equipment, or skill set right now 👍

Page 1 of 1 (39 items) | RSS