Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

[FIXED]Apple TV4K connecting to a Beovision 7-40 non HDMI

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

flying_viking
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member
flying_viking Posted: Thu, Nov 18 2021 7:48 PM

Good day,

My father in law has a Beovision 7-40 which is connected to a Beolab 7 speaker system. We have connected the Apple TV4K to a Nedis HDMI extractor. The extractor gives 3.5 mm jack audio out which is connected to RCA red and white(L/R) and HDMI cable which is connected to the TV with a HDMI to DVI adapter. We connected the RCA audio cables to the AV4 inputs on the TV.

Now the problem is that we get a quality picture but no audio. I’ve tried using the RCA cables to a smartphone and playing music on the AV4. That works. I can then see the Apple TV menu and listening to music from my phone. 

The Nedis extractor works on other TV’s in the house.  

Tried setting the audio from the Apple TV to Stereo. Did not work. I am not sure how to fix this.

Can you help me?

Thank you! 

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 8:19 PM

Hi, flying_viking and welcome.

Please see this thread: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/46321.aspx?PageIndex=1.

I do a similar thing (with a 7-32) and in the connections menu I choose 'none' at the audio input. Could this work for you?

Regards, Johan

flying_viking
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Thanks for your reply Johan.

In the connections Menu I chose AV4 and set it to DVI and in the rest I chose none.

No audio still. I am wondering if maybe a Powerlink to 3.5mm jack would help.

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 8:38 PM

The PowerLink sockets are for connecting speakers, that will not help you.

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 9:00 PM

flying_viking:

Thanks for your reply Johan.

In the connections Menu I chose AV4 and set it to DVI and in the rest I chose none.

No audio still. I am wondering if maybe a Powerlink to 3.5mm jack would help.

You did select a source right? Like DTV or PC?

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 9:00 PM

sorry double post (again)

flying_viking
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Hi again,

Yes I selected DTV. DVI selected and no audio source. This is on AV4.

So far I've got a good quality picture but no sound.

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Thu, Nov 18 2021 9:43 PM

Weird! I am not sure if I can be of more help. It looks like the TV is fine (as you can hear the music from your phone while watching the video of the ATV). Maybe a stupid idea, but could you test the audio output of the Nedis extractor with a headset? Will be loud probably, be aware.

flying_viking
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Yep it's strange. I tried connecting a headset to the extractor and there was no sound. Might be that it's broken.

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 6:43 AM

flying_viking:

Yep it's strange. I tried connecting a headset to the extractor and there was no sound. Might be that it's broken.

You are powering the extractor, right? Just to be sure.

See also Guy's thread on this matter here: https://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/47367.aspx

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 9:51 AM

flying_viking:

I had the 'no sound' problem when trying to use an Atlona AT-HD-M2C as an audio extractor.  As in your case, the sound worked when the hdmi output went to other non-B&O TVs in the house, but not when feeding the output to my BV6 via DVI.

I chatted to Atlona helpline (which was very good, especially as I had bought the device second hand) and eventually they suggested it may be an EDID problem.  They suggested adding an EDID emulator between the Atlona and the TV.  This didn't work initially but then I tried moving the EDID emulator to a position between the Apple TV and the audio extractor (Atlona) - this worked!

In your situation I would probably try a different audio extractor first, but if you want to try an EDID emulator then this is the one that worked for me: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connect-Feeader-Emulator-Compatable-Comfortable/dp/B08GM3FH3S

I meant to update my other thread with my Atlona audio extractor experience, but have just 'upgraded' from a BV6 to a BV10-32 and moved into the modern age of hdmi inputs!

Ravsted
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 345
Bronze Member
Ravsted replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 10:58 AM

Hi,

I had this problem too.

When the extractor was connected to a DVI input of a computer monitor with build in speakers the extractor was actually outputting audio.

When the extractor was connected to a BV7 via DVI it did not. I concluded the EDID of the Beovision is telling "hey, I am a monitor with no speakers". 

I added a cheap HDMI 1:2 splitter after the extractor which manipulated the EDID information.

In my opinion your audio extractor (and the one I had) is wrongly build. It should output audio independent of the EDID information received.

There are extractors with HDMI in + DVI and Audio out. I would assume those will work. Mine were HDMI in and HDMI + Audio out 

Regards 

Ravsted

Johan
Top 200 Contributor
Bolsward, NL
Posts 450
Gold Member
Johan replied on Fri, Nov 19 2021 3:54 PM

I guess I have been lucky when I bought my cheap extractors not knowing this EDID thing!

flying_viking
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Bronze Member

Hey Johan,

A little update, the problem is fixed. 

bought an Amazon Basics hdmi extractor and that worked. Just like mentioned above there was some miscommunication between the other extractor we tries from Nedis.

Amazon Basics HDMI extractor did the trick. Using RCA L/R to mini jack and Hdmi to dvi converter with the Apple TV 4K 

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sun, Nov 28 2021 8:12 PM

Great news - thanks for letting us know! Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS