Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beo 5 / 6 batteries

This post has 15 Replies | 6 Followers

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx Posted: Mon, Oct 26 2015 10:17 PM

Hi all,

I have 2 x Beo 6 and 1 x Beo 5, all of which could do with replacement batteries as the originals don't hold much charge now.

I looked into replacements from B&O a while ago, but at over £100 for 3 batteries I decided I'd build some new packs instead and I'm going to add the necessary parts to my next component order (which will probably be early next week).

I just thought I'd check whether anyone else would be interested in one or more replacement battery packs for their Beo5/6 remotes? The cost would be about 12 GBP each, plus postage. I could bring the cost down further by using unbranded cells, but often these end up having nowhere near the stated capacity so I think it is false economy to do so.

Martin.

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 7:45 AM

I used those batteries to replace the old one of my Beo 5:

http://www.akkushop.de/de/accucell-2hhr140-akku-passend-fuer-rasierer-24-volt-1400mah/

it's a 2HHR140 cell which is commonly found in electric shavers. You'l need to solder them!

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 12:39 PM

Hi,

I would be interested in 2 sets if I didn't have to do any soldering ( my skills are still not that great)

thanks

Toby

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 6:32 PM

TWG:

I used those batteries to replace the old one of my Beo 5:

http://www.akkushop.de/de/accucell-2hhr140-akku-passend-fuer-rasierer-24-volt-1400mah/

it's a 2HHR140 cell which is commonly found in electric shavers. You'l need to solder them!

Thanks TWG.

The individual cells are known as "4/5AA size", ie same diameter as a standard AA, but 80% (4/5ths) of the length. I think 2HHR140 is just a part number for that particular supplier / manufacturer but I could be wrong.

In case anyone else wants to build their own pack from scratch, you'll also need a 47k ohm NTC thermistor and the small 3 pin plug with leads (I think this is a Molex picoblade connector but will confirm this once I've had an opportunity to compare), plus a small length of 65mm wide (not diameter) heat shrink. Obviously if you have the existing battery pack you could take the thermistor and connector from that.

I'm sceptical of claimed capacity greater than 1350mAh as all of the branded cells I have found have had a maximum capacity in the 1300-1350mAh range so anything above this on an unbranded cell is likely to be down to at best optimistic testing methodologies or at worst pure marketing hype, but the charge / discharge rates of the Beo5/6 remotes are pretty gentle so it is unlikely to be too much of an issue anyway. I have however come across some absolutely dire cells in the past so tend to stick with known manufacturers.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Tue, Oct 27 2015 6:52 PM

badgersurf:

Hi,

I would be interested in 2 sets if I didn't have to do any soldering ( my skills are still not that great)

thanks

Toby

Hi Toby,

I'll be doing the assembly so no soldering required on your part. None of my usual suppliers carry the sanyo cells as used by B&O, indeed I've not managed to find any UK source for these, but I'll use branded cells with the same capacity so in every practical sense they'll be the same as the original packs.

You'll just need a T6 torx screwdriver to unscrew the base of the remote and the battery clamp.

Kind regards,

Martin.

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
Excellent, drop me a message when you are ready and I will sort out payment etc

Thanks

Toby
riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Sat, Nov 14 2015 9:56 PM

Hi Toby,

Just a quick update. I wanted to order what I thought would be the correct connectors first, just in case they were wrong, and these have taken a while to arrive, but I have now received them and they are correct so I will order the other parts needed and drop you a message once I've assembled the finished battery packs.

For reference, in case anyone else needs to do the same in the future, they are indeed 3 pin Molex picoblade connectors.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member
badgersurf replied on Sun, Nov 15 2015 12:51 PM

Hi Martin,

excellent news.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member

Ok, I had a little spare time today so I've completed the battery packs.

I assembled two for my beo6's almost a fortnight ago and they are still showing over 50% charged. I haven't used the remotes in that time so they've just been sat idle, but it's still a massive improvement on the my original battery packs which had deteriorated such that they would go from fully charged to flat in around 24 hours (even without use).

I opted for GP cells in the end, they're manufactured in china but GP is a well known brand so they should provide decent long term reliability and capacity without being excessively expensive.

badgersurf - drop send me an email with your address and I'll work out postage cost. The packs will be £10 each rather than 12 as the parts cost a little less than I had budgeted for.

If anyone else would one let me know as I still have a few spares - I had to buy some of the component parts in multiples so it seemed sensible to use them up. I'm happy to post anywhere in the EU but further afield and things unfortunately start to get complicated because of customs forms and restrictions on shipping batteries.

Kind Regards,

Martin.

riverstyx
Top 100 Contributor
SouthWest UK
Posts 938
Bronze Member
riverstyx replied on Thu, Apr 28 2016 11:37 PM

To user 'raveny' who emailed me - the email account (@gmx.de) you have used with your beoworld account does not work so I have been unable to respond to your enquiry.

Please update your email address and contact me again and I will be happy to assist.

Kind regards,

Martin.

Stoobietoo
Top 150 Contributor
Exeter, Devon, UK
Posts 692
Gold Member

Hi Martin,

Can you please let me know if you are able to supply a battery for my Beo 5. I see you are based in Exeter and that is where I am too so maybe I could collect.

Many thanks

Stuart (stoobie)

pf85
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 284
Bronze Member
pf85 replied on Wed, Oct 11 2017 6:53 PM

Martin, you can do me one as well for a beo 6. Can I send you a separate email with my Germannshipping address.  

Great project!

kind regards

Peter

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

I am also interested for Beo5.

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

fabuk2
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Silver Member
fabuk2 replied on Sun, Sep 9 2018 7:17 AM

Hi

Do you have any of these battery packs for sale

You e mail me directly on fabuk2@uk2.net or my mobile 0780-726687.

Thanks Adrian

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Mon, Sep 10 2018 9:18 AM
Could I purchase and store them for a few months?...

Would they lose charge?...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

gadams
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Gold Member
gadams replied on Thu, Oct 17 2019 7:12 PM

Hi Martin,

I see this is an old thread but wondered if you are still able to supply batteries for Beo5/6? I am after three sets in all if you gave them.

if you no longer do them would you know of anyone else who is making them?

Regards,

Gary

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS