Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 4500 (mondriaan?)

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

knoet2007
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
knoet2007 Posted: Thu, Apr 18 2013 5:07 AM

Hi
I have 2 Beolab 4500's in Holland and I am moving to Canada.

I would love to take them, but then they have to be converted from 220V to 110V.

Is this possible? Is there an internal switch? Other options?

The same for my beolab 8000's (the pencils)

Any ideas?

Regards

Johan
Top 500 Contributor
Uppsala, Sweden
Posts 239
Silver Member
Johan replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:53 AM

The transformer can be rewired for 110V. The specifics are in the service manual on-site, available for silver and gold members.

/  Johan

knoet2007
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
knoet2007 replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 11:45 AM

I was hoping for a simple answer :) Like a voltage converter

Beobuddy
Top 25 Contributor
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Posts 3,972
Founder
Beobuddy replied on Sat, Apr 20 2013 10:13 PM

The suggestion Johan gave you, is more simple.

If you need help, it's Utrecht.

bwest1000
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
bwest1000 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:13 AM

Bumping a very old thread, but where can I find this conversion info?  Got a sweet deal on some 4500s and want to convert them to US voltage. 

Dillen
Top 10 Contributor
Copenhagen / Denmark
Posts 13,191
Founder
Dillen replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:12 AM

bwest1000:

Bumping a very old thread, but where can I find this conversion info?  Got a sweet deal on some 4500s and want to convert them to US voltage. 

In the servicemanual, as mentioned above.

Martin

bwest1000
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
bwest1000 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2021 10:51 PM

sorry - i signed up for gold membership but can't find the manual.  it's probably right in front of me but could you help please?

bwest1000
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
bwest1000 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2021 10:51 PM

sorry - i signed up for gold membership but can't find the manual.  it's probably right in front of me but could you help please?

bwest1000
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
bwest1000 replied on Fri, Apr 23 2021 10:58 PM

nevermind - found it.  i don't really solder or know what to do.  i am not sure i should attempt this.  

manfy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 185
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Sat, Apr 24 2021 7:30 AM

bwest1000:

nevermind - found it.  i don't really solder or know what to do.  i am not sure i should attempt this.  

It looks like a very simple job, but if you don't have any experience it probably also means that you don't have the right tools available. Good tools and all "the little bits and pieces" can cost you easily $50++

Just bring it to any electronics repair shop and give them a printout of the service manual. They will have it done in half an hour, I guess (dismantling, making changes, testing and reassembly). Or maybe you have a friend who has a friend who has a friend who studies electronics. Students usually like to play around with that stuff and they have the tools and the skills.

bwest1000
Not Ranked
Posts 52
Bronze Member
bwest1000 replied on Sat, Apr 24 2021 7:25 PM

good suggestions.  thanks.  i'll try this.  

also, btw - I noticed a very small dent in the stainless steel.  i dont suppose there is any way to repair that?  i am really into buying these old beo products.  i's like collecting old works of art.

manfy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 185
Bronze Member
manfy replied on Sun, Apr 25 2021 11:04 AM

bwest1000:

also, btw - I noticed a very small dent in the stainless steel.  i dont suppose there is any way to repair that?  i am really into buying these old beo products.  i's like collecting old works of art.

Hmm, now that sounds trickier. Is it a sharp dent? If so, you may be out of luck.

Looking at the pictures from Leslie's post <here>, I'd say there's no way to access the rear side of the panel without destroying it. And to fix a sharp dent there's no way around working on both sides of the panel.

If the dent is relatively shallow, it may be possible to use one of those paintless dent removal methods. I've seen a YouTube once where a guy used a tool and adhesive substance to get some dents out from his car. I never tried it myself but it looked good ant the tool + goo needed seemed reasonably priced. Some 30 or 40 bucks if I remember correctly.
One thing that might worry me though is that the Beo steel panel seems rather thin. Probably <0.5mm and that makes it hard to get an even surface. The metal used in cars is thicker, approx 1mm, I guess, and that means the material has more tension and form stability.

You could always try and check with an auto body shop that offers paintless dent removal. They can work miracles these days. They have all the tools and the experience -- but maybe not the patience or interest to work on such a low cost/low profit project. Wink

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS