Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Problems with LC2

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

mattiasf92
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member
mattiasf92 Posted: Wed, Aug 1 2012 12:05 PM

I have four B&O Light Controller LC2 units in my home. Two of them works perfectly fine, but the other ones can't be operated manually and works only with the remote. Since they are placed on lamps hanging in the ceiling, it's no big problem, but I still want the manual function to work so I can program them for multiple LC2:s in one room and how they shall react to power failures and things like that. And in order to do so I need the manual function to work, becaus when programming the LC2 units you need to hold on the bulb while programming it with the remote. When i try to dim them or turn them off manually by tuching the bulb on the front, nothing happens.

Is this a common problem on the LC2 units and is it possible to fix it?

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 3:26 PM

Yes, this is a common problem, and yes, it can be fixed.

Just replace the shiny, black bowl with a new one - they are still available from Beo.

You`ll need a screw driver.

Stefan

mattiasf92
Not Ranked
Posts 20
Bronze Member

Thanks, I'll try that!

So you mean that the problem is that the bowl is scratched or something?

Keith Saunders
Top 25 Contributor
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Posts 5,495
Founder

The core principles of the LC2 dome sensor are based on one of Faraday's laws related to capacitance which is measured in Farads after Michael Faraday and capacitance is normally quoted in MicroFarads (10 to the minus 6) or PicoFarads (10 to the minus 12)

In the case of the LC2 we are talking about capacitances of between 25 and 75 Pico Farads and the dome whilst made of plastic is part of the dielectric of the capacitor. Below the plastic dome is what looks like normal rubber, but is in fact conducting rubber like material which joins the dome and the IR PCB. To stop stray interference/capacitance the IR board are as near as possible to the plastic dome and if not fitted correctly will stop the "touch" from working.

Below is the circuit which the Dome (Capacitor) is connected too.

The ST6220 microprocessor produces a strobe signal and when you touch the dome a capacitance is produced which switches the transistor TR3 and provides a pulse stream back to the microprocessor. Depending of how long you touch the dome defines how many strobe pulses goes back to the microprocessor. The processor counts the pulses to determine if you are switching the light off/on or dimming etc.

As stated the plastic dome is often the cause of the problem..

Regards Keith....

brasto
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
brasto replied on Mon, Oct 28 2019 10:48 AM

Hello Keith,

it is an old story, but can you still help me on the schematic diagram of the B&O LC2 type3120 Light Dimmer? I hate to see old stuff go to the trash..

TY Brasto

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS