Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Installing the Essence (mk 2) IR eye (SOLVED)

rated by 0 users
This post has 47 Replies | 1 Follower

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant Posted: Sat, Feb 27 2016 4:25 PM

Sorry to have to ask however the search function and B&O's FAQ is not turning up what I am looking for.

Is there a simple check list/ set of instructions for installing the official IR Eye on an Essence Mark iI ?

I have wired it myself, plugged it in, but even using the IR Eye's own buttons do not work.

Do I have a DOA (dead on arrival)? or an incorrect DIY wiring?

Or is there a simple activation step I have missed?

I have looked at http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13309/session/L3Nuby8yL3RpbWUvMTQ1NjU1NjkyMy9zaWQvdEl4a2M2S20%3D

As an aside, I cant find the beoworld post which talks about putting the wheely remote into different modes.

Nor can I find a description of the Essence's configuration guide/ software setup instructions.

Any and all suggestions and links would be gratefully received.

BeoNut since '75

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 5:25 PM

Hope these help:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.13.89.94/Schermafbeelding-2015_2D00_07_2D00_25-om-14.56.13.png

http://beointegration.com/uploaded/BeoSound_Essence_Remote_IR_modes.pdf

Also, soundsheavenly has an IR cable specifically for this purpose, the listing states that a wiring chart is included... maybe they can send you a PDF since you don't need the cable.

Keep us posted.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

According to my previous informations, one should be able to toggle through the sources of the Essence by tapping the Join button (on the ir eye) - just like on the 'Wheely'.

Could you confirm this (if so), when you get things going.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Iceman10245
Top 500 Contributor
Berlin - Germany Nova Santa Ponsa-Islas Baleares
Posts 186
Bronze Member

Also I have the problem. I have the IR eye in the Essence (MKI), however, notice not that it has any effect.

BeoVision 7-40 HD-Modul, BeoViision 11-40, BeoVision 8 32" white + Floor Stand, 2x Apple TV 4 mit Kodi, DVD2, HDR2, BeoSound 9000 MKIII White Edition, 2x BeoSound Moment + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound Stage, BeoSound Core, BeoSound 35 brass,  BeoSound 1 MKII + Floor Stand, 2x BeoSound 3, BeoSound 6, BeoSound 3200, BeoSound Essence ,  BeoPlay A9 Nordic Sky twilight, BeoPlay A8 MKII white + Floor Stand, BeoPlay A2 grey, 2x BeoPlay A3 white/bright blue, BeoPlay A1, 2x BeoPlay S3 white,   Beolit 12 (White Edition), Beogram TX2, BeoLab 5, BeoLab 3, BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 8000 MKII, Beolab 11, 2x BeoLab 3500, 4x LC2, 4x Beo4 - MK1-3, BeoRemonte One BT, 2x BeoRemonte Halo, Audio Terminal, Beolink 1000, BeoLink 7000, 2x EarSet A8, 3x A9 Keyring, EarSet 2, Form2, BeoPlay H6, 3x BeoTime, Beowatch, 2x Lightmanager Pro+ B&o Version, 4x BeoCom5, Beoline2, 3x Speakerphone, BeoTalk 1200, 5x Cabinets, MLGW, BLGW, 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 8:08 PM

Thanks Sal, the IR modes document was what I was looking for as I was not sure if the "base station" had to have its mode changed --- and that is not the case, the modes were for repurposing the wheely.

I shall keep investigating !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 8:10 PM

Iceman10245:

Also I have the problem. I have the IR eye in the Essence (MKI), however, notice not that it has any effect.

Thank you Iceman - that gives me hope that the unit may been have poor manufacturing.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 8:14 PM

Millemissen:
one should be able to toggle through the sources of the Essence by tapping the Join button (on the ir eye) - just like on the 'Wheely'.

Thanks MM - I tried that - and PLAY and even OFF once I had started it via the iPhone, and also volume controls (^ v) while it was playing from the iPhone/Deezer and no reaction.

So that is pointing to my wiring it incorrectly (I'll triple check today) or given Iceman's response, that there may be at least two Dead-On-Arrival-s out there.

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 9:11 PM

Sal:

Also, soundsheavenly has an IR cable specifically for this purpose, the listing states that a wiring chart is included... maybe they can send you a PDF since you don't need the cable.

FYI everyone, I ordered a cable and an eye, and the eye came with its own cable anyway !

However the B&O instructions were for two types of cables - a short length one (like Steve's) or a long cable drum version.

(( as referenced in the diagram in your link http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.13.89.94/Schermafbeelding-2015_2D00_07_2D00_25-om-14.56.13.png ))

What was weird is that the two cables had different wiring instructions ! not shown in your diagram !! so B&O Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member
abyss replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 9:11 PM

Hello

I also had trouble to get the IR on the Essence working until i found this in FAQ of B&O:

http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13309/~/how-do-i-activate-sources-using-beoremote-one-or-beo4%3F

As soon as i actived this on the beo4 everthing was working as wished. I now can even use my BeoTime!

You may try this.

Cheers 

Urs

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 9:19 PM

abyss:

Hello

I also had trouble to get the IR on the Essence working until i found this in FAQ of B&O:

http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13309/~/how-do-i-activate-sources-using-beoremote-one-or-beo4%3F

As soon as i actived this on the beo4 everthing was working as wished. I now can even use my BeoTime!

You may try this.

Cheers 

Urs

Thanks Urs, I did see that article, and I tried setting up my BeoRemote ... I am certain I did not understand the BeoRemote Sad so that's when I tested the buttons on the control puc/ disk.

When they did not work I thought the wiring might be wrong -- or I have a defective unit (like Iceman).

I might use one of my Beo4s in your experiment.

BeoNut since '75

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member
abyss replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 9:30 PM

Ooh, now I see you posted the same link :-)

I may have to mention, that it was only working when i restartet the essence, programmed the Essence Remote and finally the Beo4 in front of the Essence. Before that it wasn't really working.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@abyss

And how about the 'toggle function' on the eye itself (Join button) - does that work as supposed?

MM

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member
abyss replied on Sat, Feb 27 2016 11:58 PM

@MM

Works as supposed and no troubles in my setting.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 28 2016 3:04 AM

abyss:
Ooh, now I see you posted the same link :-)

Yes, I do that for the convenience of people following the thread (save them doing their own copy & paste et cetera et cetera).

abyss:
I may have to mention, that it was only working when i restartet the essence, programmed the Essence Remote and finally the Beo4 in front of the Essence. Before that it wasn't really working.

Good idea ! Let me test by doing that !!

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 28 2016 3:13 AM

elephant:

abyss:

Good idea ! Let me test by doing that !!

Sad still no luck.

I will need to unscrew the wall mount and check the wiring.

If that is "correct" according to the above PDFs then I will declare the unit DOA and go back to the B&O store tomorrow/Tuesday.

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

In the essence brochure it says 

G IR-IN
For future use.

So does this effectively mean it's not enabled yet?

May I ask a dumb question: why would you want the IR in if you have the wheely? or is this in lieu of that?

:-)

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 28 2016 4:58 AM

Aussie Michael:
For future use.
the future has arrived

the IR works (on/off, volume, join)

Aussie Michael:
May I ask a dumb question: why would you want the IR in if you have the wheely?

Simple answer: to use a remote

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 28 2016 5:37 AM

Iceman10245:

Thank you Sal, Urs and MM; perhaps your steering me to the right answer will also help Iceman.

So it was the wiring that was wrong; but I also needed to restart the Essence, so thanks for that tip !

First wiring mistake was to follow the colour code in the table (see the PDF mentioned above) rather than the actual wiring sequence for the block attached to the printed circuit board.  (So I had started with "brown" and it should have been "green").

Second wiring mistake was assuming the block worked in the old fashioned way - stick in a wire and adjust screw to clamp <b>down</b> the wire.  WRONG.  So even if I had had a perfect sequence the wires would have not been anchored in place correctly.

Turning the screw raises (like a draw bridge) the metal tongue to clamp <b>UP</b> the wire !!  In other words it worked back to front from my previous experiences, and it was only obvious when I squinted very closely and rotated the screw to watch which parts of the metal assemble were moving and in which direction.

I (this time) confirmed the attachment was solid (and therefore the circuit was solid) with little tugs.

Thirdly as part of the plugging in I pressed the 'restart" switch (sets Essence to off), attached the IR cable, pressed the "restart" switch again (starts the reboot), and listened to the series of pop, pop, ops on the speakers, watched the flashing lights inside the Essence, and best of all, watched the green flashing "play" button light on the IR Eye/Puc !  That process lasted about 60 seconds.

Now I can start, stop, flip sources, increase and decrease volume of the IR Eye buttons, I can use my BeoRemote One (Yay!!!), and the wheely .... but my very old Beo 4 does not work - I may ignore the Beo4 or have another go a setting it up, however I suspect only the recent NAVI Beo4s will work on the Essence.

Thank you every one - problem now solved, listening to Deezer as selected by my BeoRemote One's options Big Smile

<<Can some one VOTE that this post is the right ANSWER ?>> DONE & DONE !!

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 28 2016 5:52 AM

Post Script:

elephant:
but my very old Beo 4 does not work - I may ignore the Beo4 or have another go a setting it up, however I suspect only the recent NAVI Beo4s will work on the Essence.

I redid the Beo4 A.OPT 1 and my old Beo 4 does work !

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Excellent - thanks for being the test pilot ;-)

MM

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member
abyss replied on Sun, Feb 28 2016 9:14 AM

@elephant

Glad to hear that everything is working now.

@Aussie Michael

As Carolpa said: to use a remote. The wheely is alright but if you want to change for example the radio station you can't change directly. The essence is in my bedroom (with a pair of Beolab 4000), the wheely is at the entrance at the wall (for a quick start when i enter or shut down when i leave) and a beotime and a Beo4 are by my bed. I now can wake up again with music again (I was really missing that feature). Because i replaced the anoying wireless 1 with the Essence, the Beo4 and Beotime became useless. And, i do not wish to take my Iphone to my bed ;-)

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Feb 29 2016 3:22 PM

I'm considering an IR eye for my Essence simply for the fact that I find Bluetooth volume control from the Wheely to be less than precise. I'd love for immediate and accurate volume control rather than the somewhat delayed and inaccurate bluetooth operation. I seem to always overshoot and have to correct myself. 

For those who maybe using the Wheely in IR mode with their Essence, can you tell me whether the control is more accurate and without delay as compared to bluetooth operation?

Thank you!

Also, I'm glad you got things working elephant, I'll be referencing this thread should I go the IR route. Yes - thumbs up

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member
abyss replied on Mon, Feb 29 2016 7:45 PM

@Sal

As far as my experiences go (a few weeks now) it is much more accurate and without any delay . It feels much smoother than the wheely. I'm very happy with it.

carlito
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 239
Bronze Member
carlito replied on Tue, Mar 1 2016 10:28 AM

I'm using the wheel in bluetooth mode (installed on the wall) and the external IR-eye for the Beo4 commands. Both are working well together...

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 10 2016 5:40 PM

I have just connected an ir eye to my Essence MKII but can not get it to work. It is totally non-responsive to the Beo 4 and the buttons do not work.

I have tried two different eyes, one from a Beoport with no lettering on the buttons and one from a Beolink Active with the lettering on the buttons. I have tried Audio Option 1 with the Beo 4.  I have restarted the Essence and it makes the noises through the speakers as it is restarting. I have inserted the wires into the holes, turned the screws clockwise which causes the clamp to move towards the screw and clamp down on the wire.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 10 2016 5:48 PM

Should the eye have a red like blink when I set the Audio option?  Nothing happens on mine.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 10 2016 10:30 PM

Maybe the eyes I have are not compatible?  I notice a reference in this thread to a green light and a join button. My eyes do not have either of those.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Oct 11 2016 10:58 PM

Reset the Essence and reinstalled it. Still does not work. Any suggestions from anyone?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Oct 12 2016 1:13 PM

No thoughts/solutions from anybody?

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Oct 12 2016 3:32 PM

I've read this thread multiple times. the only thing I can think of to ask is whether the the IR eyes which others have that are working are the exact same model as the one that you're using, Razlaw. 

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Oct 12 2016 4:07 PM
Very good question Sal. Can others tell me what type of eye you are using?

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Wed, Oct 12 2016 5:32 PM

hello razlaw, 

have you tried to change the ir-mode from the wheelie? here's the link to the german faq's from b&o:  

http://bogode.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10136/kw/essence%20remote/related/1

i just finished installing the ir-eye and the wheelie works well (gotta confess not to have checked any of my remotes)

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Oct 12 2016 9:15 PM
I don't have a wheelie to use with the Essence. I have one elsewhere in the house mounted on a wall that I use with other products, in ir mode.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Oct 13 2016 7:41 PM

I think we have may have a first here....a B and O problem for which nobody on Beoworld has a solution Smile

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Fri, Oct 14 2016 10:39 AM

Razlaw:

I think we have may have a first here....a B and O problem for which nobody on Beoworld has a solution Smile

Did you check the cabling and did you check it with the new IR eye from B&O intendet to use with the Essence and the NL/ML-Converter?

btw: It is not a first: There are enough problems where Beoworld doesn't provide any solutions...  ;)

mjmedlo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 922
Bronze Member
mjmedlo replied on Fri, Oct 14 2016 11:05 AM
Razlaw:

I have just connected an ir eye to my Essence MKII but can not get it to work. It is totally non-responsive to the Beo 4 and the buttons do not work.

I have tried two different eyes, one from a Beoport with no lettering on the buttons and one from a Beolink Active with the lettering on the buttons. I have tried Audio Option 1 with the Beo 4. I have restarted the Essence and it makes the noises through the speakers as it is restarting. I have inserted the wires into the holes, turned the screws clockwise which causes the clamp to move towards the screw and clamp down on the wire.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm afraid this won't work as the literature describes.

You might find some literature somewhere on connecting them.

The new 'eyes' colors are different I think.

I've seen this before with a beosystem 3 eye connected to a passive kit.

It can probably work to receive ir commands. Ut that would probably be it.

egges
Top 500 Contributor
germoney
Posts 303
Bronze Member
egges replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 4:57 PM

hi razlaw, may this link help with your issue to run the essence with the beo4: 

http://bogo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13309/kw/beoremote

Wohnzimmer: BeoVision Avant 55", BeoLab 11, 12-2 und 12-3 für 5.1-Sound +  appleTV 4K und Philips BluRay-Player; BeoSound 2, BeoSound 3000 (fast nur noch Deko)////Schlafzimmer: BeoEssence MkII, BeoLab 4000 + Samsung 46"-TV////Büro: BLC NL/ML, BeoSound 35, Thorens TD320MkII, Samsung 32"-TV, WesternDigital 4TB-Server////Bad: BeoLab 2000; alles CAT7 verkabelt////Küche: M5 (drahtlos) plus diverse apple-Geräte (imac, macbook, ipads, iphones, timecapsule, watch)

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 5:33 PM
I think the problem is the wrong kind of eye. I need to order a new eye for use specifically with the Essence.

abyss
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Bronze Member

You need Tor Order the new ir-eye. There is now a join Button (instead of timer i think). As soon you press the Button the essence will join the for ex. Your Moment in the livingroom. Works really well.

Sorry for the late answer, didn't really check the Forum.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Oct 17 2016 8:53 PM

If this IR eye is purchased, is there wiring involved, or does it come with the appropriate plug end already installed for use with the Essence?

Page 1 of 2 (48 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS