Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound 3200 with hard drive. Subwoofer. Masterlink compatibility.

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

max65special
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Bronze Member
max65special Posted: Thu, Jul 5 2018 12:09 PM

I have a Beosound 3200 with hard drive. I would like to connect a B&O subwoofer via the masterlink socket as the aux socket on my Beosound 3200 is already in use. Could someone please tell me which B&O subwoofers would be compatible, if any?

Thanks.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 12:23 PM

Use a powerlink socket to connect Beolab 2 or Beolab 11.

Best would be to connect the 2 speakers attached to the Beosound 3200 right now to the subwoofer (so filtering of frequencies is managed by the Sub).

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 12:27 PM
I’d say none without some tricks.

Steve of Sounds Heavenly probably has one up his sleeves Smile

I once jury rigged a master link cable to drive some 6000s as an experiment — but issues like trigger signal and keeping the subwoofer alive would be beyond me — however others on the forum have that expertise.

Another option would be a black box approach. Here the issues might include signal delay in getting the audio signal to transit the ML input > black box processing > PL output.

The black boxes I am thinking of are:

1. An Active kit

2. A BLC NL/ML Converter

3. The predecessor of the Essence (my mind is drawing a blank; MM will know if it can be done as he has one), and finally?

4. One of the Almado boxes ???

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 12:31 PM
kallasr:

You powerlink socket to connect Beolab 2 or Beolab 11.

Best would be to connect the 2 speakers attached to the Beosound 3200 right now to the subwoofer (so filtering of frequencies is managed by the Sub).

Ralf

Ralf’s answer is far more sensible.

For example I have a powerlink from my Essence to a BL11 subwoofer and then a daisy chain to two BL6000s.

Note to self: do not answer any BeoWorld questions after 🥂🥂

BeoNut since '75

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi max65special,

Please use the two Powerlink sockets to connect speakers and a subwoofer, the Masterlink socket is for linking the B&O system to other rooms and the Aux socket is for connecting other music players (eg. an iPod) to the B&O system.

For best results, please connect Beolab 2 or 11 to one of the Powerlink sockets with a Powerlink cable (https://soundsheavenly.com/powerlink-8-pin-din-connection/powerlink-mk-3-compatible-8-pin-din-cable-with-4-cores-wired-low-profile-cable) and then connect your other Beolab speakers to the output sockets of the subwoofer.  This way, the subwoofer can manage the bass being sent to each speaker for the best sound.

You can also use Beolab 18, or any non-B&O active (powered) subwoofer, but different cables are needed.  If you have a specific subwoofer that you wish to use, please post the model number and I will be pleased to confirm how to connect this to the Powerlink socket of the Beosound.

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS