Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

NAS and Apple TV

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Aussie Michael Posted: Tue, Mar 10 2015 9:12 AM
Hi guys

Has anyone successfully connected a NAS to their Apple TV via their beo vision ? ie through the computers menu on the Apple TV?

If so can you please explain how you set it up.
petermc
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 128
Founder
petermc replied on Tue, Mar 10 2015 9:21 AM

Yes - but it's via iTunes. 

We have all our movies and tv shows stored on a NAS controlled by a Mac Mini. This is the simplest interface for us on a BV10 that doesn't have media access etc.

PM me if you want more info.

Peter

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Which means, that you will have to have iTunes running (all the time) on a Mac (or on a Win-PC).

The NAS is just the 'place ', where the files are stored.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Mar 10 2015 9:44 AM

petermc:
We have all our movies and tv shows stored on a NAS controlled by a Mac Mini. This is the simplest interface for us on a BV10 that doesn't have media access etc.

This is off course a good way to view your media, because you have the possibility to use different software as mediaplayer (XBMC, Plex, VLC, ...). But it's not as cheap as an Apple TV, and how do you control it? By a BEO4? How do change to other programs easy?

Or do you use the Mac mini also as a computer with the BV10 integrated by mouse and keyboard, if so then it looks a good solution. Using a Mac mini only to play media on a TV seems a bit over the top, such a good versatile computer where you can do a lot of different things also. In my view...

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Amazone
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 187
Bronze Member
Amazone replied on Tue, Mar 10 2015 9:47 AM

Yes that is correct. Some NAS have 'iTunes server' fuction, but this is not what is needed. You need Home Sharing function from iTunes, to to share the music with AppleTV. So iTunes needs to be active somewhere in the network.

Another option, which I use, is to have the music on a NAS, and then use iTunes Match. After initial sync you can put your PC to sleep, and play the music on 10 devices. Including AppleTV. You can access the music on AppleTV via My Music. It works okay.

BeoVision 11-55, BeoLab 8000, BeoRemote One BT, AppleTV 4, 2x BeoPlay A2, BeoPlay A1

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Mar 10 2015 9:54 AM

Does iTunes Match has still that 25.000 songs limit?

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Mar 10 2015 11:00 PM
Amazone:

Another option, which I use, is to have the music on a NAS, and then use iTunes Match. After initial sync you can put your PC to sleep, and play the music on 10 devices. Including AppleTV. You can access the music on AppleTV via My Music. It works okay.

Yes, a good solution which I fell into accidentally some two weeks ago.

I don't know whether the 25k tracks is still a limit ..... I only have 17k

One disadvantage is that non-matched tracks are inaccessible while the MacMini is offline. In my case that is some 10% of my collection that is vulnerable as it is not in the cloud -- one reason I have a duplexes back up regime.

BeoNut since '75

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS