Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

TX2 sound issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM Posted: Mon, Feb 22 2021 12:59 AM

Happy Siunday! or Monday depending on where you live!

Yesterday my TX2 started sounding strange - on 33rpm. the sound seemed like it was missing the music from the other channel - but both channels were working! I tried a 45 record on 45rpm and it sounded fine. 

I thought maybe receiver issues (Beombaster 6000) but it plays other inputs through both DIN and RCA jacks just fine. I also switched from my mmc3 to my rebuilt mmc4 cartridge and same issue...

Does anyone have even the faintest idea what could be wrong? I'm stumped...

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:55 PM

Hi,

is the sound ok, when the tonearm had travelled near the center of the record? About where the 45 plays.

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 2:40 AM

Excellent question.  I’ll check tonight 

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 6:49 PM

Well, Strangely it did seem to have some of that missing music but it sounded "fuzzy" definitely still pretty messed up.

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Tue, Feb 23 2021 7:31 PM
Well, there may be a crack somewhere in the tone arm wire, especially the part that moves with the tone arm assembly. Another issue might be the mutig switch which is about not to fully open the channels while playing. There is a eccentric screw to adjust the switching point.

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 12:33 AM

Thanks!  I will check out the second option looking at the picture. do you happen to know the procedure for making that adjustment?  

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 1:01 AM

I tried to upload pics but suffice it to say that my pics look identical to yours. I see nothing "wrong". What should I be looking for and what do I do if adjustment in necessary. The cracked wires in the tonearm are beyond my capabilities.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

ProGram
Top 200 Contributor
59269 Beckum, Germany
Posts 383
Bronze Member
ProGram replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 4:24 AM

The procedure is as simple as try and error. As a Silver member here, you are allowed to download the service manual. There is one manual for all the latest tangential decks (Beogram 3000 - 7000 and TX2). That instruction is for technichians, because they use an ohmmeter to determine, when the switch is closed (= sound is muted).

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 3:27 PM

OK thanks!

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Mon, Mar 1 2021 4:56 AM

I figured it out! Seems my connection from the turntable to the Phono Amp wasn't good. Had some connectors allowing me to plug in two sets of RCA jacks. This was bad. I removed the connectors and all is good now! Thanks again!

RobM
Not Ranked
Cary IL
Posts 42
Bronze Member
RobM replied on Mon, Mar 1 2021 4:56 AM

I figured it out! Seems my connection from the turntable to the Phono Amp wasn't good. Had some connectors allowing me to plug in two sets of RCA jacks. This was bad. I removed the connectors and all is good now! Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS