Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 3 - Expected Lifespan

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

ire74
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
ire74 Posted: Tue, Jan 17 2017 9:12 PM

Hi.

I'm looking at buying a pair of Beolab 3's.  I've got a set on loan which are 12 years old, and love the sound.  Having a small awkward room setup, they suit perfectly.  This would be my first B&O purchase, and I'm wondering if I should be concerned by their age.  I'd really appreciate if those of you with some knowledge of B&O speakers in general, or particularly the 3's, for some advice, and what I should potentially be looking out for. What kind of life expectancy could I expect from these?

Thanks

Iain

pf85
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Bronze Member
pf85 replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 10:05 AM

Although I cannot give you a too technical feedback, here is my take. 

a) mine are running now more than 10 years  - no problem at all - sturdy built

b) you may know who the previous owner was and what his preference was (loud noise or else...)

c) physical check 

d) the set you may be purchasing may have limited warranty - seller liability

Overall and given that I have B&O gear spanning three decades, I have yet to encounter an issue based on lack of durability. You care and it gives back...So go for it if you are even able to test them. 

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
My dealer said they work best on a bookshelf etc where you can really work the passive radiators whatever that means

I think he means that if you put them close up to books or a surface they sound better.

I found that get sounded better when I connected them to the Avant than when I ran them on their own. You can adjust the db volume with the avant

I now have them plugged into an essence but am yet to work out how to adjust the db settings. But they sound good.
StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 11:33 AM
It was mentioned in a recent thread that the BL3 is also prone to deterioration.

I am on the forum via the app now, but I will search for it later. It was not substantiated, but might be worth looking into.
Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I have two pairs.

One pair was purchased new soon after I had the BL5's were introduced. No problem with them at all. The must be +13years old now

A second pair was purchased a few years ago (second life) and I think they are probably 6 years old. One speaker developed a fault and was repaired for a hundred-quid or so.

I think they are very reliable but best to keep them cool as there is not a lot of space in that cabinet and it is pack with drivers and electronics.

ErikVonAgnar
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 193
Bronze Member

I bought a demo pair last year. 
When I asked my dealer about the BL3's lifespan he said nothing is on the horizon.

It's hard to update them due to the small cabinet space. No WISA or other stuff can fit inside.

In both design and quality I think a pair of Bl3 will last a long time.

//EA   

Beo in white is my thingBig Smile

Currently own: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 5, BeoLab 18, BeoRemoteOne, BeoPlay V1-32", BeoRemote4, BeoSound 3200, BeoGram 6500 (MMC-1), BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, LC2, BeoVision MX7000 and BeoLab 3

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Jan 19 2017 9:39 PM

I have, quite literally, had hundreds of pairs - and I can say they are incredibly reliable. 

Lee

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 7:23 AM
9 LEE:

I have, quite literally, had hundreds of pairs - and I can say they are incredibly reliable.

Lee

Lee, are there any iterations to particularly avoid or seek out?

Perhaps in terms of serial number?
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 9:41 AM

StKong:

Lee, are there any iterations to particularly avoid or seek out?

Perhaps in terms of serial number?

No. None whatsoever. I'd be has happy buying a 10 year old pair as I would a 2 year old pair!

The one thing I would do, when/if you buy a pair, is use surge protectors. I've found that the only issue I've ever really had with these has been from 'dirty' power supplies.

Lee

StKong
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen
Posts 320
Bronze Member
StKong replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 10:09 AM
9 LEE:

No. None whatsoever. I'd be has happy buying a 10 year old pair as I would a 2 year old pair!

The one thing I would do, when/if you buy a pair, is use surge protectors. I've found that the only issue I've ever really had with these has been from 'dirty' power supplies.

Lee

Excellent! Thank you! Any comments vis à vis placement? Some in this forum are in favour of placing them on sturdy surfaces as opposed to wall mounting.
ErikVonAgnar
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 193
Bronze Member
I use the extra tall floor stands from STB. Never had a problem with them not being sturdy enough. I think all brackets and placements will be fine.

Or at least don't place them as they did in the Modern Family series Big Smile

//EA

Beo in white is my thingBig Smile

Currently own: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 5, BeoLab 18, BeoRemoteOne, BeoPlay V1-32", BeoRemote4, BeoSound 3200, BeoGram 6500 (MMC-1), BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, LC2, BeoVision MX7000 and BeoLab 3

ire74
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Bronze Member
ire74 replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 4:13 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.  They appear to be very reliable, as does all B&O kit, as people tend to look after them very well.  There also appears to be great backup from dealer.  I've returned my trial pair, and currently testing Kef LS50 wireless speakers.   At £2k brand new, they're a much smarter investment, but the sound is possibly too clinical.  The Beoplay had a lovely warmth to them, although do lack some bass at lower volumes.  The installer did mention when taking them away that they would have performed better had I used their internal amps rather than my own external non B&O one.  

Will need to decide soon, as after having heard these now, I realise how bad my old kit is and cant bare to listen to it!

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Fri, Jan 20 2017 6:38 PM

ire74:
The installer did mention when taking them away that they would have performed better had I used their internal amps rather than my own external non B&O one.

This is a rather peculiar statement. BeoLab 3 is an active speaker – there's absolutely no way to use it without its internal amplifiers, regardless of what you connect them to.

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS